Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any mondblutian TB full custom party cRPG

V_K

Arcane
not tried aethra nahlakh and natuk.
Nahlakh (if you can stomach the graphics) and Natuk should be right up your alley. Another game in a similar vein is Helherron (check the codex thread for the latest version).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes Helherron is good, can recommend 100%, and it's free to boot.

Also try Dungeons of Chaos, it's for less than 10 bux on Steam. It's a PC port of a mobile RPG and isn't really up to par with the classics (your characters can't attack diagonally in melee, wtf) but it's a decent game if you already finished everything else.

Also try the Keep on the Borderlands mod for ToEE. Most of its content is meh compared to ToEE, but some encounters are really good (the wizard's tower is great, for example).

Lagi

Savant
Naklah is not working on anything newer than russian pc "Odra". I also read the manual and the system doesnt look well crafted [char creation f.ex]

Natuk is godlike, its the best system I play so far, very nice balance of power grow with skill [hit%, +dmg], so its not creating drastic gap between warrior and cleric in melee combat f.ex.. Would like to play it more if not this stuttering/delay the game has with everything. I would not play it also, if not the "t" shortcut, in battle to center on enemies. The plot and ambient of orc tribe is unique, all this achieve with few sentence, which are unnoticeable to digest.

POWS [something with pirates] - another tom proudfort game, has even more interesting tactic options [rolling], little more UI [R-click menu]. Still the game is lagging, not sure maybe its by design, maybe in Dosbox its faster? The starting city as list of txt names to click is repulsive at first, but doesnt take time to go past starting location.

Helherron - is working lightspeed. 8 char !!! The freedom in your action is very pleasurable to play. RECOMMEND even thou has very unbalanced race/class combination. No- its not the level of unbalance when you can say "i dont care, cause its single". Without efficient party, min-max from start, prepare for lots of frustration with reloading after each death. [amount of drop skill & crippled builds, is not even close comparable to IcewindDale f.ex]

Aethra Chronicles - was my first rpg. I play it many times shareware/full version. Each time I'm bewitched by its charm - city exploration, combat graphic, spell casters/ spell lists. but to be honest, I must say if you dont feel any nostalgia into it. Exile is better.

Swords of exile is IMO the best remake of exile. Viewport, UI & QoL make all the difference. Even if system exploits make it way worse than Geneforge.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Naklah is not working on anything newer than russian pc "Odra". I also read the manual and the system doesnt look well crafted [char creation f.ex]
Just slow it down enough to run, it's written in Pascal and it shows, or just use patch for the module Crt's error 200.

V_K

Arcane
Still the game is lagging, not sure maybe its by design, maybe in Dosbox its faster?
IIRC, Proudfoot never finished PoWS, he just released whatever build he had at the time. So there's supposed to be a ton of bugs and unfinished content.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Maybe the Shadowrun series? Also, among lesser known TB blobbers: Starcrawlers, 7 Mages, The Quest (just one character).

Caves of Qud is not quite finished, but is supposed to be a great rogue-like in Early Access.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
No it is not, by far. The one thing it is good at is level design and general atmosphere. although this wears off rather quickly, and then you start cursing at a obtuse UI, endlessly droning npcs and generally stuff which takes far too long for it's own sake.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It has been said before but I also recommend the FRUA pnp modules. There's a ton of them out there and you can basically make your own campaign by chaining the old pen and paper modules together. Read this thread from Jaesun for a great guide on how to set it all up:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ealms-unlimited-adventures-frua-thread.61909/

And here's a website telling you in what order to play the modules to make your own campaigns:

http://therealm.flopsyville.com/Menu.htm

It's really worth it :)

Lagi

Savant

"Ring of power and Power Ring: Removed +10 shots."

:littlemissfun:
:notsureifserious:

You need limits to have fun, it was almost "win button".
same as Chrissta the joinable NPC that steal all my kills. She walk around the battlefield and kill all my enemies in single turn. Why the fuck I babysit whole game my team then?

on the other hand Staffs buff with useful spell is nice. This is type of fun i like.

aaaaaa.... I'm not downloading this

da_rays

Augur
Hard to give more input with what you've played and what precedent posts suggested.
gonna give it a try tho , starting with Wizardry 8 , +1 for that one , play it with no regret.
Else, not mentionned before is Krai Mira , Fallout-ish 2 RPG , you create your starting character and can add party members afterward to explore a post apoc world. Servicable , does have it flaws.
Stellar Tactic is a sanbox RPG where you have you own ship , crew and so missions across the galaxy , still in early access , but look very promising .
While on the Spaceship and crew concept , Star trader frontier is also a sand box RPG where you are the captain of a spaceship and do mission accross the universe with a big crew ( 20 and more character all with stats and skills )
Fuck it , more space shit : Halcyon 6 , pixel graph strategy/RPG where you upgrade a space station and battle with turn based combat either with your ships or officers .
And im gonna finish with the Circle of Eight module for ToEE , need a bit of patching downloading and setup , but if you like the ToEE engine , you might find loads to do there.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom