Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

3030 Deathwar Redux (Star Control-like game)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Found out about this game today. It was released a few days back, but it's been getting really good reviews. Not sure how best to describe it, but I'm getting some Star Control vibes from the screenshots and description.

It's not been a good day for John Falcon. His crew has discovered a dead body, his brand new ship's been impounded by the cops, and a lot of people seem unhappy with him... probably something to do with a missing cargo of gold bars.

A fusion of Elite-style space exploration, frantic and fast-paced combat, and a healthy dose of Lucas Arts-style comedic adventuring, 3030 Deathwar Redux sets you free to roam the entire galaxy, after a mysterious War left planets uninhabitable and the remaining stations on quarantine lockdown. Help freewheeling space pilot John get back on his feet in a huge open world, and pilot your own course through the game's dizzying array of missions, stories and features.

Will you take on some local delivery jobs so you can afford a better ship. Downsize to a jetsuit and go shooting space-junk for quick money? Or focus on finding that missing gold shipment, before the local gangs and salvage teams get there first?

Meanwhile, there's that damn mechanic who sold you a stolen ship, and this mysterious 'Taoist' group who everyone keeps talking about. Before long, John finds himself inextricably caught up in a plot of intergalactic intrigue...

Features
* Open-world space adventure with frantic combat and 30 star systems to explore
* Board stations, visit the bars and talk to an array of space scum
* Ghostly derelict ships to find on your Star-Map, spacewalk into, and salvage valuables
* Large variety of fun jobs and missions, with amusing and exciting side-quests
* Diverse array of ships to buy and upgrade for Performance, Defence and Combat
* Get a fuel-scoop and refuel from the corona of a sun without frying yourself!
* Find Pirate Stations and begin a life of crime, attack innocent traders, steal cargo from traffic
* Invest in a large cargo ship and go asteroid mining for metals, or haul goods between systems
* Hidden wormhole shortcuts, comets, unique stations and other secrets to find
* Get caught up in an irreverent, amusing and enthralling main story
* A whole load more!

3030 Deathwar was originally released in 2007. The Redux version is a completely reworked game, the result of several years of hard work, and adds an extended adventure - with more characters and content, graphical enhancements, balancing and gameplay changes, a smoother tutorial and tons of other improvements!

Developed by Matt Griffiths & Mic N
Additional Design by Max Dohme
Published by Crunchy Leaf Games

ss_19c882c2442982ff4139f29120437b1430cb0eb0.jpg

ss_fee02e9b8b46df41e6d91f65fe52b0febd6435f6.jpg

ss_3a32ee5b0a7d631fe0f5cadcc2045b8ca132e775.jpg

ss_8620d1864ee3acfdec49b686d84643f438f9126c.jpg

ss_1ca113a1664315b96925d754246e59c11b489327.jpg

Steam link:

Last edited by a moderator:

Azazel

Arbiter
This game is fucking AWESOME.

First thing I've played in what feels like years that has actual character rather than just being a reskin of the same systems I've been playing for twenty fuckin' years.

10/10.

:yeah:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Azazel mind elaborating on the game's systems? How does it compare to Escape Velocity Nova, Space Rangers or Star Control 2?

Azazel

Arbiter
Start out with fetch quests but within about 30 minutes you're able to upgrade enough to do combat (which is brutally difficult) and salvage missions (salvaging is cool), I'm only a couple hours in tho. Heavy EV Nova influence, ability to enter derelicts is cool and I hope that expands later in the game. I mean, don't mistake me, it's still the same systems we've been playing for twenty years. But there's so much character put into it compared to more recent experiences that you can overlook the systems and just enjoy the ride. Great humor, really great soundtrack, lots of little touches that bring it to life instead of feeling sterile.

I dunno, it feels like someone put real heart into this rather that shitting out a skinner box full of licensed art assets and that's compelling. Makes me feel like I'm 12 and playing Star Control 2 for the first time again.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
interesting, how did I miss this one? Probably ignored it due to the utterly terrible title (3030 deathwar? really?) or maybe because it was posted in general gaming and not the space sim or the adventure game subforum, but I am hearing a few good things so I will give it a try

Last edited:

Morkar Left

It's actually a pretty old game and was released for free back in the time (around 10 years ago?). But now it seems to be expanded a lot (mainly salvaging / gun use) and I guess worth every dollar.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Been following this since EA. Its released now, but they are still making improvements to the game. Looks like an interesting mashup.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
From the Codex inbox:

'3030 Deathwar Redux' Free Modding Update 'The Nanobot Conspiracy' Now Available on PC
Epic space adventure updated today with free release headlined by modding support

March 16th, 2018 -- Crunchy Leaf Games announces its open-world space adventure game 3030 Deathwar Redux has received a new modding-focused update release now available for Windows PC on Steam and Humble Store!

Dubbed 3030 Deathwar Redux: The Nanobot Conspiracy, this gigantic new update is FREE to all current and future 3030 players. Chiefly, the release opens all game files to be modded -- that includes scripting, missions, dialogue, characters and game locations. Players can easily add new ships, weapons and upgrades, translate the text files to another language, or even write personal side-quests and storylines for other players to explore. With a new Modding Manager and Mod Uploader tool for Steam Workshop, the possibilities are endless!

Beyond the modding features, veteran 3030 Deathwar Redux players will also notice a swath of additions and improvements to the game itself. Highlights include more dangerous enemies and danger in general depending on your choices, video-billboard ships and traffic lanes around stations, a weapons recharge indicator and displays for weapon stats -- as well as entirely too much other stuff to list here. More info can be found in the full release notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/464360/announcements/

3030 Deathwar Redux combines top-down space trading and combat with a classic 2D adventure game experience reminiscent of classic 90's adventure titles, checking both boxes emphatically. The game is accompanied by The Kyoto Connection's amazing soundtrack, and both are backed by a 96% positive Steam user rating from nearly 200 reviews, with high placement on multiple Steam Space Game and Hidden Gem lists.

3030 Deathwar Redux is currently available for $14.99, with a special 34% discount through March 20th that takes the price to under $9.99.

To find out more, visit: http://www.crunchyleafgames.com/games/3030redux.php
Discord: https://discord.gg/63Q3uzF
Twitter: @CrunchyLeafGame

About Crunchy Leaf Games
Crunchy Leaf is a tiny team based in Berlin, developing and publishing unique and enjoyable indie games such as 3030 Deathwar Redux and Stars of Icarus. We focus on solid mechanics first and foremost, and community involvement is one of our core values. We're also suckers for Sci-Fi, but might explore outside of that realm at some point.

Modron

Arcane
:necro:
Necroing to say this currently has a free weekend in case some of you were curious about trying it out like myself.

normie

️‍
Patron
Zionist Agent
Insert Title Here
looks grotesque, makes you cringe and plays like ass

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom