Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm all for the free speech and such, but why do we allow some retarded basement dweller post inane shit about our lord and saviour? I
Can't you see how contradictory your own sentence is?

Well it depends. Do you think free speech should be without any form of even endemic limits? Why did the codex ban people in the past then or move certain threads to prosperland/subforums? There is some sort of saturation value in every form of freedom. Once you surpass it, pushing the boundaries even further only amounts to foreign matter floating around distracting people.

As i said. Our exchange with Avellone is limited. He stated just a few pages before that he doesnt have enough time to answer all our interview questions. We do we waste all our time with shameless shitposting?
I disagree with codex banning people,unless they are actually malevolent in action. Like that the place is filled with all kind of lunatics. Eater you want Free Speech or you don't,there shouldn't be any kind of exceptions. I do believe in free speech only on the internet,in real life is just a propaganda bullshit.

Viata

Arcane
If you are limiting free speech, it's not free. So developers should have their own safe space just to post here? I'm pretty sure Avellone knows what kind of place rpgcodex is. He could simply ignore that person, as the option to ignore someone is enable to everyone here.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I wonder if Chris lost a bet or something to force himself to answer all the shitpost.

Anyway, Chris, could you give us the definite answer on the perpetual PST sales question? Did it turn a profit for Interplay or not?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway, Chris, could you give us the definite answer on the perpetual PST sales question? Did it turn a profit for Interplay or not?
Multiple people have mentioned multiple times that it did.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
And you were one of the guys trying to deny it IIRC.
Very well, Chris do you know how many copies it sold?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And you were one of the guys trying to deny it IIRC.

You're misremembering. I've never said that.

Very well, Chris do you know how many copies it sold?

Scott Warner said its lifetime sales were 400,000 and Fargo confirmed that sounded about right (though not all 400,000 were sold at full price of course).

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, went to check, 3.7 years rougly after the game came out. Still not lifetime measures.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah, went to check, 3.7 years rougly after the game came out. Still not lifetime measures.
When I said lifetime I meant until Interplay all-but-died. Of course no one's going to have any idea how much it sold in 2018, especially now that Herve's out of the game. By the by, Planescape: Torment's trademark expired in 2016.

Sizzle

Arcane
By the by, Planescape: Torment's trademark expired in 2016.

To think, all Fargo had to do was wait a couple more years and he could have made an actual PS:T sequel :D

It almost certainly still would have sucked, but probably not as much as T:ToN :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To think, all Fargo had to do was wait a couple more years and he could have made an actual PS:T sequel
Of course he wouldn't have been able to use any material that would have infringed on Hasbro's intellectual property, but sure, he could have made a game with "Planescape Torment" in its title. :M

The trademark for Planescape is still live so we also could have had some sort of Bethesda/Notch Scrolls situation.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Free speech is all well and good, but remember the Elf spreads his lies and obfuscation through such indulgences, it thrives on the "rights" of man and suborns them for its own advantage. Speech cannot be free while the other walks amongst us. Remember, to embrace a serpent is to invite poison into your breast.

Didn't know MCA worked on DS3, though I thought the revelation of Jayne Kassynders genocide in the Mournweald was quite MCA-ish, game finally grabbed me at that point. Though my hands were still cramping from using mouse and keyboard controls.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Free speech is all well and good, but remember the Elf spreads his lies and obfuscation through such indulgences, it thrives on the "rights" of man and suborns them for its own advantage. Speech cannot be free while the other walks amongst us. Remember, to embrace a serpent is to invite poison into your breast.

Didn't know MCA worked on DS3, though I thought the revelation of Jayne Kassynders genocide in the Mournweald was quite MCA-ish, game finally grabbed me at that point. Though my hands were still cramping from using mouse and keyboard controls.
Good thing Elves don't real, man. Because if they existed, they oughta be wiped out by now.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm all for the free speech and such, but why do we allow some retarded basement dweller post inane shit about our lord and saviour? I
Can't you see how contradictory your own sentence is?

Well it depends. Do you think free speech should be without any form of even endemic limits? Why did the codex ban people in the past then or move certain threads to prosperland/subforums? There is some sort of saturation value in every form of freedom. Once you surpass it, pushing the boundaries even further only amounts to foreign matter floating around distracting people.

As i said. Our exchange with Avellone is limited. He stated just a few pages before that he doesnt have enough time to answer all our interview questions. We do we waste all our time with shameless shitposting?
"Freedom of speech except…" is not freedom of speech.

Good thing Elves don't real, man. Because if they existed, they oughta be wiped out by now.
Gnomes first. I still need my closure.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Free speech has no place in this thread. No place in this entire forum.

It must be rooted out and thrown to the fire and burn until the very concept has been dispatched to Hell.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Free speech has no place in this thread. No place in this entire forum.

It must be rooted out and thrown to the fire and burn until the very concept has been dispatched to Hell.
Then lets begin with banning you for proposing offensive ideas.:smug:

Dont worry guise; Chris has taken a lot more shit from Obsidian higher management (as he not so subtly mentioned in his multi-part mega interview) which should have caused him much more distress than my name-calling.

He will be back for you neckbeards to worship in no time.

Egosphere

Arcane
Chris, if you were given free reign to write the complete storylines and all dialogues for, say, a group of 4 characters, how would you approach that? Would it be purely creative or would you follow some pre-defined rules / adhere to a template?

Developer
Chris, if you were given free reign to write the complete storylines and all dialogues for, say, a group of 4 characters, how would you approach that? Would it be purely creative or would you follow some pre-defined rules / adhere to a template?

It’s what was done for New Vegas: Dead Money (technically 4 characters + antagonist, and there was a lot of freedom on when, where, who, etc.). There were parameters in that instance, and there usually always are – not just with the franchise or core game but other aspects as well.

I’d be happy to list those out for that example if you’re curious (some are logistics, some are franchise, some are budget, some are aesthetic/theme, some are writing template and quest template, etc.).

But for free rein on a new franchise, there would still be some limitations. If you want, I can list those, too, and you can contrast and compare (it’s a good question, thanks).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Non-trolling.

Chris Avellone will we see you have a bigger role in any upcoming game? And how is your studio looking? No bullshitting, I really do miss your writing. I'd love to see you do more than just have your name pop up randomly in games like Into the Breach. (No disrespect to the game itself.)

I'd compare it to Yasumi Matsuno games and translations by Alexander O. Smith. I miss those, too.

Or the Legacy of Kain games.

Why must everything that I enjoy stop existing?
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom