Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Bloodborne. Discuss or die!

Silva

Arcane
D_X , after facing a bl 6~ samurai kiddo that killed my bl100 with 1 or 2 hits of his chik, and I asked him how da fuck he did that and he said "nah I was lazy and invested all pts in bloodtinge" lemme tell you this: if you have a chik and enough tinge, you don't need no skill or viscerals my friend.

By the way, who wins:

- 2B with Virtuous Contract
VS
- Moon scented hunter with Chikage? :)

Edit: oh, and the default game runes are fine at lower levels I think (65~85).

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Arcane
I really hate all the farming in this game. I know I'm not good, so don't even start. Having to run through previous areas for blood vials isn't fun. None of the Souls games were this grindy.

I'm fighting the first chalice dungeon boss and still haven't gotten to upgrade my starter weapons. My attacks barely do any damage until the bleed effect. I keep wondering if I missed a worktool. What is going on?

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Ezekiel , this game doesn't need grinding at all. Just remember to always buy blood vials in the dream with what remains after upgrading your stuff and you will be fine.

But reaching the first chalice boss without upgrading weapons is strange. Why is that? Don't you know you can press X at the workshop table to improve your weapons? I dont remember needing to find any special tool for that. The only workshop tools needed are the ones for blood gems and memorizing glyphs.

What kind of character did you do and what weapons are you using, btw?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Ezekiel , this game doesn't need grinding at all. Just remember to always buy blood vials in the dream with what remains after upgrading your stuff and you will be fine.

But reaching the first chalice boss without upgrading weapons is strange. Why is that? Don't you know you can press X at the workshop table to improve your weapons? I dont remember needing to find any special tool for that. The only workshop tools needed are the ones for blood gems and memorizing glyphs.

What kind of character did you do and what weapons are you using, btw?
Damn it... Well, I just went through the first area several times so that I would have 20 vials to fight the chalice dungeon boss with, almost killed him and then died with no vials remaining. Now I have to go through that area several times again because I have no currency. So grindy. I'm not even gonna bother upgrading until I beat that boss, because now I'm just pissed at myself for not seeing the workshop. I checked the storage to the right of it a few times and the table at the back, but not THAT table.

Ezekiel

Arcane
His delayed attacks are annoying... The camera isn't helping either. Why did they never improve it?

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
yoda-noob-you-are-git-gud-you-must.jpg.bd19b2573eda9e1c2da188cacf9b9125.jpg

Silva

Arcane
His delayed attacks are annoying... The camera isn't helping either. Why did they never improve it?
What boss is this? A doggy or an undead giant? I dont remember which one comes first.

Anyway, some other useful tips:
- Upgrade your main weapon (this is obvious)
- Just pump VIT at first until it's 2~. Then raise stamina until you feel comfortable attacking and dodging. Don't bother with stats like STR or DEX at first because they only get useful later. Trust me.
- When fighting an enemy, dodge INTO his attacks or to the sides. NEVER dodge back. Game is programmed to troll Souls vets.
- A good starting weapon is the Saw Spear. It's found on the canal in central Yharnam.
- If you're stuck, use the beckoning bell! You must have Insight to use it and choose "Play Online" in the start menu. The game is crowded these days so it's easy to find helpers.

If you use these tips, any enemy or boss Is manageable.

Ezekiel

Arcane
What boss is this? A doggy or an undead giant? I dont remember which one comes first.

Anyway, some other useful tips:
- Upgrade your main weapon (this is obvious)
- Just pump VIT at first until it's 2~. Then raise stamina until you feel comfortable attacking and dodging. Don't bother with stats like STR or DEX at first because they only get useful later. Trust me.
- When fighting an enemy, dodge INTO his attacks or to the sides. NEVER dodge back. Game is programmed to troll Souls vets.
- A good starting weapon is the Saw Spear. It's found on the canal in central Yharnam.
It was Undead Giant. He's dead now. Not sure what I'm supposed to do now, other than continue through this (optional?) dungeon. Taking a break.

- If you're stuck, use the beckoning bell! You must have Insight to use it and choose "Play Online" in the start menu. The game is crowded these days so it's easy to find helpers.

Yeah, I'm not buying a subscription. I bought this PS4 ten days ago with the intention of only playing single player. Multiplayer should be free.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah I would save chalices for later. Have you reached the Great Cathedral yet? That's a main objective at some point. Don't forget there is a left path just before it that leads to an interesting area.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The Blood Vial system is pretty dumb compared to Estus but it's not a problem once you git gud. Later in the game, you can easily buy tons of Blood Vials with all the blood echoes you get, even if you just use your leftovers after leveling.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Wow, the counter attack feels so cheesy cheap. I did it for the first time ten minutes ago and am doing it to every other enemy now. It's SO EASY.

Silva

Arcane
Nah it's not easy. Enemies have different tempo and tells. And while doing it under control may sound easy, I doubt anyone would find it so when under pressure.

Edit: try doing it easily against the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst. :lol:

Last edited:

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yeah, it's definitely not that easy, particularly during boss fights. It being a very important mechanic does indeed encourage you to use it more often than in Dark Souls, but in my experience, it also makes you prone to stupid mistakes.

I mean, if you manage to do it well and constantly even in boss fights, then pride yourself in being fucking good, not complain about it being easy.

Also, unless you research it online first, I doubt you're able to identify the correct windows of opportunity, and if you're not 90% sure that a parry hits on a boss when he has very low health left, it's definitely not worth the risk imho.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
I think I’m just shit at parrying. I’ve heard people say that Maria and OoK are easy bosses to parry to death and I’ve never had much success trying to do them that way, seems safer just to dodge and wait for an opening to me.

On blood vials I must admit the first time I did OoK I got so sick of farming them that I farmed a load of vials, uploaded my save to a USB stick, then just overwrote my save from the backup every time I ran out of vials. Only way I could contain the butthurt :oops:.

:mixedemotions:

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
I managed to convince a work colleague to try BB. He hated it at first. Today he told me he's hooked and strongly considered taking days off to play. GG me. :incline:

I think I’m just shit at parrying. I’ve heard people say that Maria and OoK are easy bosses to parry to death and I’ve never had much success trying to do them that way, seems safer just to dodge and wait for an opening to me.
I'd say that they are, but only in the first phase. I can parry both no problem in the first, but once the second phase starts it's better to get the hell out of Dodge. And Maria I've never managed to parry in her third phase even though it's possible to do so.

In other news, I decided that I don't have the patience to hunt all the shit I need to make an Arcane build so I'm going to pump it on my NG+3 character who already has all the good shit. Should be fun.
:terminate:

Yeah that should be fun - I think I pumped arcane up decently on my Moonlight greatsword character which is somewhere in NG+, I should continue with that so I can blown things up with a call beyond. Never done a bloodtinge build either...hnngh better go play Bloodborne.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
I died to the witch of hemwick.

:negative:

Say 15 Hail Miyazakis and your sins will be forgiven.

I almost died to prowling magus the other day, not sure that’s ever been done before. I don’t think there’s any BB boss which is quite that embarrassingly shit.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
I almost died to prowling magus the other day, not sure that’s ever been done before.
I almost died there too when I played DaS2. :lol:

Dunno about the Celestial Emissary. Never died there, but I guess he could fry your ass with that projectile attack of his. Also, I never fought him on NG+ but I'm thinking how much trouble Micolash gave me on NG+.:negative:

Don’t enjoy running a marathon every time he one shots you with a call beyond? GRANT US OYYYYS.

:mixedemotions:

Vorark

Erudite
I managed to convince a work colleague to try BB. He hated it at first. Today he told me he's hooked and strongly considered taking days off to play. GG me. :incline:

This game is oddly addictive captivating. Didn't like much of it after Rom but ho boy, everything prior was gud.

I wanna try a skill based character now, how is the threaded cane? I didn't use it much since I went STR but it looked like it was fun. Or maybe the saw spear.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron

This game is oddly addictive captivating. Didn't like much of it after Rom but ho boy, everything prior was gud.

I wanna try a skill based character now, how is the threaded cane? I didn't use it much since I went STR but it looked like it was fun. Or maybe the saw spear.

Cane is quite fun and plenty viable, just takes a while to kill some stuff early game. Cane mode is decent for single target damage where you can get in close, whip is surprisingly long ranged and really good for dealing with big groups. And it’s obviously the most :obviously: weapon.

Ninefingers

Educated
Patron
Huh, knew about the serrated bonus in whip form but never knew about the righteous thing, but as you say, not overly useful :).

Vorark - do you have the DLC? That’s arguably some of the best content.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom