Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Shadenuat

Arcane
You know game, the final twist was OK (not due banality of it, but despite it and due to character(s) behind it), but

you realise it's enough to put Rean into his brooding shit mode for the rest of this one and for the good half of the next game too, right?

:dead:

inb4 massive drama and choosing between ze duty and friends and

ooh Fie gave me a hug
k all forgiven

a vote for Osborne
is a vote for Prosperity!

liek hory shiet, Orobouros got cucked :lol: Vita crawling with tail between her legs was golden

I will cheer for Ironbloods from now on and deman invasion of Liberl(s)

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Olivier steals the show even as a Quest giver. :love:
do you think olivier has done it with schera?

Not only do I think that she has felt the wrath of Olivier's serpent, but Josh as well, as whatever Olivier wants, Olivier gets.

You know game, the final twist was OK (not due banality of it, but despite it and due to character(s) behind it), but

you realise it's enough to put Rean into his brooding shit mode for the rest of this one and for the good half of the next game too, right?

:dead:

inb4 massive drama and choosing between ze duty and friends and

ooh Fie gave me a hug
k all forgiven

a vote for Osborne
is a vote for Prosperity!

liek hory shiet, Orobouros got cucked :lol: Vita crawling with tail between her legs was golden

I will cheer for Ironbloods from now on and deman invasion of Liberl(s)

The scene where Rean cuts down several Calvard airships with Valimar was one of the highlights of the story for me. It finally felt like he was a genuine military combatant for a change.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
look i cant be bothered to go thru all of these trails threads:

question 1: which version is the best one for each trails game / what mods are needed (if any i only ask because i saw some chatter about editing or some shit)

question 2: i assume trails in the sky FC then SC then trails of colt steel 1 and then 2 is the logical order right

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Q1 PC always

Mods are optional, only ones are 4k texture mods and they're a bitch to get working

FC then SC then Trials the Third then CS1 is highly preferable, the foreshadowing in Trails the third is neat af

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'll hop in and say that the games between Sky and Cold Steel are undergoing translation atm. By the time you're finished with Sky, one of em might be released!

https://geofront.esterior.net/

Also, only 'mod' I'd recommend is installing Cheatengine's and using it's speedhack to quicken stuff up. It's comfier to use than the built-in speedhack the game has.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Having a piece of forbidden cake I assume Lloyd is one of more reasonable male protagonists of Trails series and I would rather be in his game instead this one judging by just one intermission (and hot ninja with adorable sweet voice).

Shadenuat

Arcane
Can't wait for 3d game to ruin best character by making him some crazy evil motherfucker searching for ancient mcguffin a-la JRPG classics.

The final dungeon and boss sucked though. I did turn Alfin into AND THAT WRAPS IT ALL UP IN A TINY NEAT LITTLE

was fun

Some notes on characters:

- Alisa is an obvious take on anime media using blond women as trophies and main leads to attract attention of the japanese audience. If you don't know, it's an old marketing trick in anime - blonde girls sell there, which is why she is the one they try to sell to you with plot and romance line, and that's one of the reasons she looks like a canon choice. The only one who managed to outdo her a little during final bonding event was Sara. Guess hot teacher has her ways, eh?
Note how little she means for the main plot of the 2d game though, and gets almost no growth at all.

- Emma is like the other way around, she is probably the most important girl to the story. Yet at the same time, she seems to always end up being underplayed.
That's because writers handled her whole and most important role to her cat :lol:
If before Emma was the one to walk you through magical and strange and Knight-relevant, writers decided she has to wait for a while to get into party, so it's Celine which took her role. As their roles split, Emma ended up without purpose in the plot and thus, unimportant.

- Jusis is an AlBROreia so for what little time game gives him, left a pleasant impression on me. Considering he is the brother of one of major acting characters in the war he should have gotten more stuff going for him, though. He and Alisa just got their throwaway villain-bosses and that's it. What a terrible waste of their characters, especially Jusis. He should have been more butthurt and proactive I think.

- Fie with her relaxed, non-dramatic attitude and pleasant english VO is always nice to have in party, although the jaeger and family and shit was never resolved so no shits given due to no work in the plot being done.

- Millium surprised me by being one of the characters that seemed to always show some, if even a little, growth. The hyperactive loli seemed to be less retarded this game and more emotional and intelligent instead. Who knows, maybe she'll turn into something reasonably interesting in the end?

- Elliot, Machias and Laura were like, whatever. They didn't even get anything to call their own in the plot this time. Gaius with his MEH NOBLE NORD CULTURE was a bore from the 1st game, and nothing changed, he's still same boring.

- The story of a young obnoxious self righeous terrorist was fitting. I extremely enjoyed him being outsmarted by a better and more mature character. It was such a wonderful treat to see mature politics trump over not one, not two, but even multiple anime cliches at once.

Oooh,
Osborne sama
:oops: bet he would make Sara drool too.

Last edited:

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Here's some Cold Steel 3 artwork relating to the backgrounds of established characters (Sara,Rean and Olivier/Olivert), they're not really spoilers but I'll put them in the spoiler tag all the same.

Young Jager Sara :love:

Screenshot_20180323-175509_File_Manager.jpg

Rean's biological mom + young Rean

Screenshot_20180323-102343.png

Olivert/Olivier's mom and young Olivier and Mueller

Screen_Shot_2018-03-23_at_10.45.02_AM.png

Deleted member 7219

FUCK. That art of young Sara is going to drive me to either replace my broken PS4 or upgrade my laptop (PC is coming right?). God damn it.

We don't know if Cold Steel 3 is coming to the west.

I hope for a PC release of course - my PC may also need an upgrade - and it will be a vastly better experience if XSEED provide the localisation and Durante oversees the PC port.

However, if they decide to do a PS4 release first there's no way I won't do a double purchase for this. I'll gladly splash money on the PS4 release even though I'd prefer to play on PC. I want to play this game as soon as possible.

Naesaki

Novice
Sara's bonding achievements are the only bonding achievements that truly matter.

On another note...

The wait is killing me, I just want to at least know if XSEED is at least going to be localising it. I think its safe to say its going to be localised eventually given what Kondo wants to do with the series in the west but Adios helps us if NISA get it, 90% chance they'd introduce bugs and glitches unique to the western release (Since they do have a history of doing this), add in their bizarre localisations like changing character names so they sound funny (Esty Dee from the Atelier series springs to mind, her surname was originally Erhard) or just changing pre-established lore around because why the hell not or for 'comedy' and never getting a PC port on time ever (I'm still laughing at how much they've borked the PC release for YS VIII).

Deleted member 7219

I agree. It is so frustrating not knowing anything.

If XSEED just came out and said, "Yes, we'll do it, we're just really busy with other stuff right now", that would be ok. I'm happy to wait.

At least there's a fan translation of Trails from Zero coming, so we're not waiting on XSEED for Crossbell any more.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Alright gents, here's a JRPG that's out on Steam (and on PS4/Vita) that doesn't have technical issues and is quite enjoyable to play while we wait for more Sara.

Been playing this a ton lately, and that OST is :love:

Last edited:

Naesaki

Novice
CSH was pretty good, got it for like £3 during a PSN sale. I need to finish it at some point though, I'm like 3/4 of the way through but then I got distracted by Trails games

Malpercio

Arcane
Having a piece of forbidden cake I assume Lloyd is one of more reasonable male protagonists of Trails series and I would rather be in his game instead this one judging by just one intermission (and hot ninja with adorable sweet voice).

Lloyd is a good compromise between Rean and Estelle. He's a bit of a stu, but at least it makes *sense* in the story since he's not a student, but he actually went to school and studied his ass off.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Much like Cosmic Star Heroine, I've been playing through some other indie JRPGs and here some enjoyable ones.

Echoes of Aetheria's combat has that isometric grid setup with light TRPG elements like the three "sky" games.

Naesaki

Novice
Skyborn was quite short but I really enjoyed every minute of it <3 Definitely going to have to check out Echoes of Aetheria next time it goes on sale :D

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
So what makes Trails in the Sky so great anyway? Keep trying but I can't get into this game. I am in the beginning town doing the quest with the photographer, when do I get to the "good part?"

Issues I have so far:

-Lots of dialogue, it's not bad but its the usual JRPG "humor" and banter. Oh look, the girl is overbearing and ditzy, ha. Can't wait for the classic "She is a poor cook lololololol"

-Combat is pretty tedious. Levels don't do much and I'm still getting killed by ladybugs. Monsters appear right in front of you and can surprise you by touching a trailing character, but then you can run with 100% success anyway. I find myself running from tons of battles which I consider a bad sign in a JRPG.

-Sidequests with permanent/missable content. I hate Fear of Missing Out and feeling like I need to follow a guide through the whole game.

So is the story and combat really THAT good in the end? Kinda daunting for a six-game series if I can barely get into the first one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom