Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Codex of Roguelikes

Ziem

Arbiter
Infra Arcana

Liosliath

Literate
Oh, yes, I did forgot DCSS has Ghoul class. As for ToME - never knew it, 'cause never loved it.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Is it just me or have roguelikes in general really converged on the whole fixed dungeon dive concept? It feels like theres a million of them now, where it's all about resource management and efficiently hoovering everything you see before proceding to the next floor. I think I prefer the more open styles more, like Qud or Elona or the old offshoots of angband, where it's more like you're just kind of adventure around and gather loot and try not to die. But I can't think of any recent games that really let you do that in the genre- if anything it's mostly strategy games that still let you do this with some hero units maybe. ADOM and ToME are kind of in between I suppose, since they leaves options as to where to go first, but they also both kind of put clocks on you that prevent you from going at your own pace and really force you into fighting the same old bosses at certain points.

getter77

Augur
Brogue/(Spelunky) made quite a splash is what happened(The Ground Gives Way is also super neat)---also much more attainable, to an extent, than a sprawling mega-project like those of old.

You've got Axu though at the least, Numenfall, Fame, The Temple of Torment, Shadows of the Wyrm, and perhaps a smattering of others who escape me off the top or it has been awhile on. Dungeonlike might well be another that is going places as it strides out of early access levels of doings, same for Rogue Empire.

Damned Registrations

Hadn't heard of like, any of those except Shadow of the Wyrm (which I need to check out again.

There's also an odd tendency for the more open games to have more meaningless loot and extremely slow power curves. Like, in a game like Nethack or ADOM or whatever, you can go from zero to hero with a single item just laying on the floor for no reason early in the game. But if you're playing Elona or ToME (well, the new one, the old one was deliciously random) or CataDDA, you can kill something incredibly badass and get... nothing. A trivial amount of xp you could have gotten by farming some rats. And even if you find a rare item, it's basically irrelevant compared to stuff like artifacts in Nethack or ADOM. An artifact in ToME is like, 3% more damage and 5% more hp and a recastable spell you'll never use because it doesn't scale in your build and is a waste of a turn.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Hadn't heard of like, any of those except Shadow of the Wyrm (which I need to check out again.

There's also an odd tendency for the more open games to have more meaningless loot and extremely slow power curves. Like, in a game like Nethack or ADOM or whatever, you can go from zero to hero with a single item just laying on the floor for no reason early in the game. But if you're playing Elona or ToME (well, the new one, the old one was deliciously random) or CataDDA, you can kill something incredibly badass and get... nothing. A trivial amount of xp you could have gotten by farming some rats. And even if you find a rare item, it's basically irrelevant compared to stuff like artifacts in Nethack or ADOM. An artifact in ToME is like, 3% more damage and 5% more hp and a recastable spell you'll never use because it doesn't scale in your build and is a waste of a turn.
Not sure about that. Find one of the high end melee weapons or (or even better AND) a rare combat school manual working with that weapon early in CataDDA and you become op in no time just by using it. Not sure about power armor nowadays - you need other stuff to use efficently anyway. There are also artifacts in Cata and although most are useless or situational at best there are some afaik that could be almost game-breaking. Really CataDDA is not the best illustration of what you try to say here in my opinion. Plenty of power-curve breaking items in Cata imho.

Edit: Not to mention a vehicle with armor in working order early on is OP as well. In general vehicles break half of the game (the half you can drive your vehicle to).

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
To be fair in Elona or ToME the progression is more natural RPG instead of rogue-likeish. Every zone has its own max-level on what item could spawn. I honestly like these kind of roguelike better than the random ass, just go to random dungeon and see how deep you can get kind of classic roguleike.

In cataclysm DDA loot is based on location. You won't find good shit most of the time just laying around in town (with some exception, which usually not readily accessible, like gunstores which is basically equipped with alarm and will fuck you up if you force entry or the infamous spider basement where you will be killed by dog sized black widow) or from loot from zombie. The good shit are locked up in the most dangerous place such as military bunker or science lab. Killing enemies for loot is not the point of CDDA. The zombies are there as a "wall" from the content of the game (namely finding stupid shit and crafting stupid shit). Only after you become a human-beast-robot hybrid killing machines that you start killing shits.

Damned Registrations

But by that point there's no reason to kill anything. The most valuable things in the game are basically books and vehicles, and since nothing is worth fighting (especially in melee) you may as well just avoid all dangerous areas in the game until you've got a full suit of survivor gear and mobile smithy/lab and then you've got nothing left to do anyways. Science lab isn't even dangerous by the time you can use the books and shit inside, it's just (slightly) difficult to get into. Malls are fucking dangerous and have nothing worth getting. Hospitals are probably the closest thing to a dangerous place hiding some decent loot but even that's pretty easy to ignore unless you're dying to install 50 bionics or something. Mil surplus stores have amazing shit (even power armor) and aren't dangerous at all. Meanwhile military bunkers contain far less shit, often just some fucking rations and shitty gear. Slime pits and fungal colonies and bee hives and all sorts of crazy shit have nothing decent at all. They should have put rare mutagen ingredients in places like that. Malls should have bionics and rare books. High end drugs and armor should be more useful.

I love the details and openness of CataDDA but it's got no endgame to speak of and the optimal strategy is way too fucking boring.

hackncrazy

Savant
Is it just me or have roguelikes in general really converged on the whole fixed dungeon dive concept? It feels like theres a million of them now, where it's all about resource management and efficiently hoovering everything you see before proceding to the next floor. I think I prefer the more open styles more, like Qud or Elona or the old offshoots of angband, where it's more like you're just kind of adventure around and gather loot and try not to die. But I can't think of any recent games that really let you do that in the genre- if anything it's mostly strategy games that still let you do this with some hero units maybe. ADOM and ToME are kind of in between I suppose, since they leaves options as to where to go first, but they also both kind of put clocks on you that prevent you from going at your own pace and really force you into fighting the same old bosses at certain points.

I agree that most RLs right now (and for quite some time) are about dungeon diving and resource management, but honestly I think that this is the best way to play a RL.

Even though I love TOME, I hate when I lose a character on mid/end-game and have to pass exactly through the same cities and the same dungeons over again. I'd love to play a TOME mod with a DCSS kind of progression, being a single dungeon with shops inside it and different branches to visit.

Adom is another example of game that I just can't get on with. Even more because it seems 10 times harder than TOME and with a lot of esoteric things (like 300 skills and traits to pick from the start).

you talked about Cataclysm right after and this one is a game that I want to play, but my problem with it is the "no ending" situation. I just can't play any game that is so open that doesn't have an end and usually leaves to the player to set the end goal. I prefer a game where I'm given an objective and I have to achieve it.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Elona is best among them, also they can't be compared honestly. But Elona is a monster...

Also, have you heard about TomeNet?
It's ToME but sort of MMO, and it's real-time...

This guy has streams in English.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/2018/03/adom-313-available-as-public-steam.html

ADOM 3.1.3 available as a public Steam release

Hi everyone!

We are happy to announce ADOM 3.1.3 as a public (not beta!) release on Steam. ADOM 3.1.3 contains another big package of bug fixes and minor improvements and concludes the "ADOM 3.1.x talents & traps" release (unless we somehow managed to introduce new serious bugs). The changelog as usual contains all the details. If you did not try any of the betas you should browse all the changes starting with version 3.1.0 - quite a lot has happened!

We already are working on ADOM 3.2.0 which will contain the personalized PC sprites as its major feature (e.g. correct hair and eye colors as well as much closer matching equipment). We expect a mid-April release for that.

So for now enjoy the latest version on Steam - it should update automatically (but remember to deactivate your beta mode if you participated in that).

Happy Easter and Happy Hacking!
Thomas Biskup & Team ADOM

P.S.: Work on Ultimate #ADOM also is progressing. We just spent roughly 27 hours on two workshop days with the European part of Team Ultimate ADOM to finalize our PoC phase and make many decisions (as well as raise new questions regarding optimizations to game play). I'm by now hopefully settled enough with out daughter so that I can resume regular blogging :) Despite the social silence on this front we are progressing well with the plans for our first games under the "Ultimate ADOM" brand - more to come soon!

http://www.adom.de/home/changelog.html
ADOM 3.1.3 (Release 92) (28 March 2018, Steam)

- new music for the goblin camp

- Feature 6096 - Don't make drunken dwarf (and Skriek?) hostile when Hotzenplotz is attacked
- Feature 6140 - ignored by monsters flag
- Bug 3252 - All corruption effects might not fit on 25 row screen.
- Bug 4163 - Special birth message is never displayed in NotEye
- Bug 4608 - No "Correct" Way to Wish for Scrolls of Corruption Removal
- Bug 5594 - Crash - Invalid blood level -1
- Bug 5704 - Issue with "Drop Some" Menu
- Bug 5839 - Long Highscore Descriptions Not Displayed Properly
- Bug 5849 - Lawful High Altar shows Chaotic Altar tile
- Bug 5923 - Hours remaining for weekly challenge are incorrect
- Bug 5974 - letters wrongly offset
- Bug 5975 - "Beloved by Fate" Achievement not working
- Bug 6066 - Wrong perception message not shown on ascent
- Bug 6087 - Karmic lizard corpse on ground interrupts walk mode every turn
- Bug 6088 - Weather changes are shown inside the Merchants' guild
- Bug 6090 - Tile for corrupted glade not displayed
- Bug 6105 - Stunned character able to cast spell using 'repeat last action'
- Bug 6109 - Display not refreshed after reading scrolls of defense/protection
- Bug 6113 - Great gray wyrm typo
- Bug 6116 - Multi-turn actions can be interrupted with 0 turns remaining
- Bug 6117 - Heavenly energies don't seem to do anything?
- Bug 6118 - Staff of pain doesn't do anything?
- Bug 6120 - The astral planes corruption doesn't add "You are teleporting" to potion of insight output
- Bug 6121 - Autosave message isn't shown while saving
- Bug 6124 - Affinity with Thrown Daggers not in alphabetical order in manual
- Bug 6126 - Antediluvian troll corpses don't respect normal regeneration limit
- Bug 6129 - Display not refreshed when perception changes due to light sensitivity
- Bug 6137 - Comfortable chairs effect doesn't trigger on descent
- Bug 6138 - Chatting with tiny girl loses "brought back joy" achievement line
- Bug 6145 - No monsters are initially spawned on I1 in challenge games
- Bug 6147 - Can't move
- Bug 6148 - Horseshoe statue typo
- Bug 6149 - Melting down truesilver items crashes the game
- Bug 6151 - Professions manual section capitalization

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have just started to play ADOM two days ago, and I'm liking it a lot. I'm just learning the basics but the game seems very cool and fun.

Any advice, recommended guide or good youtube channel about it?

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I have just started to play ADOM two days ago, and I'm liking it a lot. I'm just learning the basics but the game seems very cool and fun.
Any advice, recommended guide or good youtube channel about it?

Try gnome elementalist. In the beggining before you have limited mana supply use some melee weapon with shield. First lvl up concentration, literacy. Find Dwarftown, do quests for them. You will die alot.

guidebook

http://adomgb.sweb.cz/adomgb-toc.html

playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/user/GordonOverkillManiac/playlists

moraes

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
E99D0B968E77282B39385CC6E555C3D3D133F021

How does a weep sit?

Leitz

Learned
I just found out about a Nethack fork with an explore button called "Nethack 4". Then I realized that you have to be some kind of hacker to install this. Can anybody explain to me how to compile this?

Edit: don't bother; doesn't work on windows.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
They better do guide how to run it on modern machines with big resolution screens, I tried to play it week ago, and can't play through embrasure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom