Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Codex Year of the Donut
what is the best romance writing that you know of? Witcher 3 i take it?

In video games? Planescape: Torment, without any question. The fact that goons don't even recognise it as romance because there's no boinking or happily-ever-after just underlines the point.

(All of the Witchers are above par, good daytime TV quality, but not even close to PS:T.)
falls from grace best waifu

Prime Junta

what is the best romance writing that you know of? Witcher 3 i take it?

In video games? Planescape: Torment, without any question. The fact that goons don't even recognise it as romance because there's no boinking or happily-ever-after just underlines the point.

(All of the Witchers are above par, good daytime TV quality, but not even close to PS:T.)
falls from grace best waifu

deionarra best romance tho

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
itt someone who considers BG2 romances to be well written sets himself up as arbiter of taste in good writing
This works for you as well.

Oh?

ITT I've cited PS:T and the Witchers as examples of good writing in RPGs. Do you disagree?
Witchers, PS:T, and I'd add Deus Ex - it doesn't take very keen sight to distinguish the Sun from the Moon, like that Japanese guy said.

But you've also claimed repeatedly that PoE is average. It's your opinion though, so...

I really need access to the cuck rating for Prime Junta in this board
I want a special "Awesome!" rating styled like the "Yes!" rating. How much do I have to up my pledge?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The best romance that i had in a game was in kotor 1. I really liked it because you had one choice and it felt really natural,maybe because i was able to play myself. The whole romance felt very realistic.

Also it is not romance if you don't use your meat stick. If it was,the codex will be the love hive of the internet,all the incels here will be love beasts.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

But you've also claimed repeatedly that PoE is average. It's your opinion though, so...

What we're trying to establish here is what each of us considers "bad," "good," and "average" writing in games. The Hon. fantadomat has gone on record stating that he considers at least one of Aerie + backpack baby, Jaheira, Viconia, and Anomen romances "good writing." I've gone on record with the Witchers and PS:T as examples of good writing (could add MotB and FONV), and the Mass Effects, Dragon Ages, and IE games other than PS:T as examples of average writing. (I could add the Elder Scrolls series, DOS1 & 2, and a whole bunch more.)

So it's pretty clear I have different standards than fantadomat.

What I'm curious about is what your idea of "average" writing in RPGs is, and if it's not defined by major mainstream games like the ones I listed, then what is it defined by, and why?

And if it is, in fact, defined by these major mainstream games, then I'd like you to explain in what ways, in your opinion, Mass Effect's or DA:I's writing is so far superior to Pillars 1's that they deserve to be placed in a higher category?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What I'm curious about is what your idea of "average" writing in RPGs is
Quick answer: better than PoE.

What I'm curious about is what your idea of "average" writing in RPGs is, and if it's not defined by major mainstream games like the ones I listed, then what is it defined by, and why?
"What is literature", then?
I've kind of answered that in the thread I pointed to - Order these games by how bad their writing is.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Prime Junta i hate illogical writing and plotholes also i hate unrealistic scaling. PoE is filled with this shit,most of their lore doesn't make any sense and is filled with plotholes. A small asteroid managed to eradicate most life on Terra but Moon(even if small) hitting their planet manage to blow up a few cities....yeah logic,and all that because some stupid reason. PoE is on the same level of shit as D:OS1&2.
PoE does have some decent writing in it but the main story and lore are pretty bad. Characters are well written and dialogue with others is....serviceable. Where the writing fails is in the world building and the presentation.

DAI does have painfully average writing,but it doesn't have plotholes and illogical shit. ME is pretty good sci-fi writing,nothing illogical about it,good dialogue,nice blue things to fuck. ME2 had better writing. Also i never said that they are vastly superior.

For me game with good writing are Torment,Deus ex,Thief,half the Witcher 3,shadowrun games,king of dragon pass,arcanum and a few other.
Games with serviceable writing on the good side are games like Dragon age origins + exp,IE games,Spiderweb games,kotors,ELEX,old Divinity games,drakensang and others.
Games with serviceable writing on the boring side are games like Any other dragon age game, NWN games in some places,most Bethesda games,Numanuma and others.

PoE and DOS have some retarded illogical shit that 6th year old could come up with. Again moonshot and universe eating dragon that is no bigger than a room....

Prime Junta

Oh come on, surely you can do better than that. That's not even good weaseling.

Seriously bro, just list a couple of games you think have average writing, explain why you feel they should represent the average, and how their writing is so much better than P:E's that they deserve to be placed in a higher category. How hard can it be?

fantadomat So the ME series is pretty good sci-fi writing with nothing illogical about it.

:updatedmytxt:

AwesomeButton

Patron

Seriously bro, just list a couple of games you think have average writing, explain why you feel they should represent the average, and how their writing is so much better than P:E's that they deserve to be placed in a higher category. How hard can it be?
No, you are looking for a game title so you can start a biased comparison to PoE and an argument no one is interested in. Read my opinion in the thread I cited.

I'd say a game that has both good and bad writing is DA:O, but I can't define "average" as a middle point between its good and bad parts.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ok really now. What do you thing is good about the writing in PoE? If you say Durance i will sidekick you trough the monitor :). I have the feeling that we see writing as different thing. I see it as more of a lore and world building and don't put big emphasis on the dialogues,most rpgs do them ok.

Prime Junta

Fair enough. If you're not able to clarify what you mean by "average" in terms of actually existing games though, I don't think there's much basis for a conversation here, as it puts you in a position where you can shift the goalposts any time.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

No, you are looking for a game title so you can start a biased comparison to PoE and an argument no one is interested in. Read my opinion in the thread I cited.

I'd say a game that has both good and bad writing is DA:O, but I can't define "average" as a middle point between its good and bad parts.
DOOM and DOOM2 have average writing.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Fair enough. If you're not able to clarify what you mean by "average" in terms of actually existing games though, I don't think there's much basis for a conversation here, as it puts you in a position where you can shift the goalposts any time.
Sure thing. Unless you can define an RPG, there is not much basis for the existance of forums to discuss RPGs.

G'day! :lol:

Prime Junta

What do you thing is good about the writing in PoE?

Off the top of my head: Sagani's story and vision quest, and how the two played out, Pallegina's vision quest and how that told a lot about how the Vailian Republics function without going into a ton of expository detail, just about everything about Edér, what we learned about Skaen and the Skaenites in Dyrford -- again, most of it came through by the environment and actions, not so much expository loredumps.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
I think poe's weakness in writing is more visible in the player's interactions with the world (npcs/companions mostly) than with the actual meat of its story/lore/situations.
See the paper from roxor on the matter.
It has a poor narration. It gets worse with the overuse of descriptive text, as grunker noted in his review.

I mean, yeah, we have 10 reviews and an occasional case study now and then. I've never read someone claim that the writing is not a problem in poe, even less properly defend that claim.

Trashos

Arcane
Not an expert on videogame romances, but I thought Jaheira's was well done. It felt realistic. Better done than DAO's romances, for example, where the characters were a bit too weird.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What do you thing is good about the writing in PoE?

Off the top of my head: Sagani's story and vision quest, and how the two played out, Pallegina's vision quest and how that told a lot about how the Vailian Republics function without going into a ton of expository detail, just about everything about Edér, what we learned about Skaen and the Skaenites in Dyrford -- again, most of it came through by the environment and actions, not so much expository loredumps.
Sooo you like the same things as i do about the game,but you just close your eyes about the retardation. It seems that you have higher threshold about stupidity in the writing. Also it will be nice to get contra respond on my essay on the averageness in rpgs writing,that you wanted that much.

Kotor 2 best romance. Just how it works RL ghettos.

Nigga beats his bitch until the hoe blows.

Also, Prime Junta is so used to shit that it is average for him. Awesome Button hit the nail on the Prime Cunt's Agenda a bit earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom