Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Ash

Arcane
DYWOVDuXkAEqXFB.jpg:large

Poor devs rounded up like monkeys by the marketing department.
Bald guy in the back is boss, refusing to do the eye thing.

Edit: pete doing it too is commendable though I guess.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Poor devs rounded up like monkeys by the marketing department.

Guess that would apply if you're selling Waffle Burgers at Joe's Icecream. Don't think anyone working for Arkane feels like they were dealt a bad hand in life lol.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Yes yes, I just hate marketing even though it's a necessary evil. And rounding them up and sticking them in front of a camera in stupid poses (not great for what are stereotypical introverts by nature) probably wasn't really necessary, some concept art and drip-fed information about the DLC alongside "happy Prey day" would have probably been more effective and gotten more people hyped even, yet this eye gimmick is just what the marketing department thought was a good idea at the time I guess?

I don't know, I won't question their evil ways I suppose. They are after all responsible for the top-selling crappy "RPG" of all time: Skyrim. ...yet on the other hand Prey didn't sell too well.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
That picture was cringeworthy, both from how forced it looked to see a bunch of geek game developers lined up in such a contrived pose, and also from the thought of them using some sort of dye or something to give themselves fake pinkeye. I'm assuming it was just Photoshop, but anything else makes me shudder.

It's really lame to tease that something will be announced soon, even suggesting the date of the reveal, and then pull more lame half-baked alternate reality game crap. Actually kills the hype a bit, somehow.

Yes yes, I just hate marketing even though it's a necessary evil.

Obligatory Bill Hicks:

vdweller

Arcane
Developer
Finished it today. Destroy typhon ending, was a good guy and :hug: everyone.

Game atmosphere and ambiance were amazing. First time out of the station into space -> unforgettable moment with the music.

Played in Normal difficulty, at first it was tough-ish because I invested mainly in noncombat skills like Hacking, mid game got some nice Typhon powers, late game invested in Security or whatever.

Combat was OK. Enemies were OK. Looked alien enough. I don't care about them much really. If I want brutal, visceral combat I can always play DOOM.

I never expected combat to be the focus of the game (or mine), since I was more interested in finding out what had happened to the people of the station and listening to cool guitar riffs while foating around.

Level design was very good, and it was great to see how the exterior corresponded to the interior. Bonus points for that.

Story was good, not the ending so much but the way that the protagonist appeared as a set of instances each with different mind frames.

All in all a very good game, had some great moments.

I haven't played the older System Shock games.
I have played Bioshock1 and it sucked balls.
I have played Bioshock Infinite and it sucked even more balls.

Ash

Arcane
Alex D's role in the coffee wars resulted in QueeQuegs merging with Seattle's famed Skycity revolving restaurant for a new exciting partnership on the moon.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finally got around to actually playing this game. What is this? Is the game broken? Is it a problem with my GPU?

It's nice to see some actual fucking darkness in a game for a change.

65ec9b5d30.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Finally got around to actually playing this game. What is this? Is the game broken? Is it a problem with my GPU?

It's nice to see some actual fucking darkness in a game for a change.

65ec9b5d30.png
:whatho:
The fuck is this? I never encountered such darkness in the game,go and mess around with the gamma.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
You missed an entire mini-area, then. That's the Volunteer Quarters.

Not much of a spoiler really, since it comes pre-redacted.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yeah,i remembered now,you had to turn on the lights in some way. Also it was connected to some quest or something.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I actually felt a bit of tension in the Volunteer's Quarters with the darkness. It was a good place to encounter the Poltergeist enemy for the first time, too. It was the same with the early mimics. I wish more of the game had managed that kind of dread -- the Nightmare was a particular disappointment in failing to present a real danger.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I actually felt a bit of tension in the Volunteer's Quarters with the darkness. It was a good place to encounter the Poltergeist enemy for the first time, too.

Well, I deduced from the fact that the Volunteer Quarters were devoid of enemies right up to the far end of the area that they'd be shitting out a special enemy between me and the entrance, so they lost the element of surprise there.

That, and the presence of a button that turned on the lights but electrified the floors in a way that trapped the player in a cubbyhole with the power switch.

So by the time I rounded the corner and heard it making spoopy noises with creepy music playing, I knew I just had lure it into the showers, pop into the cubby, and press the button. For some reason though, it refused to follow me through the doorway for a good long while, until suddenly it did.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Are you playing it with mods, Blaine? Because you kind of should to get the best experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom