Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

PanteraNera

Arcane
Capture5647347.png

2 action system in my TFTD!!!! :)
AWESOME!!!
Finally TFTD is playable.
Were can I buy it?
:takemymoney:

i spent the last few days catching up with this thread and the points which stuck in my head are:
- limited mod support (not sure about this)
- xcock carbon-copy (and stop this nuxcom shit, it's X-COM vs XCOM, if you need to add further differences to distinguish them you've the iq of a rock. and a stupid one)
- maybe, just maybe, complexity is going to be added later

so, you have one year or less (which is as long as a decent team needs to put together system shock 2) and you're still working on mechanics, let alone balance? holy fuck, this definitely doesn't bode well.
xcom sold because it had no opponents, and didn't sell as well as it should have because it sucked. later long war 2 came to the rescue, but it was too little, too late and too masochistic. now that we have multiple instances, expansions and clones of that terrible game what makes you think another one is going to take all the market?
this is in the mildly-bad case scenario, because if history taught me something is that the promised complexity never comes. never did, never will.
on top of this, there's a possible low interest in moddability?
a shame i hate popcorn, otherwise i'd have taken a can and sit waiting for the incoming trainwreck.

PanteraNera

Arcane
It is save to guess that Q4 2018 is not doable.
Question is, will they run out of money and have to release it in an unfinished state or not. Again time will tell.

Also here some extra info's from the discord regarding the pre-alpha-demo for the PC Gamer Weekend, current state and random stuff:

M7NQeYH.png

6lwpe0g.png

ocZU2UU.png

F3bLDEf.png

8vVOJAX.png

nrPgkzb.png

xw1YpWn.png

regarding screenshots and concept of the Fig campaign:
mk58l0e.png

7DsBgqU.png

fhzQtBX.png

otherwise noteworthy:
SEE6YT8.png

PdNtasX.png

j4zs72V.png

KAyjhIF.png

YbMln8u.png

plenty time to change (there are way more post's like that ;) )
RbLK2EK.png

Y57Xc2D.png

sn7q38E.png

Also never before seen images (at least outside of discord, I guess):
91c1c0e536ef1c601886d3cc9582b15a.png

Chiron

image.jpg

Technician (that was supposed to be in the PC Gamer Weekend pre-alpha)

a800579881629829ecc7d8e450404400.png

Crabqueen concept

d5c37c388a0b22a854018b5014470ff6.png

Chiron concept

20e3f5973bec6d8a391576c40536303f.png

redone larva

*edit*
1baacb023745e13d47d9391f7cebc91e-png.jpg

just posted now on discord, its a Disciples of Anu rider ;)

Also Q4 2018 just confirmed on discord:
BldHVyr.png

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game is so far away. Hopefully Battletech is good enough to last until end of summer and Kingmaker is going to be good enough to last until PP releases. And some other games in between to fill up time.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
version number 4 with the hands and clawed fingers is way better and more spooky than the current concept.

PdNtasX.png

"the geoscape itself isn't much fun without the story"?
WHAT THE FUCK AM I READING!
The strategic aspect of the game - geoscape interaction- its sole purpose is to further the story?
On the randomly haven populated geoscape you have exploration/events , mission selections, interceptions, base startups and interactions, black mist progression etc.

How story-heavy can we expect the game to be?
There will be a lot of story elements, often attached to different places and encounters, but I would say the main driving force behind the story will be the research system, as with the original X-COM. In the case of Phoenix Point, however, you will need to make some choices that take you down one path while forsaking efforts in others.

In the Fig pitch it was said that "you control the skies"
What does that means? Will there be aerial combat of just transporting troops by air?

sn7q38E.png

what does free aiming means in this case? aiming and shooting at anything you want during or outside of combat?
If so, if this shit is taken out, I will want a motherfuckin refund.

Capture64547645.png

How original...If xcom 2 has redundant fantasy giant pauldrons on aliens with bad teeth, PP will have dudes wearing helmets with tusks and horns riding mutated bunnies .
Is this shit Endless Legend all of a sudden?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Considering Endless Legend is best 4x since Birth of the Federation, I hope PP is as good as EL

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have nothing against detailed world building, but I was hoping it would just be for the initial setup, and when you actually start playing you are set loose on the world. Bit like the X-com games I guess. I'm not sure if the original came with background story in the manual, but both Terror from the Deep and Apocalypse came with extra books containing background story and world building - it was awesome. But when the game started you were free to do whatever, so I really hope there won't be too much linear story mission progression required.

Mustawd

what does free aiming means in this case? aiming and shooting at anything you want during or outside of combat?
If so, if this shit it's taken out, I will want a motherfuckin refund.

He might mean that you can choose bodyparts to shoot at as long as you have willpoints availble to spend on it. This was shown in his demo vid.

Yah, I found that a weird concept. Although, having a faction system kinda requires you to have some kind of mechanic to introduce and interact with them. Which might mean the events are scripted depending on how you play the game.

EDIT: Like alienman said, if this leads to scripted events a la nuXCOM, then that’d be dissapointing, but in line with making it more like nuXCOM.

I never played xcom Apocalypse. Didnt that game have factions or am I just making that up? If so, how was it handled?

ArchAngel

Arcane

He might mean that you can choose bodyparts to shoot at as long as you have willpoints availble to spend on it. This was shown in his demo vid.

Yah, I found that a weird concept. Although, having a faction system kinda requires you to have some kind of mechanic to introduce and interact with them. Which might mean the events are scripted depending on how you play the game.
No, they talked about free aiming during Fig. The game is supposed to let you shoot like in UFO and blow up any wall or house you want without needing to target enemies.

Mustawd

No, they talked about free aiming during Fig. The game is supposed to let you shoot like in UFO and blow up any wall or house you want without needing to target enemies.

Oh nice. That’s friggin incline for sure.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

EDIT: Like alienman said, if this leads to scripted events a la nuXCOM, then that’d be dissapointing, but in line with making it more like nuXCOM.

I never played xcom Apocalypse. Didnt that game have factions or am I just making that up? If so, how was it handled?

It had a lot of factions, all with different backgrounds and agendas. If you got the weapon manufacturer pissed off they wouldn't sell you weapons and so on. It was awesome, all simulated, no mission things required. The only thing that was "scripted" I guess was that the cult would end up hating you eventually even if you tried to play nice.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Oh nice. That’s friggin incline for sure.
Yea. And I really hope the released game has that implemented.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It had a lot of factions, all with different backgrounds and agendas. If you got the weapon manufacturer pissed off they wouldn't sell you weapons and so on. It was awesome, all simulated, no mission things required. The only thing that was "scripted" I guess was that the cult would end up hating you eventually even if you tried to play nice.
I don't think even that was "scripted" per se, the aliens would just keep doing influence events against the cult and it was impossible to keep up.
Another thing about the faction system was that once a group was infiltrated by the aliens, that was it - there was no way to "cure" them, they were enemies forever. Made the whole game very urgent, gotta shoot down every UFO or they might take over something important.

and that was the only thing i truly appreciated about xcom. taking back a lost nation. or was it a lw thing? most probably.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I don't think even that was "scripted" per se, the aliens would just keep doing influence events against the cult and it was impossible to keep up.
Another thing about the faction system was that once a group was infiltrated by the aliens, that was it - there was no way to "cure" them, they were enemies forever. Made the whole game very urgent, gotta shoot down every UFO or they might take over something important.

A cool thing about this, is that you didn't have to wait for missions. If you could visible see infiltration being done by a UFO, you could chance it and send a X-com squad over there to investigate. The risk being here that you would anger the corporation by doing unnecessary investigations if you didn't find anything. Man, love that game, such a shame it didn't get the time it needed to become a instant classic like the original. Hopefully the OpenApoc project will stay alive for a long time and spawn great mods.

PanteraNera

Arcane
If so, if this shit is taken out, I will want a motherfuckin refund.

to put in context here the actual question:
WIkmJFi.png

sn7q38E.png

additional info:
7WPgMqx.png

7hV3Y73.png

So on 04.09.17 the free-aim-feature made it into the game. Why didn't they show it in the pre-alpha-demo on the PC Gamer Weekend?

hQht7vN.png

s0h1YNH.png

3sEkyzg.png

In the Fig pitch it was said that "you control the skies"
What does that means? Will there be aerial combat of just transporting troops by air?
that's the only official mention I found on discord:
NcpxCxQ.png

j4zs72V.png

(JohnAtanasov is actually a Dev, he is tagged as designer)
QosS3Jm.png

some more interesting extra bit's:
Dirum3d.png

regarding this (air) vehicle:
https%3A%2F%2Fd3pylr1apgoxnh.cloudfront.net%2Fcampaign_images%2Fimages%2F4b5e2a2d2d5eb69602548b48f4dcb7e1eba36ae2%2Foriginal.jpg%3F1491569849

4EkZFIA.png

lJOWYf0.png

b27NW1O.png

seCGxzI.png

remember the weapon models you could watch in 3d way earlier ITT?
s7oQRjB.png

xOSTFPl.png

8yh7fvV.png

everything that is no in the production updates, or has been posted before (even the Fig campaign) is not up to date

Extra picture New Jerchio classes:
NJ_Soldiers_wallpapper1920_1080.jpg

other recent image:
unknown.png

from the PC Gamer Weekend demo:
unknown.png

PanteraNera

Arcane
that's it for today, maybe I am doing another round tomorrow ;)

About voice-acting:
bZ648Fo.png

uhCzm0p.png

here is some of the statements that got my hopes up regarding the tactical part of PP (and than came the PC Gamer Weekend demo):
Isse8z2.png

JBfSVH9.png

With that last quote, let's rewatch the PC Gamer Weekend demo again ;) .
Must be me, but ... it looks pretty much the same as the fig-prototype ... besides the updated graphics.

Regarding fig visuals and concept (again):
9tJUM4Y.png

uhm, but what if, for example people did actually bake because for example they liked the post-apocalyptic style of New Jerchio (now they are generic Space Marines) or the tech-body-horror (won't be in the final game, maybe I come across that statement later). Yeah ... actually it is not, what was shown.
Found it :D :
UN59AaA.png

oh but, what was linked at the Fig campaign? This:
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point/updates/365
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/omAAq
svetoslav-petrov-ogre.jpg

svetoslav-petrov-gw-9.jpg

svetoslav-petrov-infested-2.jpg

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Which chapter does the Assault Marine belong to in the Tyranids screenshot? I call Ultramarines...no wait. Wrong game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom