Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Do you think RE7 and Vendetta are a soft reboot?

RE7 is a soft-reboot.

• Yes.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. The soft-reboot happened way before with RE0 and was continued through revelations.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Revelations was the soft-reboot.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Cause I think so, due to drastic tone shift, complete redesign of characters, the generally increase interms of brutality(before it was cartoon) and the complete shift in gameplay. Doesn't completely exactly fit within the definition I am posting:

"You have a classic property, one that's made money hand over fist for you for years, perhaps decades, but now, it's getting a little long in the tooth. Maybe it's dated, maybe recent installments have tarnished its name, maybe it's just bogged down in Continuity Lockout. Resetting the thing to bring in new fans sounds like a good idea, but you're afraid the backlash among existing fans to a Continuity Reboot will be epic in its drama.

What to do? Well, instead of starting over, dip into the Troper Well and pull out a way of explaining you're not really tossing away the classic stories the fans love. No, this is an Alternate Timeline. Or a sequel set sometime after the events of the old series that mentions the things fans loved but quietly neglects or RetCons the things not so beloved. Or a prequel, or even a separate adventure taking place somewhere else so you have an excuse not to mention the events of the original series.

In short, it's an in-continuity remake. A compromise between making a sequel and a remake/reboot."

but still...

Source: Tvtropes

Till now RE series followed upon itself very consistently, characters age and generally show the right progression interms of ingame models. There was a lot of camp and the violence was rather cartoony. Having watched vendetta and played RE7, I feel like it's now following RE1 remake tone which Revelations kind of followed. The new models for Chris and Leon are completely different, infact Leon's hair went from blonde to brown. So on and so forth.

I posted this in reddit and they bring up arguments like RE7 referenced prior RE and therefore not a soft-reboot etc... which still doesn't change anything.

Kind of got annoyed by their idiocy. Then I remembered how Tomb Raider reddit is filled with fans of the newer games and all the tomb raider fans were in tombraiderforums. And so... I went to RE forum, but RE forum is dead for the most part. So.. the next best thing, a forum where no can agree with anything and here I am.

Anyway, I consider RE6 to be the end of the original franchise and RE7 to be a soft-reboot. The director waved it off to avoid heat.

So here I am having another go trying to validate my own opinion.

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter
RE3 was the end of the original franchise.

:happytrollboy:

Nah, Code Veronica was the final game of the original trilogy.

The game was originally intended to be the true sequel to Resident Evil 2, and is still referred to as such by its creators. The title of "Resident Evil 3" was given to what was originally a spin-off game being developed in tandem for the PlayStation.

kalganoat

Savant
I still feel like it was originally just a vr game and capcom changed it to RE halfway through development.

Kitchen Utensil

The game was originally intended to be the true sequel to Resident Evil 2, and is still referred to as such by its creators. The title of "Resident Evil 3" was given to what was originally a spin-off game being developed in tandem for the PlayStation.

Well, Code Veronica wasn't bad.

Jokzore

Arbiter
Considering it doesn't effect a damned thing, this seems like an incredibly pointless thing to ponder about.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Yes, it is. It's clearly a shift in the game formula to a different direction from RE 4,5 and 6. A lot of things from the classics returned in terms of gameplay, story and atmoshpere. There's the addition of some new things like the whole "mad family" concept, also the Saw style part from Lucas baker. There's also that photorealism of the game, very similar to Remake and Zero. Finally there's the first person perspective, which is obviously influenced by Amnesia like games and PT.

Egosphere

Arcane
RE is a weird series anyway. 0,1-3, CV are your old school survival horrors, 4 is horror-lite tps, 5 & 6 are action. 7 feels like they half the team wanted to continue down the action route ( first person shooter mechanics ) whilst the other tugged it back into the old school direction by giving you a big 'mansion', a bunch of keys to find, progressively unlocking new areas of the map etc. Nostalgia aside, I think 7 is shaky in parts but holds its own when compared to RE1. We'll see if RE8 is the same incline as Re2 was.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Considering it doesn't effect a damned thing, this seems like an incredibly pointless thing to ponder about.
It affects the perception of characters and it affects my sense of closure. And those things are important.

RE is a weird series anyway. 0,1-3, CV are your old school survival horrors, 4 is horror-lite tps, 5 & 6 are action. 7 feels like they half the team wanted to continue down the action route ( first person shooter mechanics ) whilst the other tugged it back into the old school direction by giving you a big 'mansion', a bunch of keys to find, progressively unlocking new areas of the map etc. Nostalgia aside, I think 7 is shaky in parts but holds its own when compared to RE1. We'll see if RE8 is the same incline as Re2 was.
The changes from 1-CV to 4-6 were mostly interms of gameplay. The tone, the characters and the rest stayed pretty consistent. RE7 completely redoes everyone and everything, just cause it keeps the lore doesn't make it a sequel, it is certainly a soft-reboot.

I don't mind, RE6 was awesome and it was a good enough ending for me. But, RE7 certainly isn't a mainline follow-up. It was still great, there were a lot of call-backs to great moments from the franchise so far.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane

Well, Code Veronica wasn't bad.
It's my favorite. And then RE4 and killed the series with it.

Kitchen Utensil

It's been a while since I last played it. If I remember correctly it was a bit too long, a bit too much on the action-side already, had some really tedious parts and was the first one I played which deviated from the strictly pre-rendered background graphics. But it grew on me over time, unlike 4 and everything thereafter.

Viata

Arcane
I have played only the Dreamcast version and I know that there are more action cutscenes in the PS2 version. But well, RE3 was already more action focused than the early games, anyway. I enjoyed the puzzles in RE series, which was one of the reason I don't like 4, 5 and 6. Have not played 7, though.

Kitchen Utensil

Not looking forward to the RE2 remake btw.
There's no way this will live up to the original or REmake or even have fixed cam angles for that matter.

:negative:

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
I have played only the Dreamcast version and I know that there are more action cutscenes in the PS2 version. But well, RE3 was already more action focused than the early games, anyway. I enjoyed the puzzles in RE series, which was one of the reason I don't like 4, 5 and 6. Have not played 7, though.
It's pretty good interms of puzzles and riddles, there are a few secrets to find which are cool.

Viata

Arcane
It's pretty good interms of puzzles and riddles, there are a few secrets to find which are cool.
Sadly, because of the first trailers, but I just see another Outlast/SOMA with Resident Evil name stamped on it to help sales. And I really hate Outlast/SOMA kind of survival horror games. I hope I'm wrong here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom