Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Citation needed? To prove priest's helpfulness? Wow, did not see this coming.

Okay, some examples:
Devotions for the Faithful: Friendly AoE: +4 Might, +20 / Foe AoE: -10 Might, -20 .
+20 Accuracy / -20 enemy accuracy and heavy Might debuff? I would probably keep Durance if that was the only spell he knew. Also in late levels it can become per encounter...

Crowns for the Faithful: Friendly AoE: +6 Perception, +6 Intellect, +25 Resolve
Okay so now everybody can be a tank and have the mental fortitude of a monk. Also be more accurate and have wider reaching, longer lasting abilities.

Dire Blessing: 20% Hit to Crit conversion

Holy Meditation: Friendly AoE: +30 Concentration, +15 Will: Due to this simple level 1 buff you can dump Resolve to 3 without regret, even on (off)tanks. You'll rarely get interrupted and your Will saves will be passable also. Though there are also gloves which proc this when hit by a crit.

Painfull Interdiction: If you upgrade this per encounter ability, it will Weaken enemies in a huge aoe. Meaning -20 Fortitude, -20 Will, as well as -2 Might, Con and speed.

Just the combo of Devotions and Painfull Interdiction will raise the chance to hit of your characters, who can target Fort (Barb with Brute Force!) or Will, by 48 or 40, respectively!

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
dont forget Priest per-enc healing plus ACC buff class ability

i remember clearing lots of White March encounters by just spamming (via shift queueing) that one Priest spell that shines down light and fire on enemies in a huge FOE only area.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
sure but that aint really my point: im not saying a Priest class is literally mandatory as in you cant finish the game without them... only that (the decision to always reserve a slot for that class) is obviously optimal (or simply too good).

But I dispute that, at least the "obviously" part. I honestly can't say if it's easier to play with a priest than without one.
A high or max-level Priest can make the game easy, even on PotD. With buffs/items, you can reach 40+ might. If you cast Avatar > Crowns of the Faithful > Holy Storrn > Shining Beacon (it can or could stack) > Soul of the Righteous, you melt the face off most encounters. On single or boss enemies, you can use Shining Beacon or Envenomed Strike in conjunction with Cleansing Flame to speed up the DoT damage. The other bullshit part is that I recall some enemies being interrupted by Holy Storm and Shining Beacon and were effectively stun/interrupt locked the entire fight. On PotD, the rest of my party were just meat shields, and the only fights that gave me trouble were the Hivemind Spore and the Twin Dragon/Mage fight.

This is in addition to revives, heals, and immunities. Hence, I think PoE2 is heading in a better direction with respect to cutting Priests down a peg. I still plan to main one, especially for the Eothas fluff.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I remember Spark the Souls of the Righteous lightning shields around whole party doing good damage over time and I think also interrupting.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I remember Spark the Souls of the Righteous lightning shields around whole party doing good damage over time and I think also interrupting.
That may have been the spell causing the interrupt. It's hard to tell when all the spells are going off at once.

Priest is why I am not 100% certain casters will be terrible in PoE2. Some classes start out average and then turn into Dr. Manhattan in the late game.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Well, it's only fair that no-fun sawyer has fun on twitter while delaying no-fun deadfire.
It's experiential marketing pushed one step further.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's called "knowing your enemy", "adapting to the situation", and "being rewarded for knowing the game systems". Something PoE1, for instance, was missing (although I did change weapons for Ogres, but that was the only case IIRC). Of course some challenges need to be forcing, otherwise we default to a game where everything works, ie a game for the braindead.

You can say the same things for pre-buffing, you are just "rewarded for knowing the game systems", but it's a retarded and brainless activity. PoE actually DID incentivize the swapping of weapons in a good way, the only RPG to ever do so and did reward you for knowing the systems and using them to your advantage.

Because I want to play a rogue knight, it's nothing that fancy really. He's heavily armored and wields a huge sword, but he fights like a dick and aims for the crotch.

Sure, but it's not actually supported, you are doing it because you can. You are trying to force the class design to conform to your wishes and it bursts at the seams when doing so. It's just not a good implementation of what you want, as opposed to, say, 3E.
Are you on drugs? In BG1 and BG2 swapping weapons is often rewarded. In Bg1 oozes, skeletons, golems and such forced you to swap weapons.
And in BG2 you really wanted to swap from your best magical weapon to your most common non magical one when fighting mages and hoping to hit them through their immunity to magical weapons protections.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
In Bg1 oozes, skeletons, golems and such forced you to swap weapons.
Meeeh, I don't know. Skeletons had such a low HP pool that I just whack them with swords and arrows, out of laziness. Oozes as well. Now golems, I don't even remember where one can find golems in BG, maybe Durlag's Tower ?
Overall, BG wasn't on the same level as BG2 in regard of counters and specific tactics. Typical Bless/Haste was often enough to dispose of the enemies.
But in BG2, yeah you're right. Also, I suspect Lacrymas was talking about weapon type - as in the difference between daggers and rapiers etc - rather than damage type. Might be wrong.

Tygrende

Arbiter
So I've been looking at the wiki to figure out what kind of build I'm going to make when Deadfire is out. I was thinking about a gun juggler and noticed that island aumaua will no longer a bonus weapon slot, instead there will be a fighter subclass that gets a bonus weapon slot and less recovery time when switching weapons. Not only that, supposedly both quick switch and arms bearer will be fighter abilites. Does that mean only fighters will be able to take those?

This looks really weird to me. This would make fighters the only class/multiclass that can be made into a competent gun juggler, but fighters in first PoE were all about tanking in melee combat and had very little synergy with ranged weapons.

Ulfhednar

Savant
So I've been looking at the wiki to figure out what kind of build I'm going to make when Deadfire is out. I was thinking about a gun juggler and noticed that island aumaua will no longer a bonus weapon slot, instead there will be a fighter subclass that gets a bonus weapon slot and less recovery time when switching weapons. Not only that, supposedly both quick switch and arms bearer will be fighter abilites. Does that mean only fighters will be able to take those?

This looks really weird to me. This would make fighters the only class/multiclass that can be made into a competent gun juggler, but fighters in first PoE were all about tanking in melee combat and had very little synergy with ranged weapons.
Many of the general talents from PoE1 were assigned to specific classes for beta 1, so these kind of class specific builds are there, yes. Josh has said they are incorporating general talents back in, but those changes haven't made it into the current beta build. It's not clear yet how many and which talents will be accessible to all classes in Deadfire.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, I can, I just did so. The immunities angle is cheap and doesn't reward you for gaming the system to your advantage, it's simply a once-in-a-while thing that is peppered in for flavor. PoE, however, does, especially with the on-hit abilities like on Azureith's Stiletto or Silverflash.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's called "knowing your enemy", "adapting to the situation", and "being rewarded for knowing the game systems". Something PoE1, for instance, was missing (although I did change weapons for Ogres, but that was the only case IIRC). Of course some challenges need to be forcing, otherwise we default to a game where everything works, ie a game for the braindead.

You can say the same things for pre-buffing, you are just "rewarded for knowing the game systems", but it's a retarded and brainless activity. PoE actually DID incentivize the swapping of weapons in a good way, the only RPG to ever do so and did reward you for knowing the systems and using them to your advantage.

Because I want to play a rogue knight, it's nothing that fancy really. He's heavily armored and wields a huge sword, but he fights like a dick and aims for the crotch.

Sure, but it's not actually supported, you are doing it because you can. You are trying to force the class design to conform to your wishes and it bursts at the seams when doing so. It's just not a good implementation of what you want, as opposed to, say, 3E.
Are you on drugs? In BG1 and BG2 swapping weapons is often rewarded. In Bg1 oozes, skeletons, golems and such forced you to swap weapons.
And in BG2 you really wanted to swap from your best magical weapon to your most common non magical one when fighting mages and hoping to hit them through their immunity to magical weapons protections.

None of those force you to swap because in IE games weapon type immunities don't block weapon effects, e.g. in theory you would swap weapons on all party members against clay golems, however since they are have low hp (50) and AC you just click and they die to elemental damage + that one guy you have with blunt weapons. The same holds true for PoE, even if immune to a weapon's damage type, lashes will apply.

The normal weapon stuff is cool since you can apply poison through it, but sadly a ton of spellcasters have native normal weapon immunity - the ones who don't can often just be backstabbed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom