Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Standard should be permanent Legacy anyways(minus the stupid Stones. too much miroc managing and trading. could maybe let 3 random StoneMods spawn each zone/map...perma MayemLegacy)

its smtg GGG doesnt get. people hunger for balance ect but they just want to have fun and kill sht in the first place.
instead of nerfing everything economy wise (Biscos, map drops, Zana Breach Mod, Sextants, Div cards, The Vault map/boss/boss crates ect) they should not worry about that too much. people want to find good loot in a reasonable amount of time, than use currency to make monsters explode. easy as that.

but hey, at least we got insano gated triple Watchers Eyes

Zdzisiu

Arcane

Whoa whoa whoa whoa, WHOA.

You get the fuck out of this thread right now, and never come back. You hear me?
The problem is that "fun" is a different thing for different people.

Some would say that the older style of PoE, around 1.0 was more "fun" for them.

A lot of people say that the current style if more "fun" for them.

Hell, if you asked people what "fun" is, I bet most of them couldn't give a coherent answer.

That's why GGG is experimenting with things. And with experiments come the unavoidable failure like this league. But it is not the first one (Rampage anyone?) nor is it the last one I am sure.

The only important thing now is to learn what was wrong about this league, what people liked and what they didn't like. What was popular, and what almost nobody did. And why they didn't do it. Was it because it was too rare? Was it because it was too difficult? Was it because the reward wasnt worth the trouble? Was it because it was to complex for an average player?

Thousand questions worth investigating.

I dropped the league after not even getting my one char to 90. But I will be back in June to see whats next.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Don't take my shitposting too seriously. It's all in good fun.

For what it's worth, I fully understand where you're coming from. Using EVE as an example again, many people dismiss the game as a spreadsheet simulator because they just don't know any better, and can't see past the targeting overlay or the economic interface to where the hands-shaking, adrenaline-inducing excitement actually lives. It's the curse of all complex and difficult games.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I think your discussion kind of gets to the core of the schism dividing people on PoE. To get good at the game requires mastery of such a vast corpus of knowledge that even though I watch a ton of streams and have been playing the game since BETA (and very actively since Essence), I'm pretty much a casualfag (though it helps that Jaedar started playing, because he is even worse :P ). And before you even "get good", there's this split between "playing the game" and "playing the game right" that is night and day. I never really enjoyed PoE until I "got it", it being understanding the fundamental aspects of what a build needed to make mobs explode in a satisfying pace and understanding the progression of the game to a point where I could do things rapidly enough that it didn't get boring.

Yet when you "get into the groove" of PoE it's just this massively enjoyable mind-switched-off power-fantasy of seeing billions of mobs explode pouring out a legion of slot-machines' worth of rewards that are so varied every lootgasm feels like you've earned something completely different than last time you got something good. I suspect people criticizing the game or discarding it as "not for them" are those who don't really get to that stage because they think - as I did until I actually learned to play the game on a basic level during Essence league - that exploring the acts and such is what the game is about. When in actuality it's more of the trial you have to beat to get to the really good stuff, to really feel like you've unlocked what makes PoE so addicting for a lot of people. After all, the point where you really start to feel like you've gotten to the great part of PoE is when you start farming Blood Acqueduct because at this point your build is in full effect (though not optimized in the slightest, of course). And yeah, this is a "problem", but no, I don't see a way to change it and keep the core fulfillment-loop of the game, especially not if you're a Hardcore player.

I think Beastiary was a good design bet in this regard, because it expands the two core tenets of things to fight and things to loot with new variations. What PoE gets right that most action RPGs don't is that there isn't just a lot of things to loot - there are a lot of very different types of things to loot, and Bestiary introduces even more variation to this cocktail. But the actual execution of Bestiary leaves something to be desired like T. Reich points out.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Here's how to simulate endgame PoE if you're not interested in actually playing the game:

• buy several packs of glowsticks
  • buy a bottle of acrylic paint for each color of the spectrum
  • buy several packets of firecrackers
  • buy a rack of UV lights
  • buy an industrial-sized blender

Set the UV lights to strobe, pour all of the paint and toss all of the glowsticks into the blender, use a ten-foot stick to turn the (open-topped) blender up to maximum, and then immediately begin lighting and throwing firecrackers around the room.

You may also flush $100 down the toilet to simulate dying right when an Exalted Orb drops, if desired.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
9eesw7iigsm01.png

meanwhile in STD crafting wonderland

Gerrard

Arcane
I love trying to aim at a mob that has "NEW" on it in the middle of 30 other mobs before it dies. Bonus points if there's a rare nearby.

T. Reich

Arcane
That's why I spent extra time during leveling in story mode and captured every single "new" mob that came my way.
Made hunting for "new" mobs in maps essentially an exercise in waiting for correct red beasts to spawn.

Little did I know, it was a futile quest - completing the bestiary may as well be the hardest challenge in this entire league.

My advice: only capture the red beasts (all of them) and maybe try to capture the yellow beasts now and then. Everything else can be disregarded. ESPECIALLY the unique capturable mobs like vaal side area bosses or map mini-bosses, etc - they do not unlock any new recipes, and their use in existing recipes is highly questionable and often bug-riddled.

Balor

Arcane
My advice: only capture the red beasts (all of them) and maybe try to capture the yellow beasts now and then. Everything else can be disregarded. ESPECIALLY the unique capturable mobs like vaal side area bosses or map mini-bosses, etc - they do not unlock any new recipes, and their use in existing recipes is highly questionable and often bug-riddled.

Hopefully, this content will come later.

Gerrard

Arcane
I skip most of the reds because I can't be assed standing there for 30 seconds because some retard with 1000 hours of experience thought giving most of them double regen was a good idea.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Yeah, totally sucks that there's nothing you can do against heavy life-regen. They just have a boat-load of hp, their regen is usually pretty negligible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom