Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

PanteraNera

Arcane
We can get hyped without your recommendation, thank you very much
:martini:
I rather get over-hyped.

Unfortunately no news when their new game gets revealed,
but everything seems to go very well for them and some
exciting things Jan couldn't tell me about :)

*sigh* if only people did research before they talk about stuff they don't know shit about.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-06-firaxis-xcom-is-a-very-very-big-budget-game:

2K pumped all the money and resources needed to make its XCOM remake a triple-A, multiplatform release, developer Firaxis has said.​

Yeah, we already went over this. It's not a game that had AAA money dumped into it. That isn't a bad thing either. You seem to be missing the context of that whole interview, he was asked if the game was a XBOX Live budget title; what follows after that is him ensuring the interviewer that it is in fact a full release title. He also says in that interview that it cost as much as any other title Firaxis makes. Unless you think their other titles up to that point cost what AAA game did, it's not one either. But what are we calling a AAA budget? I'd low end it at $20 million. You think XCOM cost $20 million to develop? I'd be surprised if it cost around or above the $10 million something The Witcher 2 cost.

You did notice one of those random quotes about XCOM's graphics starts by saying how it's not the most visually stunning of games? But I do find it funny there are people out there that think the thing Firaxis did well was the graphical style and presentation. The game looks worse than Metal Gear Solid 3 and Def Jam Fight for NY; Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker has better looking faces than XCOM 2 has, and Peace Walker was made for the PSP. All those quotes really tell me is their minds would be blown if they actually saw a game in this style that really does have a high level of presentation. Jesus, the first random quote you posted brings up that games shitty create-a-character as a positive. What was it in XCOM, like seven pre-made faces? That aspect of the game was so lackluster it may as well not even have been there.

I do like how one of your quotes is about how the person is looking for any game like XCOM. That sure runs counter to what some in here are saying about XCOM fans only wanting XCOM, and even trying to go after them as an audience is something that doesn't make any sense. If only the people saying that would do the research before talking.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Yeah, we already went over this. It's not a game that had AAA money dumped into it. That isn't a bad thing either. You seem to be missing the context of that whole interview, he was asked if the game was a XBOX Live budget title; what follows after that is him ensuring the interviewer that it is in fact a full release title. He also says in that interview that it cost as much as any other title Firaxis makes. Unless you think their other titles up to that point cost what AAA game did, it's not one either. But what are we calling a AAA budget? I'd low end it at $20 million. You think XCOM cost $20 million to develop? I'd be surprised if it cost around or above the $10 million something The Witcher 2 cost.
Well the interview also stated that 50-60 people worked on it for 3 1/2 to 4 years, also VO. Do the math.
Its save to assume that Firaxis had a way way way higher budget than PP, that is all I am saying.
Not going to argue or discuss about what is AAA and what not.

You did notice one of those random quotes about XCOM's graphics starts by saying how it's not the most visually stunning of games? But I do find it funny there are people out there that think the thing Firaxis did well was the graphical style and presentation. The game looks worse than Metal Gear Solid 3 and Def Jam Fight for NY; Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker has better looking faces than XCOM 2 has, and Peace Walker was made for the PSP. All those quotes really tell me is their minds would be blown if they actually saw a game in this style that really does have a high level of presentation. Jesus, the first random quote you posted brings up that games shitty create-a-character as a positive. What was it in XCOM, like seven pre-made faces? That aspect of the game was so lackluster it may as well not even have been there.
In my eyes you are comparing apples with bananas here.
I do not care about graphics, so I am the wrong person to talk about that.
What other TBS game had better graphics in 2012 than XCOM?

I do like how one of your quotes is about how the person is looking for any game like XCOM. That sure runs counter to what some in here are saying about XCOM fans only wanting XCOM, and even trying to go after them as an audience is something that doesn't make any sense. If only the people saying that would do the research before talking.
If you had followed my postings in this very thread, you would know that my opinion is that most NuXCOM players will not like PP, because of lacking/missing VO, and lacking cinematic feel. Probably calling PP a cheap rip off.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
They want to release in Q4 2018?
You must not be in game development to know that this just is not gonna happen.

If that to happen, they should've had a vertical slice to show instead a scripted combat demo and even in that scenario it would've been a close call with all the bug fixing and polishing needed if they want to also present themselves to the xcom crowd.
And the more the development will drag out, the more money hungry will be which will maybe translate in a rushed game launched on a prayer.

For the portrayed game Gollop wants to make and to keep his promises that were worded during livestreams, 1 000 000 USD to develop is simply not enough, even if the game is developed on the fringes of western civilization.
I'll say it and say it again, anyone who thinks a game like that can be made with that much money in a reasonable time and with a modicum of quality and promised scope, you are deluded beyond relief.

If I were them, I would try to find an investor as soon as possible.
An investor that would appreciate the more simulationist approach.

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
They want to release in Q4 2018?
You must not be in game development to know that this just is not gonna happen.

https://phoenixpoint.info/faq/
official FAQ said:
+ When will Phoenix Point be available?
We plan on a release in Q4 of 2018. Those who backed during our crowd-funding campaign or who pre-ordered, at the Luxury Digital Edition or higher will receive access to a special pre-alpha build around Q1 of 2018.

As always with game development, these delivery dates are estimates and should only be used as a guide. We will make every effort to deliver by these dates.

*edit* they are aiming for Q4 2018 ever since their fig campaign
*edit2* also they tried to find a publisher before going to fig, but didn't got a deal

Mustawd

Yah, that’s likely a stale date. The recent video basically talks about how there are still some bugs in the demo build and that they’re about a year from development.

PanteraNera

Arcane
official discord said:
UnstableVoltage-23.01.2018
I think what Julian was trying to say is that we plan to launch in Q4 2018, but there may be Early Access before then

facebook page said:
Chayagorn Subpermsatian is the game still in pre-alpha? Mind to hint us a release ETA?
1f642.png

Phoenix Point
Release is planned for Q4 2018.
07.03.2018https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixPoi...=579818095731768&comment_tracking={"tn":"R9"}
https://www.facebook.com/PhoenixPoi...=579818095731768&comment_tracking={"tn":"R9"}

Last edited:

PanteraNera

Arcane
I just edited the message above, on 7th of march 2018 Unstable Voltage said on facebook Q4 2018 (that is exactly a week ago).

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The big problem is that we're debating about nothing, pratically. Let's look at the facts: some (almost broken?) promises, few mockup screenshots and a demo that would like to be something more, and should be, but actually is just a nuXCOM ripoff. So, what we should think about 9 months from release?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Like whom?
The whole reason for all this KS stuff was publishers not caring about simulationism.
Publishers are usually much more sympathetic to chasing the next (actually, the last...) big thing, so it should be easier to pitch a lovecraftian NuXCOM than a niche modernized X-COM.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Like whom?
The whole reason for all this KS stuff was publishers not caring about simulationism.
Publishers are usually much more sympathetic to chasing the next (actually, the last...) big thing, so it should be easier to pitch a lovecraftian NuXCOM than a niche modernized X-COM.

Irata

Scholar
Than the whole X-Com spiritual-successor thing, in interviews, on their official site, on the pitch you just posted on page 76, it sounded all very differently to XCOM 2 Julian Gollop Edition.

Has any major "old school" developer who used crowdfunding ever made a game that really was? The problem with "old school" developers is they're old. They've got other problems now that they didn't have before. You can be a starving artist in your 20's, but not when you've got 2 kids, a house note and bills to pay. I'm still interested in this though. He did release Chaos Reborn which was basically the old game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Yah, that’s likely a stale date. The recent video basically talks about how there are still some bugs in the demo build and that they’re about a year from development.

in fact its 'over a year left of development'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom