Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Valve and Steam Platform Discussion Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Last week's top sellers list (microtransactions do not count) is all about guns, except Kingdom Come:

#10 - Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
#9 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Year 3 Pass
#8 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
#7 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege
#6 - ARK: Survival Evolved
#5 - Grand Theft Auto V
#4 - Hunt Showdown
#3 - Stellaris: Apocalypse
#2 - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS

Last week's top sellers list based on revenues (microtransactions do not count):

#10 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - zzzzzz
#9 - Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online - Forget Chrono Trigger.
#8 - Deep Rock Galactic - Another co-op sandbox game. Buuuut this one has Space Dwarves, so that's that.
#7 - Into the Breach - This has sold over 100K according to Steamspy. But its price is pretty low so probably not gonna go high up in this chart.
#6 - Hunt Showdown - Crytek's new co-op shooter doing not bad, but... look at #3.
#5 - Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Like many single-player games, sales are going down after release hype period.
#4 - FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION - So it looks like this is going to be the best PC port from them, getting some hype. This... cannot be the chosen one, right?
#3 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Pre-order gives you instant beta access and this is getting some serious hype, I see.
#2 - NieR:Automata - One year, no update, but that butt, and 50% discount, so selling like crazy.
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
#4 - FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION - So it looks like this is going to be the best PC port from them, getting some hype. This... cannot be the chosen one, right?
What? With all the nvidia gameshit it will run as crap on anything not 1080ti. Ops:

"But Wait, It Gets Worse! – GameWorks Renders FFXV A Stuttering Mess Even On NVIDIA’s GTX 1080 Ti Unfortunately, while the impact GameWorks has on FPS is more pronounced on AMD, another more serious performance issue that multiple hardware reviewers have run into affects both NVIDIA and AMD graphics cards. Namely persistent visual hitching and stuttering that’s introduced at the High preset that affects even the GTX 1080 Ti."
"The three presets are “Lite”, “Middle” and “High”. There are six different NVIDIA GameWorks effects in Final Fantasy XV. Four of which are automatically enabled at the High preset and cannot be individually toggled on or off from inside or outside the game."

Gerrard

Arcane
It's 2018 and nVidia is still doing the same shit thy have been doing 10 years ago with physX, except now it's a whole bunch of shit instead of just extra particle effects.

Latelistener

Arcane
The game is shit anyway.
Nomura was kicked out, and they brought Tabata instead, who ruined the game.
If the first one is a creative person, who was responsible for many things in the series since FFV (and the first Kingdom Hearts), and who could actually turn FFXV into a big hit, then Tabata as you call it an "effective manager", who just got the job done (and ruined the main storyline and characters during the process).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
+M https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-hooray-valves-going-to-start-shipping-games-again/

Gabe Newell: 'Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again'
Valve was "jealous of Nintendo," now has the expertise to "develop hardware and software simultaneously."

At a presentation for upcoming Dota 2-themed card game Artifact at Valve's offices in Bellevue, Washington today, Gabe Newell reiterated that Valve is getting back into developing new games beyond its current roster of multiplayer titles. After talking about Valve's focus on Steam and hardware during the past several years, which he described as "an investment in the future", Newell said "Artifact is the first of several games that are going to be coming from us. So that's sort of good news. Hooray! Valve's going to start shipping games again."

That's games, plural: Artifact isn't the only game Valve is working on. In a January 2017 Reddit AMA, Newell did confirm that Valve was working on at least one fully-fledged singleplayer game. And the following month, in roundtable interviews with PC Gamer, Newell said that Valve was working on "three big VR games." Today's statement doesn't make it 100 percent clear whether Valve has projects in development beyond these previously mentioned games, but it is a possibility. "We aren't going to be talking about it today," Newell said, "but sort of the big thing, the new arrow we have in our quiver, really, is our ability to develop hardware and software simultaneously."

Newell gave some background on Valve's projects from the last few years, like SteamVR and the Vive headset, explaining that the company was worried about the PC heading in the direction of an iPhone-esque closed ecosystem. "You can see that Microsoft was like, wow, how can we make Windows more like that? Or Zuckerberg is saying, 'well I tried to compete in the phones, I got my ass kicked, so I'm going to create this new thing, VR, which will allow me to recreate the kind of closed, high margin ecosystem that Apple's done.' And that really started to worry us, because we thought that the strength of the PC is about its openness … So we started to make some investments to offset that."

Those investments, Newell said, meant they hadn't released a new game since Dota 2—but that work wasn't wasted time. "The positive thing about the Vive is, in addition to making sure that nobody created an iOS closed platform for it, was also that it gave us the opportunity to develop our in-house expertise in hardware design. Five years ago, we didn't have electrical engineers and people who know how to do robots. Now there's pretty much no project in the hardware space that we wouldn't be comfortable taking on. We can design chips if we need to, we can do industrial design, and so on. So that added to that."

With Valve's new hardware chops, it seems like we can expect more than new games from the company. "We've always been a little bit jealous of companies like Nintendo," Newell said. "When Miyamoto is sitting down and thinking about the next version of Zelda or Mario, he's thinking what is the controller going to look like, what sort of graphics and other capabilities. He can introduce new capabilities like motion input because he controls both of those things. And he can make the hardware look as good as possible because he's designing the software at the same time that's really going to take advantage of it. So that is something we've been jealous of, and that's something that you'll see us taking advantage of subsequently."

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
So after making a moba and a hearthstone clone whats next?

CS Go Battle Royale edition. Rush b suka blyat while being chased by hordes of angry 14 year olds screaming profanities in their mikes with their lovely high pitched voices.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So after making a moba and a hearthstone clone whats next?

CS Go Battle Royale edition. Rush b suka blyat while being chased by hordes of angry 14 year olds screaming profanities in their mikes with their lovely high pitched voices.

There were some leaked source sound files that people speculated may be for Battle Royale mode in CS :D

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Another day on Steam.

What does this $200 software do, you say? It's a "physics and 4D optics tool." Look at this wonder:

ss_6c377d0c9d2c9562b4ea7a76aee67e13d511a166.600x338.jpg

DMD Branefold is a physics and 4D optics tool. Create scenes, renders, for logos, and animated sequences. Export 3.5D mazes with portals and connections between parts of the 3-brane. Create depictions of space curvature in 3D by mapping walk spaces to "acceleration space" and other transformations.

“In the current state of DMD Branefold, acceleration spaces can be generated that do not yet fully capture a non-intersecting set of sheets and balanced curvature, though it does satisfy the triangle area distributions. Geodesic and perpendicular walks through a sample space are also available, as an example, though it is not customizable. Refraction through modifiers is possible, though not in this build. It will be added in soon, though more of as a tech demo that can be examined, rather than fully customizable and accessible feature.

Basically all the editor does right now is allow scrolling through the bottom right panel and rotating and playing the sim and pausing, showing a perpendicular walk of the scene at each frame. It also can generate an acceleration space, although incomplete, from the Transform menu. These are the only features right now, besides playing with the GUI. As said, all the features are supposed to be finished by 7 months. The 3.5D mazes are not even the main feature. They are very interesting but equally interesting is the refraction using modifiers (gravity) which I'm adding in first, and has been tested, and later I'm correcting the errors in the logically finished code I already have to do the refraction through a 3.5D brane mesh.”

But it looks like, 16 hours after the release, this developer was so mad that no one buys this great piece of software, and changed the app's name: https://steamdb.info/app/810080/history/

Changed name DMD BranefoldFuck off faggots fuck this shit go buy this

About one minute later, they changed it back:

Changed name Fuck off faggots fuck this shit go buy thisDMD Branefold

Probably they realized it was a mistake that could jeopardize all of their grand "scheme."

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Last week's top sellers list based on revenues (microtransactions do not count):

#10 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - zzzzzz
#9 - Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online - Forget Chrono Trigger.
#8 - Deep Rock Galactic - Another co-op sandbox game. Buuuut this one has Space Dwarves, so that's that.
#7 - Into the Breach - This has sold over 100K according to Steamspy. But its price is pretty low so probably not gonna go high up in this chart.
#6 - Hunt Showdown - Crytek's new co-op shooter doing not bad, but... look at #3.
#5 - Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Like many single-player games, sales are going down after release hype period.
#3 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Pre-order gives you instant beta access and this is getting some serious hype, I see.
#2 - NieR:Automata - One year, no update, but that butt, and 50% discount, so selling like crazy.
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last week's top sellers based on revenues (microtransactions do not count).

Not only Japanese boy band, even the tide of vermin couldn't do the job:

#10 - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - zzzzzzzz
#9 - Kingdom Come: Deliverance - This is probably the last week we see this before first discount.
#8 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Collector's Edition - The hype. The hype makes people buy the edition comes with silly digital vanities.
#7 - Hearts of Iron IV: Waking the Tiger - Of China, for China.
#6 - FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION - This probably is a few days of pre-order sales last week.
#5 - Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege - Year 3 Pass - This 2-year-old game is breaking its concurrent players record at the moment.
#4 - NieR:Automata - This anniversary sale is very long, eh?
#3 - FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION - I wonder if the sales are above their expectation. They said they hope to sell 2 millions on PC.
#2 - Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Then again, it's interesting to see how they made a very successful sequel.
#1 - PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Modron

Arcane
So FFXV is both 6th and 3rd place?
I believe it's common for valve to separate preorders and post release sales in these reports, possibly because they have different numbers in steam because of preorder bundle deals you know including dlc in the prepurchase and what not.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/03/13/what-developers-think-of-steam-reviews/

What developers think of Steam reviews

reviews5-620x303.jpg

Since 2013, Steam has allowed its users to leave reviews on the Steam page of games they have purchased. Using the system, players can leave a written description of the game in question, and then award it a binary “Recommended” or “Not Recommended” rating. These reviews are then aggregated into “recent” and “overall” ratings for the game which are displayed on the game’s Steam page. These ratings range from “Overwhelmingly Positive” to “Mostly Negative.”

Because of Steam’s ubiquity on the PC, Steam reviews have become one of the main ways that developers receive feedback on their games. But how do developers feel about the system itself? Do Steam reviews provide a beneficial service that can help improve games? Or is it a perpetual nuisance warped by review bombing and ‘joke’ reviews that cause stress and confusion to the people who make the games we play?

To find out, I spoke to developers about their experiences with the system, asking them about their views on its advantages and disadvantages, and discussing whether there were any obvious improvements to the system that could be made. I aimed to speak either to solo developers or developers in charge of their own studios, who had direct experience reading and responding to Steam reviews with little or no moderation buffer. These ranged from the vast community and perpetual updates of Rust, to smaller, niche games.

Their responses covered topics such as common player complaints, the contentious ethics of review-bombing, and the strange case of the thousand-hour negative review. For the most part, however, the developers I spoke to believed that Steam reviews can be a useful source of feedback. “Reviews on products are great,” says Garry Newman, head of Facepunch Studios and creator of Garry’s Mod and Rust. “The advantages are obvious. You can warn people if the game is shoddy, or broke, or their sales garb is bullshit. Leaving a positive review allows consumers to reward the developer in an extra way.” They’re also aware of the systems usefulness from the user perspective. “I think it has empowered gamers,” says Bill Gardner. Formerly a level designer at Irrational Games, Gardner is currently director of TheDeepEndGames, whose debut release was last year’s horror game Perception. “It’s a great way for gamers to have their voices heard.”

perception-620x349.jpg

What comes across in conversation with all of the developers I spoke to is the seriousness with which they take feedback from their games’ communities. “At its heart the Steam review is the most raw unfiltered feedback I’m going to get,” says Phillip Bak, creator of twin-stick shooter Bezier. “It’s simultaneously both thrilling and terrifying. Paying players are not known for their courtesy and to be honest nor should they be.” Of course, this doesn’t mean that developers are boundlessly grateful and pay mind to every review that they receive. Newman in particular has come into conflict with his community over criticism in the past, such as in this post on Reddit.

Although most developers pay some mind to Steam reviews, the impact of a positive or negative review varies enormously. For a game like Rust which has a huge following, a bad review is a drop in the ocean. “We’re in a privileged position where I think we’ve got enough goodwill in the community that reviews don’t really have any effect on us,” Newman says. “We can get review bombed to death and people will still buy our games.”

The case is very different for a game like Duskers, which has a small but active fan-base that communicates frequently through Steam reviews. “Before [Steam reviews] I was beholden to Metacritic, and as you may guess, for indie games there just weren’t enough data points to get a solid review,” says Tim Keenan, creator of the inventive, claustrophobic sci-fi horror game that was one of RPS’s favourites in 2016. “Now I can create a niche game and have it reviewed by people who care about those games. When I’m developing, I can scan those reviews to get an aggregate idea of things that players are struggling with and address them.”

reviews-2-620x302.jpg

Gardner, who has experienced user feedback both as a small developer and as part of a large mainstream studio, explains that with mainstream development the sheer size of the audience makes it difficult to respond to individual concerns, which is less the case in indie development. “In AAA, you’re all but guaranteed to get your game in front of millions of eyes. As such, individual reviews are likely to get a bit more watered down simply in volume alone,” he says. “You’re only ever going to be able to understand a minuscule fraction of the people who played your game. With Perception, I feel I’ve been able to understand the people who are playing a lot better.”

While Steam reviews can be useful in this way, the developers stress that they aren’t the only important source of feedback. “I think there’s a tendency to put more weight on user reviews out of fear,” says Gardner. “While obviously there is a concrete piece of data that impacts the appeal of your product, the impulse to react to reviews rather than comments can be perilous,” Keenan agrees with this. “The only worry is that this tends to make you crazy, and want to reply to any bad review, which would be exhausting.”

Indeed, feeling the sheer weight of the internet pressing down on your game can be a stressful experience for a developer. “When anonymous players are rating your game, it’s very hard to remember that they are individual people. You can easily see them as a unified voice and paint them all with the same brush,” says Katie Goode, creative director of Triangular Pixels, who develop VR games such as Unseen Diplomacy and Smash Hit Plunder. Even if a developer is able to receive and digest the majority of reviews dispassionately, any particular review has the potential to cause considerable distress. “Any review can affect you, your team morale, your studio’s reputation and future, and your mental health deeply,” she says.

unseen-620x349.jpg

Meanwhile, not everyone finds Steam reviews so useful. “I don’t find reviews as helpful as forum discussions,” says Cliff Harris, founder of Positech games. “They are often too short, they are rewarded for being ‘funny’, and developers are told not to reply to them in most cases.” Harris is referring to users’ abilities to tag reviews left by other users as “helpful”, “not helpful” or “funny”. These tags are designed to let users filter out specific kinds of reviews, but they can also incentivise users to write reviews that prioritise being “funny” rather than being “helpful”.

Harris puts the unhelpful nature of Steam reviews down to the small percentage of players who actually leave reviews. “Hardly anybody leaves reviews, about 1%, so you get the ultra angry, or the ultra time-rich, who do not represent the majority of gamers. Unless 5-10% of players are ranking something, you aren’t going to get a realistic appraisal of a game.”

Indeed, one of the quirks of Steam reviews that nearly all developers find baffling, is reviewers who play the game in question for hundreds, sometimes thousands of hours, and then leave a negative review. “NOBODY is so cash-poor and time-rich that 100 hours of entertainment for $20 is a bad deal. It just looks totally silly,” says Harris. Newman agrees. “You gave us $20 and we entertained you for over 1000 hours. What else do we have to do?” Bak, however, thinks there may be more value to these reviews than is initially apparent. “Those reviews are often the most interesting, and I think a player who has sunk that much time might have a lot of valuable stuff to say. Often the thumbs-down rants give me more reasons to purchase a game than the positive reviews.”

reviews1-620x355.jpg

Negative reviews with a ridiculously long playtime aren’t the only type of review that cause developers to raise their eyebrows. Gardner, for example, is troubled by reviews that have very short playtimes. “One thing that really doesn’t sit well with me is that reviews with so little playtime on record are given the same weight as someone who has finished the game,” he says. “Perhaps if there were separate pools of reviews where there is a minimum required time played to enter a pool A vs pool B, where people have only sampled.”

Another contentious issue is review-bombing, where users will collectively review a game negatively on account of some perceived slight. This could be a change to the game that a section of the community dislikes, but it can also have nothing to do with the game whatsoever. A controversial business decision by a publisher, or a statement made by the developer which the community disagrees with, can both lead to games taking a critical beating on Steam.

“It’s terrible how users can use reviews to bomb negative feedback on what could be an unrelated issue,” says Goode, “Buying the game, writing a ‘review’ laying into the developer, then refunding it… it’s a problem for everyone – obviously for developers, for Valve who seem to enable rage-filled, immature hate, and for the players who are just trying to see if they may like a game for what it is at that current time.”

reviews3-620x325.jpg

Gardner agrees with this. “When gamers use reviews as a tool to make a statement it can be pretty frustrating and kind of defeats the entire purpose of reviews altogether. To be clear, I am all for gamers speaking up and making their voices heard. I just think there are ways to do that aside from poisoning reviews.”

But shouldn’t it be up to the users to decide what is important when it comes to making or informing others about a purchase? If, for example, a developer revealed themselves to be racist, that’s an issue that many players would want to know about before they supported the developer with their money. “This is absolutely a fair point,” Gardner says when I raise the issue. “I’d never want to tell people how to use their voice. I personally feel that this is not the right avenue for this type of thing simply because it’s unclear where this sort of protest review stops… We have so many places to set the record straight with social media. However, reviews have their own purpose. They’re there to be an assessment of the work.”

General player tastes and prejudices can also be a problem for developers on Steam. One issue that players frequently bring up is game length, particularly with games that are shorter than average. “We did a late, short early access period and suffered largely from Steam players’ attitude towards short games,” says Jordan Thomas, co-founder of Question! and developer of The Magic Circle. “I can’t really fault the review system itself, the players would mention TMC’s short length even in positive reviews. They thought it was worth ‘warning’ people about.” Gardener has experienced similar problems with his game, Perception. “We see very conflicting feedback. The game is about 4 hours for most people. I think the majority have found it to be a good value, especially considering the games that share some overlap. But there are always going to be a lot of people who expect a minimum of 12-15 hours for a single player game.”

For some developers, it can be tough putting their game on Steam and watching the resulting tsunami of criticism pour in. But it’s important to note that, unlike with critical reviews where analysis and opinion is generally set in stone, with Steam reviews developers can act to alter the tide. In fact, Valve recently split Steam reviews into two categories, prioritising the most recently written reviews to highlight any changes made to the game.

reviews4-620x320.jpg

“The dynamic score does work!” says Goode. “In this age of rapid patching and updates, the weighting to newer reviews keeps users and developers informed of the current state of the game, rather than the state it launched with.”

Cliff Harris, however, is less enthusiastic about the flexible nature of Steam ratings. “Pretty much any change to an established system is going to knock your review score down,” he says. “If you make a change that 90% of people prefer, they won’t react in any way to it, but the 10% who preferred the old system will leave negative reviews in a disproportionate amount. Basically changing anything to an existing game can be risky.”

Positive apathy seems to be a general concern amongst developers, this notion that happy players remain quiet while dissatisfied players shout the loudest. But Newman believes there is a way to combat this phenomenon – talk about it. “A while back we were getting reviewed negatively for some changes we made to the game (whatever we do, we get a subsection of players that aren’t happy). We mentioned this in our blog and our reviews went positive for a couple of days,” he says. “This worked because the huge majority of people that are enjoying the game didn’t review it, so they decided to help fight against the negativity by giving us a positive review.”

Is there anything that can be done to further improve Steam reviews? Aside from combating the issues already mentioned, the main thing developers want to see is more people using the system. “Incentivise them!” says Harris. “The text for ‘leave review’ is like an afterthought. Anybody who has played > 2 hours of a game should get a little pop-up, like the screenshot uploader suggesting they give it a thumbs up or down, at the very least,” Bak concurs with the notion of incentivising players to leave reviews. “Awards for the best reviews (Developer spotlight on their favourites). 1% off your next game when you review the last one you bought.”

rust-620x344.jpg

Crucially though, developers want to see players using the system properly, leaving reviews that explain why they liked and didn’t like the game. They don’t particularly want “joke” reviews that offer no information, and they certainly don’t want their Steam reviews used as a platform for a more general grievance. “Ultimately there needs to be another way of allowing users to voice their discontent, rather than review-bombing,” says Goode. “Users should also have their reviews checked by a bot – have to be a minimum length, consisting of words that actually make sense. If a person is going to publish a review that can affect someone on a personal level, it’s only fair that they have to put in a minimum amount of effort.”

Lastly, Harris also urges users to remember that, when they leave a review, at the other end is a person who will probably read it. “People reviewing games need to remember that virtually no developer is actually greedy or evil, or incompetent,” he says. “There are real humans, probably stressed, tired, worried, and hugely emotionally invested, who will read what you write about what is likely the last two years of their life.”

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Indeed, one of the quirks of Steam reviews that nearly all developers find baffling, is reviewers who play the game in question for hundreds, sometimes thousands of hours, and then leave a negative review. “NOBODY is so cash-poor and time-rich that 100 hours of entertainment for $20 is a bad deal. It just looks totally silly,” says Harris. Newman agrees. “You gave us $20 and we entertained you for over 1000 hours. What else do we have to do?” Bak, however, thinks there may be more value to these reviews than is initially apparent. “Those reviews are often the most interesting, and I think a player who has sunk that much time might have a lot of valuable stuff to say. Often the thumbs-down rants give me more reasons to purchase a game than the positive reviews.”

I'll admit that I have reviewed a game on Steam where I have sunk 200+ hours into it, and yet left a negative review.

My reasoning was this: It's a small online multiplayer game that's still in Early Access, meaning there's still work left to be done. And like pretty much every online multiplayer game, it has asshats coming out of the woodworks, but there are no in-game tools available to control or dispose of them. No vote-kicking or banning is possible. This singular reason is slowly bleeding the game of its playerbase, I'd say by about 50% since I started playing, and that's before we get to the dozen or so other problems that plague this game. What are the devs doing about it? Once they finished adding content, they immediately got to work on... controller integration, with the idea of porting the game to consoles.

As the forums were riddled with spam, I left the negative review as a warning to the developer, as a means of telling him that his priorities were wrong and there are serious issues with his game that need to be addressed before he should even consider a console release. That was months ago. Obviously nothing has changed, except that I've learned that the Steam Review System is a pile of reeking crap.

Ocelot

Learned
Games can also change over time, like TF2 adding hats and microtransactions, which ruined the game for many.

Valve literally downgraded the game's looks to make it more suitable for cosmetic-wearing characters. But what ruined the game for me was that 99% of the end-game discussions were about these ugly hats, the components, the keys, the chests the markets etc. Because Valve very rarely updates the game with new content.

Other games (e.g: overwatch) drown their characters in cosmetics, too, but at least they deliver actual content updates and players are more interested in the actual game than character skins.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Other games (e.g: overwatch) drown their characters in cosmetics, too, but at least they deliver actual content updates and players are more interested in the actual game than character skins.

Except Overwatch is also bleeding players because the only content that has been added to the game since launch enforces chokepoint control. Everything else is secondary.

Thane Solus

Arcane

I'll admit that I have reviewed a game on Steam where I have sunk 200+ hours into it, and yet left a negative review.

My reasoning was this: It's a small online multiplayer game that's still in Early Access, meaning there's still work left to be done. And like pretty much every online multiplayer game, it has asshats coming out of the woodworks, but there are no in-game tools available to control or dispose of them. No vote-kicking or banning is possible. This singular reason is slowly bleeding the game of its playerbase, I'd say by about 50% since I started playing, and that's before we get to the dozen or so other problems that plague this game. What are the devs doing about it? Once they finished adding content, they immediately got to work on... controller integration, with the idea of porting the game to consoles.

As the forums were riddled with spam, I left the negative review as a warning to the developer, as a means of telling him that his priorities were wrong and there are serious issues with his game that need to be addressed before he should even consider a console release. That was months ago. Obviously nothing has changed, except that I've learned that the Steam Review System is a pile of reeking crap.

Reviews are great for any site, but Valve beeing Google 2.0, screws just about every feature that it releases, with a few exceptions.

Making only the steam reviews counting towards the final score and probably internal algorithm, its probably one of the biggest scumbaggery moves from Valve. You have fans that bought the game for your site? Fuck you! You had kickstarter or early adopters, FUCK YOU! Only the inclusive cards, achievement hunters matter, that usually wait for game to cost 2 cents before buying anyway...but buy triple A garbage for 60 Euros.

Developers, start promoting your sites and sell from there, and make steam second or third type store.

100-1000 hours negative can happen, i actually did some, because:

1) Half of the first part of the game is great, the other half is broken towards the end game
2) They changed their game design direction during the last months, years, to cater to a retarded multiplayer audience, when at start, the single player community was their audience.
3) They destroyed the game with micro transactions
4) They haven't fixed the game, they only made it worse.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Making only the steam reviews counting towards the final score and probably internal algorithm, its probably one of the biggest scumbaggery moves from Valve. You have fans that bought the game for your site? Fuck you! You had kickstarter or early adopters, FUCK YOU! Only the inclusive cards, achievement hunters matter, that usually wait for game to cost 2 cents before buying anyway...but buy triple A garbage for 60 Euros.
How else are they supposed to track the data and prevent manipulation? It's their data. They know it's real and it's most pertinent to their platform. It's perfectly fair for Steam to put their platform and users first.

It's not like a tiny minority of people buy the game on Steam either.

Not that I want Steam to become Google as you said, but get a more valid criticism.

"You gave us $20 and we entertained you for over 1000 hours. What else do we have to do?"
Maybe move off this "addict players with mindless repetitive tasks" model that compels people to waste their time and leaves a bad taste in their mouths afterward? Focus on delivering a quality product that satisfies instead of just using gimmicks like trash mobs or resource gathering.

That's usually the kind of game you see a review like that for. Games like Elite: Dangerous, for example.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thane Solus

Arcane
Making only the steam reviews counting towards the final score and probably internal algorithm, its probably one of the biggest scumbaggery moves from Valve. You have fans that bought the game for your site? Fuck you! You had kickstarter or early adopters, FUCK YOU! Only the inclusive cards, achievement hunters matter, that usually wait for game to cost 2 cents before buying anyway...but buy triple A garbage for 60 Euros
How else are they supposed to track the data and prevent manipulation? It's their data. They know it's real and it's most pertinent to their platform. It's perfectly fair for Steam to put their platform and users first.

It's not like a tiny minority of people buy the game on Steam either.

Not that I want Steam to become Google as you said, but get a more valid criticism..

Mate, you can buy steam reviews, if you really want, just like if you want to buy any reviews on any site. So it mostly hurt the developers, but yes its positive for Valve, now they get even more income :))) They actually had a system in place to build on, to prevent some of free keys review or what not. But why bother?! Just banned it!

Meanwhile, not everyone finds Steam reviews so useful. “I don’t find reviews as helpful as forum discussions,” says Cliff Harris, founder of Positech games. “They are often too short, they are rewarded for being ‘funny’, and developers are told not to reply to them in most cases.” Harris is referring to users’ abilities to tag reviews left by other users as “helpful”, “not helpful” or “funny”. These tags are designed to let users filter out specific kinds of reviews, but they can also incentivise users to write reviews that prioritise being “funny” rather than being “helpful”.

That's a good thing. Before the "funny" tag, funny reviews would be flagged as "useful" with a thumbs-up. Sometimes it was hard to find actual reviews since the meme ones were always on top with the most votes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom