Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

axedice

Cipher
Doesn't matter. In terms of writing, it's average in both categories.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ho-disagrees-is-an-edgelord-or-burnout.99193/

'Nuff said really.

Prime Junta said:
And now there's Pillars.

I'm a storyfag. Or more like lorefag really. If a game gives me a world that's coherent, believable, and lived-in, I can forgive a lot. Pillars has that in abundance. It's far better in this respect than any IE game other than Torment. We have nations fighting wars for reasons which make sense, with power relations changing, alliances shifting, fortunes reversing, and reversing again. We have technological, scientific, and social progress. We have people with complex relations to their gods, whom the follow -- or hate, or resent, or wrestle with -- for human reasons. We have -- finally -- put to sleep the Scots dwarf, with subraces no longer forming only their own cultures. In fact we have a range of cultures that's far broader and more interesting than anything I remember seeing in any cRPG, and drawing from a much broader range of historical cultures than just about any other game I've played. Eora exists for its own reasons, not just as a sandbox for you to play in.

I would like to live in a world where we are able to praise the world building of Eora (especially compared to shit like Toril and Krynn) and still criticize the game for its poor writing in moment to moment details and npcs. So kudos to Prime Junta for pointing the good despite the bad.

Prime Junta said:
The writing and story were really good as well. We had a compelling, memorable, and really well voiced antagonist, equally compelling allies like Lady Webb, and a general flow that kept a lot of freedom without losing momentum.

That's the point I disagree the most, the game lost it's momentum and freedom of choice especially during the animancy trials, which was poorly designed and written. While there was more personality to the pillars NPCs compared to "most" BG ones, it was also poorly communicated. The cuts to scale both Durance and GM down from Torment-MotB-Kotor2 level companions to Baldur level companions was probably the coup de grais in Pillars' writing though. It was born deprived of oxygen and thus suffered from retardism growing up.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I like the setting very much and I've said this numerous times. It makes it all the more disappointing that the game makes bad use of it.

This is a problem separate from the not ironed out quality of the writing.

Ruzen

Savant
Just above
So now all 2015 joiners have to prove they are not Obsidian fanboy? What kind of fascist agenda is this?:lol:

Delaying only for a month is a bad sign for a game that sized. What can you fix in 4 more weeks? There was still 3 week time... It's clear that it is not about a specific game breaking bug. It's about the bug percentage isn't passable and not much you can change in 4 weeks to change that drastically. Expecting extreme level of bugs now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Lady Webb and compelling dont belong in the same sentence. She was just a giant infodump absolutely nothing memorable about her other than the fact that you couldnt kill her.

EDIT: in fact IMO Defiance Bay in its entirety is easily the least fun part of Pillars of Eternity. Its a huge timesink / waste of time sandwiched in-between the more fun Acts 1 and 3 (and WM).

Id rather clear Caed Nua floors than have to slog through the tedious quests and NPCs in Defiance Bay and I hate Caed Nua.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lady Webb and compelling dont belong in the same sentence. She was just a giant infodump absolutely nothing memorable about her other than the fact that you couldnt kill her.

EDIT: in fact IMO Defiance Bay in its entirety is easily the least fun part of Pillars of Eternity. Its a huge timesink / waste of time sandwiched in-between the more fun Acts 1 and 3 (and WM).

Id rather clear Caed Nua floors than have to slog through the tedious quests and NPCs in Defiance Bay and I hate Caed Nua.

I rather liked Lady Webb. But I agree with the rest.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Meh I don't agree with that aweigh, act 3 is just the least polished part of the game. At release, it was even aggravated by an abysmally low level of difficulty combined with a shitload of trash encounters.
But even in 3.0, this last bit of the game feels lacklustre. I think it's a matter of hierarchisation of the game's content.

Act 1 is somewhat short, with a high point in raedric's hold and some cool elements of characterisation (the temple's ruins with its infamous spirits and that treant fight outside of town) which kind of structure the act by dealing in different degrees of difficulty (none to careful to raedric-good-luck-at-your-level-3).
Act 2 doesn't have that, and is quite messy, but at least opens the game and makes a tonne of content available at any order in a typical bg fashion.
Act 3 though, there's barely anything here. I mean, there's the sky dragon which is a bit more exciting than the rest, I mean it's a damn dragon. Besides that, I think it actually has some of the worst places in the game. The temple of Cool® for instance. The one next to Teir Evron, I don't even remember what's happening there. Also, druids of the ovates. Important stuff right here, I'm glad to know about them. And the hunters, and the six tribes, and each of their symbols and gfhgfidghidfh

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
because he said something retarded about it 3 years ago.

Let me remind you that "retarded" opinion replaced Darth Roxor 's honest and brutal review on the steam curator link.

Such a review was hurting the shekel income from the hypetards at steam; hence re-do the honest opinion with white washed ministry of truth version which most woukd admit sounds retarded now.

So shekels were exchanged and cocks were sucked. Just your typical cheap game jurno whoring by Prime Junta and Infinitron

Sensuki you have my respect for exposing the jew and the cunt's agenda to keep Obsidian as their sugar daddy.

Being the sellout whore that Prime Cunta is; he should admit just that and not pollute us with his lame sellout strawmans.

I am sure Infinitron is sniffing around to censor and/or ridicule me for some flimsy excuse. Fucking Zionists who control the media are all the same.

Extra, extra, read all about it: editor of CRPG website likes CRPGs.

Who could’ve imagined such an atrocity? Clearly the international Jewish conspiracy is the only reasonable explanation.

After reading many of your past posts I concluded you are one puffy stupid bastard.
If I read any more slipslop that's coming out of your "brain", I'll die of diabetes.

Prime Junta

If you guys feel it's a productive use of your time to dissect one of my posts from three years ago, carry right on bros. The attention is flattering.

So hey, I'll join the fun. Here's my dissection of three-year-ago-me's first impressions of the game.

I'm a storyfag. Or more like lorefag really. If a game gives me a world that's coherent, believable, and lived-in, I can forgive a lot. Pillars has that in abundance. It's far better in this respect than any IE game other than Torment. We have nations fighting wars for reasons which make sense, with power relations changing, alliances shifting, fortunes reversing, and reversing again. We have technological, scientific, and social progress. We have people with complex relations to their gods, whom the follow -- or hate, or resent, or wrestle with -- for human reasons. We have -- finally -- put to sleep the Scots dwarf, with subraces no longer forming only their own cultures. In fact we have a range of cultures that's far broader and more interesting than anything I remember seeing in any cRPG, and drawing from a much broader range of historical cultures than just about any other game I've played. Eora exists for its own reasons, not just as a sandbox for you to play in.

Yep I agree with this paragraph. Eora is gud worldbuilding. Good job 2015 Prime Junta.

The writing and story were really good as well. We had a compelling, memorable, and really well voiced antagonist, equally compelling allies like Lady Webb, and a general flow that kept a lot of freedom without losing momentum. Not flawless, mind: like most games with a blank-slate protagonist, the main story had some problems with character motivation and acknowledgment of character choices or background (what if I thought being a Watcher was the coolest thing evar?) and the companion writing was somewhat uneven, but I was only disappointed with one of them, and there only a little. The companions' motivations for hanging out with me made sense, for the most part and with relatively minor exceptions, and they had distinct and interesting personalities, even the not-so-likeable ones. We've come a long way here from "For Shar!" and "For the Balance!"

Okay here I've got to disagree a bit. Thaos was at best an okay antagonist, although the voice acting was pretty good, and Lady Webb was also at best okay. There were more interesting NPCs in the game too. The general flow was like that up to the weird chokepoint after Defiance Bay; from there on out it was pretty much on-rails. Shame 2015 Prime Junta for not pointing that out.

I still agree, broadly, about the companions.

I also dug the pacing. It picked up speed as it went. Twin Elms didn't have nearly as much stuff in it as Defiance Bay, but that felt right: by that point, I didn't want to get bogged down in faction politics or the like.

Nah, the pacing was, again, at best okay. There was never any sense of urgency to anything; it was more like drip-feeding stuff and Defiance Bay and Twin Elms both felt pretty thin, Ondra's Gift notwithstanding.

And... I loved the way the game was an obvious parable of the stuff that's going on in our world right now. Also the way nobody's appeared to pick up on it, despite its obviousness.

Yup, it was and is, and I still think it's odd that so few people are picking up on that dimesion.

Story aside, with Pillars, though, there really wasn't all that much to forgive. I loved the character mechanics. I loved the writing, quests, and companions. And I loved the combat.

Here I'll repudiate the bit about the writing. It was serviceable, but no better than that. The character mechanics were great, the quests were for the most part pretty good, and the companions for the most part very good -- as I said ITT, the best writing in the game was companion writing. I did and still do love the combat, although I'm not quite sure why I was so gushing about it in 2015 -- it had pretty major flaws in 1.0; while it was possible to find enjoyable ways of playing it (and I did), in 1.0 it was also easy to get pushed into rote, repetitive tactics which got the job done but weren't all that much fun. This was only really addressed with the AI rewrite in 2.0, and further improved in 3.0.

The character classes and their development are, by and large, really well thought-out and fun. The classes are genuinely differentiated: playing a fighter isn't like playing a ranger or paladin -- not quite -- and despite their superficial similarities, the wizard and druid are actually quite different when you look more closely.

There's also a quite a bit of wiggle room within the classes. In my playthrough, charname was actually built "against type" -- a fighter where I pumped Dex, had high Res and Per, above-average Mig, and dumped Con and Int, and then only picked offensive talents on levelup. The result was very different than tank-and-spanking: I built Edér and Pallegina much the same way, and ended up with a front line that was both durable and devastating, but had to deal with creatures getting past it due to the engagement limits.

Yep, the character mechanics are the best aspect of P:E in terms of systems, and I'm butthurt that Josh :decline:d that for P2.

When I changed my party composition, I had to change my tactics as well. The only character who stayed with the party almost all through was Durance; I switched everyone else in or out as the spirit moved me (or as companion quests required), and consequently had to adjust the way I was doing things fairly frequently. That was a lot of fun.

Yep, still true. I suspect a lot of people just don't do this though; they build a party and stick with it to the end.

I also really dug most of the combat encounters, and combat itself. The difficulty was just about in the sweet spot for me; it felt challenging but not frustrating. Some of the boss battles were a little underwhelming though; the dragon fights were not like any of the dragon encounters in the IE games. Other than that, the fights were varied, fun, and interesting, and I had to work to keep my lines straight and stop the battlefield from turning into chaos and ruination. Success felt extremely rewarding: it wasn't so much about winning a fight -- most of them were easily winnable -- as winning it with minimal expenditure of resources. Pulling out all the stops when I was starting to run low on health or fatigue was hitting was fun too. But yeah, the game could've used some more hard boss battles -- as it is, I only had to reload a couple of times with the final battle, and with one optional late-game challenge which I took on one level "too early" (the counter to the main danger came one level later).

I was playing on Hard at this point. PotD would have been a fair bit tougher. I was also too easy on the encounter design here: while there are a number of well set-up encounters, there are way too many trash mobs and most of them are fairly unimaginative, just a bunch of mooks dropped onto the map. This was improved somewhat in 3.0 for the OC and greatly improved for WM.

And, of course, the damn thing is gorgeous, with fantastic sound and music really creating a feeling of time and space.

I could have been more critical of the music, which is fairly generic fantasy fare, a few nice tunes aside. It does look and sound good though.

(Also, guns. BOOOM! hahaha)

Yeah. I like guns in my fantasy, so sue me.

Okay, so much for the gushing. What could use improvement?

The stronghold. That felt tacked-on and superfluous. The should've put less stuff in it, but done more with it. Would it have killed Tim Cain to think of something more evocative than "Major Adventure" for Christ's sake?

Yup.

The crafting and enchantment system. It made items feel same-y, and was way too easy. "Add Corroding Lash. Click!" At the very least, I would have made Fine/Exceptional/Superb properties of the base item rather than something you can add later, and required you to go to a workshop to craft. I would also have had a skill or talent requirement for it, even if that's all it's used for.

Yup.

"Assembly-line" feel that shows through in some respects. The way the item effects are broken down into specifics, or the way many monsters are clearly put together from available parts. Understandable given the scope of the game and limited time and budget, but jarring nevertheless.

Yup. Although the itemisation was significantly improved in 2.0 and 3.0.

The spell FX and camera angle. They made things really hard to see in combat sometimes, and some of the FX slowed framerates to a crawl.

Yup.

The lack of depth in the spell system. No hard counters yadda yadda, but I would have liked some approximation of back-and-forth spell battles. The only counters I ended up using were Prayer against Fear and Suppress Affliction, and the only hostile effects that were nasty enough to require special attention were Petrified and Charmed. Why not fold in counters into the spells themselves?

Yup. This was greatly improved over the next several years though, and the spell system evolved into something pretty good.

Also it looks like Josh stole my idea for P2, what with the keyword counter system. Go me.

The fragility of enemy casters. They were only threatening en masse. If there's a single caster, it's like he has a huge bull's eye painted on his forehead and is really easy to murder.

Yup.

Boss battles. As mentioned above, they were usually underwhelming, with no special tactics or thought needed. Especially dragons which were just overgrown lizards really.

Yup. Much improved in WM though.

Level 8 of the Endless Paths. That was dull. I left the rest of the dungeon unexplored. Hit the level cap just before the endgame anyway, even with all my party switching.

Yup, it was a dull level. There were some better ones further down though.

That voice actress with an S that sounds like fingernails on chalkboard.

Yup, hate that voice.

(Version played: 1.05. Before that, I ran through the first part of the game several times with several different characters built different ways, as well as putting about 75 hours into the backer beta. Difficulty setting Hard, with auto-level companions Off but no other major difficulty changes.)

There you have it.

axedice

Cipher
Webb's only problem with being an infodump was that she's the head of the intelligence apparatus, which represents the opposite of being frank and outspoken. Being a watcher opening her up was a bit weak argument imo. Other than that, she was well placed (and voiced) for an infodump type of NPC.

Defiance Bay helped alot with world and character building with good quests such as the drug dealer wizard. The main problem lies with factions and samey trash combat in heritage hill, lighthouse etc.

So um this being the deadfire topic, should we discuss deadfire related info in the pillars topic?

Who could’ve imagined such an atrocity? Clearly the international Jewish conspiracy is the only reasonable explanation.

Are you having fun slurping the few leftover drops of JES's cum dribbling down the jew's and the cunt 's overflowing mouths?

You retarded faggot, the jew and the cunt are atleast earning some shekels on the side for thir degenerate soulless moral bankruptcy.

While their motivation for the cocksucking is despicable, it is understandable.

And you are doing that out of free, retard. Like a typical German Zombie Robot.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I saw Kyl von Kull name on the payroll last time I visited the office at Infinitron & Co.
I think I also recall seeing Prime Junta leaving the building as I arrived, and nonchalantly hopping in his brand new Jaguar f-type, holding a suspiciously bloated suitcase.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Are you having fun slurping the few leftover drops of JES's cum dribbling down the jew's and the cunt 's overflowing mouths?

You retarded faggot, the jew and the cunt are atleast earning some shekels on the side for thir degenerate soulless moral bankruptcy.

While their motivation for the cocksucking is despicable, it is understandable.

And you are doing that out of free, retard. Like a typical German Zombie Robot.

Your lack of imagination is disappointing. Obviously if Obsidian is paying for positive coverage, they’re also going to take a page from Russian intelligence and hire some ringers to create an artificial sense of support for their merchandise. I’m actually writing this out of a fanboy farm in Siberia. There are thousands of us posting positive comments about AA video games all over the internet. We live on Gatorade and Doritos; only the employee of the month gets to slurp Sawyer jizz out from the orifices of compromised pseudo-journalists—it’s the easiest way we can get a balanced diet.

Seriously, though, degenerate moral bankruptcy is a worthy goal in and of itself.

I feel like this thread really needs some Roqua right about now. Maybe I’ll take the train up to Boston and search for an angry, overweight black man who loves role playing games and hates pokeman.

2house2fly

Magister
I thought Thaos was a great antagonist. He's an immortal nihilist who genuinely believes he's the one saving the world. Some charismatic Emperor Palpatine figure would probably have gone down better with the general audience(whose criticism of him is "he didn't murder my father at the beginning like Sarevok so I have no reason to hate him") but I hope whatever big baddie you end up fighting in Pillars 2 is half as interesting as Thaos

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Some day I shall write the tale of how Infinitron hired me in 2015 to shill for obsidian on the codex. Gotta shed some light on this pillars of eternity business, you have no idea how deep it goes.
Had you never noticed the number of posters who registered back around 2015 and who suspiciously don't want to shit on obsidian, who yet deserve to be shat on - I mean they dared to make a painfully generic game to use roxor's words. If that's not a perfect justification for damnatio memoriae, I don't know what is.

Just above

1484547748653s.jpg

I literally joined this forum because I wanted to talk about rpgs with people that weren't retards.

It turns out I'm the biggest retard of them all! Ha ha! Caloo, Callay!

I have no idea how you interpreted the thing you've quoted, but you're right nonetheless.

frajaq

Erudite
oh yeah how come Lady Webb didn't get a fucking portrait considering she was the only critical NPC in the whole game

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If by "critical" you mean a throwaway NPC that is given too much attention and not critical at all, yeah, sure. Anyway, this thread has degenerated quite fast. I guess Prime Junta brings out the worst in people.

"The retarded faggot, the jew and the cunt" sounds like the beginning of some really weird joke or fairy tale

Our modern The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrove

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom