Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many codexers in heat for MCA?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
What the gentleman above me said.

Also, MCA mostly worked on the DLC for F:NV. Which is why he keeps mentioning them in all the recent interviews.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MetalCraze said:
Why even me, the guy who seriously hates Obsidian now (incl. for raping Fallout) knows that Avellone had nothing to do with NV?

But you fucking "RPG-fan" don't?

The attrocity that is NV is mostly the fault of Sawyer who has proven that he is a piece of shit of a game designer time and again since Black Isle.

Avellone was too busy butchering Mitsoda's writing in Alpha Protocol so it would appeal to imbeciles who find MGS to be a deep game. Guess that explains his popularity on the Codex.
Avellone was moved fulltime to New Vegas in the fall of 09 after he wrapped up his work on AP. He wrote Cass (the reason why she has so many location-specific dialogues is because he didn't have very many other design duties compared to other companion writers), General Oliver, Legate Lanius, and Ulysses (who had to be cut). Here's a source, now I never want to see you claim he had no involvement again.

Also you should give John Gonzalez, the creative lead, his share of the blame too. :P

mangsy

Educated
Because he's a sexy, articulate man that tells the Codex what it wants to hear (for the most part). His name is associated with quality games, and while he might not be perfect...

:mca:

MetalCraze

Arcane
His name is associated with quality games

:lol:

Then again I remember some retard on the Codex believed that Avellone created Planescape.

The fact that the setting was made by a totally unrelated guy and that that guy later took the major part in PS:T's development completely escaped him (and many other codexers too).

In fact if you remember PS:T hype made by Avellone, Avellone's writing in FO2, Avellone's writing in AP and Avellone's writing in FO3NV DLCs... The dude is just as retarded as our beloved Emil.

He just bullshits better.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
circ said:
Christ. You know what I think of when I hear well written game? Stuff like Alpha Centauri or Homeworld, that had pretty sparse writing that in AC's case consisted of quotes mostly. But it was all delivered extremely well and the design was excellent so it all came together in a good game. By comparison AP is a pretty awful game in every detail. And fuck, people were saying shit like DS3 had good writing, especially dialogue. Are you fucking kidding me? Obviously people don't even know shit about game writing to begin with.

:salute:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Kalin said:
circ said:
Christ. You know what I think of when I hear well written game? Stuff like Alpha Centauri or Homeworld, that had pretty sparse writing that in AC's case consisted of quotes mostly. But it was all delivered extremely well and the design was excellent so it all came together in a good game. By comparison AP is a pretty awful game in every detail. And fuck, people were saying shit like DS3 had good writing, especially dialogue. Are you fucking kidding me? Obviously people don't even know shit about game writing to begin with.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
mangsy said:
Because he's a sexy, articulate man that tells the Codex what it wants to hear (for the most part). His name is associated with quality games, and while he might not be perfect...

:mca:
Or, more accurately, :mca:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Going to print this out too

obsidianl.jpg

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Kalin said:
circ said:

AAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAA AAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA MOAR GOOD SIR MOOOOOAAAR

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Christ. You know what I think of when I hear well written game? I think of manchildren who know what manga means and assburger furries.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
MetalCraze said:
The fact that the setting was made by a totally unrelated guy and that that guy later took the major part in PS:T's development completely escaped him (and many other codexers too).

In fact if you remember PS:T hype made by Avellone, Avellone's writing in FO2, Avellone's writing in AP and Avellone's writing in FO3NV DLCs... The dude is just as retarded as our beloved Emil.
Here's another belief of yours I want to dispel.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=55
Colin McComb said:
I hate to say it again, but Chris did the major work on the game. I would estimate that although he had seven designers on his team, he did about 50% of the work on the project. Keep in mind that he did all this while he was working on Fallout 2 as well. The man is truly prolific.

For the major character dialogues, I based my work on the original dialogues that Chris had created – some of them were just snippets, but they all held the germs of fascinating ideas - because I felt that the game would be better served to move forward with his vision as the signpost. If I misremember anything I’m about to list, I plead the passage of years and the indulgence of my coworkers.

The areas I did included Smoldering Corpse bar and its attendant quests and dialogues, Many-As-One and the Warrens of Thought, the Great Foundry, some of the Lower Ward (John Deiley did most of the other parts), Lothar and the Bones of the Night (though I don’t remember if I did Mantuok), Many-As-One, Curst, Under Curst (and certain dialogue nodes with Vhailor), Carceri. Trias the Betrayer, and Fhjull Forked-Tongue. I helped smooth out certain kinks in the flow of the game, and suggested some of the chaos that might ensue when Curst shifted into Carceri and helped design the mechanic that would allow the player to return the city to the Outlands. I think I did some other stuff too.
Chris was almost entirely responsible for the dialogues between the Nameless One and the party NPCs. We could add a few nodes of dialogue here and there, but Chris did almost everything with those characters.
The Planescape designer worked on some of the worst, dungeon-crawly hack and slash areas of the game. He's also responsible for Broken Hills and San Francisco in Fallout 2. I don't think anyone at Black Isle properly told him what kind of RPGs they were trying to make.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger

292543-avellone_large.jpg

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Colin McComb said:
I hate to say it again, but Chris did the major work on the game. I would estimate that although he had seven designers on his team, he did about 50% of the work on the project. Keep in mind that he did all this while he was working on Fallout 2 as well. The man is truly prolific.
Pareto principle

Trashos

Arcane
Even if he does nothing else, he has done enough to be the best game writer, possibly forever. Of course, I am hoping for more, but he does not owe me anything. Dead Money was the last one I found awesome, btw, so that's 2010. It is not that long ago, not everything is going to be a masterpiece.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom