Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The problem with regenerating health and refilling spellcasts it that you can't *not* rest.

I wonder if spells can be turned to be per encounter by modding.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
yup you can change all variables in the ability files in Deadfire.

but this is also available for POE 1 by using IE Mod as well and also the opposite (make all spells per-rest).

axedice

Cipher
Why the rollback though? Might effecting spells was stupid to begin with. Why turn back after correcting it?

So aweigh is it possible to mod companion classes/subclasses aswell? I want to play with Eder but I'd like to build him with more specific options

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why the rollback though? Might effecting spells was stupid to begin with. Why turn back after correcting it?

The original rule set worked; they seemed to be struggling with making the new STR/RES rules work.

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with linking spell damage and healing strength to Might. It’s a fictional magic system. What’s crazy about making the intensity of your damage dealing spells depend on physical strength? Why wouldn’t casting a spell be physically taxing? Makes sense to me.

Resolve still controls the length of buffs and debuffs, so your wizard needs no muscles if you’re using him the right way.

Tygrende

Arbiter
So Might will still affect all types of damage in Deadfire, including firearms and such? Will my muscles make the bullets hit harder like they did in the first game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So Might will still affect all types of damage in Deadfire, including firearms and such? Will my muscles make the bullets hit harder like they did in the first game?

Yes, that was never changed.

axedice

Cipher
There’s absolutely nothing wrong with linking spell damage and healing strength to Might.

It's not consistent with the theme of wizardry at a very basic level. If you want spells taxing your wizard physically (because you've read one too many Dragonlance novels as a teenager), then use Constitution modifiers for your mana pool. It just "feels" stupid to tie together the attribute of stronger fireballs and stronger axe swings.

And while PoE casters are best utilized as CC and buff/debuff dispansers rather than direct damage, the inconsistency makes my inner autist tingle. I do not like the feeling.

Have to agree with might/str affecting firearms aswell, they should've let firearms unaffected from might but instead given them higher penetration / crits etc. But that could've been fun to play around with, and that's one thing we should never ever allow in our games.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
autist mastermind Pierre already solved this resting problem ages ago with Knights of the Chalice he did the unbelievable!! thing of not allowing resting inside dungeons or combat-only areas unless inside a saferoom

can you fucking imagine that crazy shit!!

EDIT: Yes I fucking know KotC isnt the first game to do this... thats my point. Such a simple solution and it boggles my brain how Sawyer bends over backwards trying to complicate it
Josh have the RIGHT DIRECTION problem is food bonuses are retarded and irelevant just like food he should just copy darkest dungeon nad pathfinder kingmaker systems and made then into hybrids. For example the more you have survival skill the better are passive/active survival ablites which would make you holding into them longer and longer because they are powerfull and thye last longer.

Iskramor

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
you should really play knights of the chalice. If you even remotely enjoy isometric turn-based combat (specifically D&D 3.5 edition ala Temple of Elemental Evil) then KotC is simply put the best adaptation ever made for it.

also the game repeatedly tells you to keep multiple saves so its on you. its not for normies so yes I know that sadly making dungeons for grown-ups is out of the question for commercial games.
Knights of the chalice? More like knights of the bad graphics lol

Tygrende

Arbiter
Have to agree with might/str affecting firearms aswell, they should've let firearms unaffected from might but instead given them higher penetration / crits etc. But that could've been fun to play around with, and that's one thing we should never ever allow in our games.
One thing I still don't understand is why firearms were given a -0.3 crit damage penalty in the first game. It makes sense for arbalests because they also inflict prone on crits, but firearms are meant to have the highest single hit damage in the game. Ignoring 6 DR does not make up for the loss of 30% damage, it barely makes up for the accuracy penalty and lower range.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
There being a single stat that affects all damage dealt is bad both as gameplay design and from rp perspective. Putting spell damage and heal into resolve was a step in the right direction. Firearms being disconnected from attributes, having really high damage and penetration but very long reloading times would make them interesting choices as burst sticks as well.

Of course that would go against streamlining. Daily reminder streamlining is the worst. Especially when people equate streamlining with balance, they are related in that former makes latter easier but they are not equal.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
ADULTS

DISCUSSING REST SYSTEMS

See, this is what you got wrong. There are no more adults in the west in 2018.
You might be talking about manchildren.

This is the most retarded post I have read in 2018, so gratuitous and lacking in self-awareness too. Congratulations.
And you are blind and deaf good sir.
But that is almost a chronic disease for all PoE fanboys.

Parabalus

Arcane
There being a single stat that affects all damage dealt is bad both as gameplay design and from rp perspective. Putting spell damage and heal into resolve was a step in the right direction. Firearms being disconnected from attributes, having really high damage and penetration but very long reloading times would make them interesting choices as burst sticks as well.

Of course that would go against streamlining. Daily reminder streamlining is the worst. Especially when people equate streamlining with balance, they are related in that former makes latter easier but they are not equal.

Then you are back at the IE system, with several useless attributes per class.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
"Every character having several bad attributes was a superior system design" - RPG Codex.

"Let me respec my companions because I'm triggered by bad attributes" - also RPG Codex.

Ent

Savant
Oh shit this means the Helwalker/cleric alpha strike+burst healing build is back.

Sentinel

Arcane

There's nothing wrong with that in a class-based system. I swear the majority of PoE players actually hate class-based RPGs.

Trashos

Arcane
I am glad per-rest spells are gone. How exactly do you design/balance the 3rd encounter of a 3-encounter string in a per-rest system? I could never wrap my head around that.

Hopefully they won't bring them back.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

You could give attributes actual effects that dumping them has negative consequences instead of being literally irrelevant. One attribute affecting all damage puts it above other attributes, and indeed you can see in most builds people maximise might at cost of everything else.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom