Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Ghost of a Tale Released

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wouldn't call this an action game or an RPG, this is pretty much a pure stealth game in the classic avoid the guards style, really not much else to it.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
okay played half an hour. #1 this is a beautiful game, the one man dev makes pretty much every one man dev team ever look ridiculously untalented with how good his art is. Especially the fact it's 3D art and not a retro pixel art style that looks great but is relatively simple to pull off from a technical standpoints.

This art is actually beautiful, there are AAA games by 50 man studios that look significantly worse than this game.

The stealth mechanics are also properly challenging, this is definitely an RPG Codex special in how difficult it is to avoid guards, none of this mainstream AAA developer level simplicity to ghost these guards.

Codex will absolutely love this game but it's not an RPG at all.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
#1 this is a beautiful game, the one man dev makes pretty much every one man dev team ever look ridiculously untalented with how good his art is.

IIRC the guy is an artist first and a dev second.

This art is actually beautiful

Yep.

Mark Richard

Arcane
The stealth mechanics are also properly challenging, this is definitely an RPG Codex special in how difficult it is to avoid guards, none of this mainstream AAA developer level simplicity to ghost these guards.
I would've expected a way to neutralise individual guards permanently as the game's stealth facade deflates the moment it could pose an inconvenience (i.e. challenge) to the player, but it turns out that's not the case. Another surprise was the day & night cycle. Really enjoying it so far.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
IIRC the guy is an artist first and a dev second.

Yup, he has worked on high profile animation movies, like, The Prince of Egypt, The Road to El Dorado and Despicable Me. Most likely he learned how to program as he worked on this game.

As for the game itself, it's pretty much pure incline. It has some stuttering here and there and I really wish they could be ironed out, but the gameplay and level design is superb. This is truly a labor of love.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It has some stuttering here and there and I really wish they could be ironed out

Played a bit to get out of prison just a moment ago - I found that it helps the stuttering to take "LoD quality" (whatever that even is) down to minimum.

This is truly a labor of love.

Yeah, it's always been my impression about this game too, and in fact I wish this was how the "Kickstarter craze" actually ended up...

I.e. "some guy has an idea, gets that idea funded and he just goes ahead and makes it come to life", without any bullshit or 180 degree changes in the middle of development for idiotic reasons. The current build seems virtually unchanged when it comes to gameplay compared to the last Early Access build I checked, and that was a full year ago.

I also like the way it's written. The dialogues are pretty witty, and the "footnote" deep lore dumps are very unobtrusive and very welcome. And then there are also the bits like these:

xp7X0a.jpg

dcPS5E.jpg

:salute:

And of course there are all the details like the day/night cycle, the relative "hardcore" aspect of the gameplay (resource management, no permanent guard removal, etc) and the "secrets". All of it stuck out to me hella in EA already, which was why I dropped it relatively fast so as to not spoilerino too much, can't wait to play this moar now that it's fully done.

can not believe one guy programmed this. I have only seen the trailer and screenshots but its really unbelievable. I don't usually care that much about graphics, but I might get this game just to walk around in with my little mouse, its crazy one dude programmed all the art and movement etc..

Jinn

Arcane
I must say that I am very impressed with my first couple hours of play. Level design seems top notch so far, inventory and armor is handled excellently, the stat system aimed more towards pure stealth is refreshing, atmospherically and aesthetically it's absolutely beautiful, dialogues are fun, and there seems to be a fair amount of choice and consequence in a more environmental way. Stealth could be more challenging, but when there aren't really combat options I understand why it is as powerful as it is. These are all first impressions that lead me to believe I'm going to enjoy this whole game very much.

Mustawd

From the vids I've watched the game just seems overall "charming".

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, it's always been my impression about this game too, and in fact I wish this was how the "Kickstarter craze" actually ended up...

I.e. "some guy has an idea, gets that idea funded and he just goes ahead and makes it come to life", without any bullshit or 180 degree changes in the middle of development for idiotic reasons. The current build seems virtually unchanged when it comes to gameplay compared to the last Early Access build I checked, and that was a full year ago.

Yeah, so far looks like a rare example of Kickstarted development done right. Reminds me of Hollow Knight in that, and also the level of quality being quite insane for such a small team.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
I mean this game was funded for about 50k and spent 2 and bit years in early access for a total development time of more than 5 years. It's less doing it right more well this guy went Stardew valley bedroom savant and came out with a game that isn't a hot mess like 99% of the bedroom savants who clog up steam

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom