Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Devil May Cry HD Collection

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Guess what - another quality port from japs.
Game speed it tied to FPS and there is no FPS cap whatsoever. I's so fkng fast you can go to the next room and enemy spawn don't trigger sometimes.
Game starts in JAP language by default.

Ya better go play PS2 emu if you want this game badly.

Martius

Liturgist
Strange, my copy had English language enabled by default. FPS were capped at 60 (I guess game may freak out with monitors offering higher refresh rate than 60hz?). Everything works fine, at least in first missions of each game. So far I have just two complaints - resolution of intro is very low (i guess its pre rendered, in game cut-scenes looks much better) and calling options bare-bones would be compliment. There is not much to change beyond resolution, vibration or brightness settings.

kalganoat

Savant
Minimum effort 'hd' collection. DMC3 is missing some effects from the original version. It's a problem when this collection was released on last gen. They still haven't fixed it 6 years later.

sullynathan

Arcane
it's crazy to me how so many modern reviewers rate the DmC reboot so highly and still talk about it to this point. They literally don't see the disconnect between themselves and the fans of this series.

it's crazy to me how so many modern reviewers rate the DmC reboot so highly and still talk about it to this point. They literally don't see the disconnect between themselves and the fans of this series.

DmC was one of those weird games where a bunch of people working for video game sites picked that as the place to get into a battle with their audience, there's no way in hell that game wasn't getting good reviews. It was probably the first Devil May Cry where they could do shit in it too.

kalganoat

Savant
Yep same thing is happening with the new God of War. It has a SCRIPT now so you know it's a mature game for adults journos.

Mikeal

Arcane
I quite don't get specs of this game. On my computer I can play in DMC3, DMC4 and DMC4:SE but the shittiest looking DMC HD won't run because my graphic card is to weak. Where's the logic?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I got it and just finished DMC 1. I've never played the series before. The story is idiotic. The gameplay was fun, though. Very reminiscent of "Darksiders," although definitely its pre-cursor as it's a bit more rough around the edges. The Resident Evil style fixed cameras take some getting used to, though. Has a surprising amount of puzzles, some of which are actually hard (nothing that would qualify it as an adventure game, but there are a few points where you have to read clues and figure out to do which stumped me). The game is similar to Resident Evil, in that it doesn't really hold your hand over what to do next. So you just have to either pay attention to the clues, or wander around until you find what to do.

What sucks is I bought it to play on my laptop, thinking it's old enough to run well on a 940. However, from what I can gather, the game's FPS seem to be locked at 60. So if your machine is too shitty to run it (and my laptop was), the game will just run in slow motion, rather than running at fewer frames per second. It made it unplayable on my laptop. It runs perfectly on my 1070, but a game with PS2 graphics should not require a 1070 to run well.

As a warning, they are pretty shitty ports. The gameplay, interfaces, and graphics are not changed at all (except for the graphics allowing higher resolutions). The videos were not in anyway remastered, so they run in 1.33:1 aspect ratio and are super low quality. There's even an old timey TV calibration tool that came with the original. Zero graphics options (other than an anti-aliasing on/off toggle). You can't even turn the music off. They work fine, though.

Ash

Arcane
The gameplay was fun, though. Very reminiscent of "Darksiders," although definitely its pre-cursor as it's a bit more rough around the edges.

Good post except this bit. Dullsiders meh. DMC is the original for these types of fast-paced hack and slashers, and it, DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden (2003) are surely the best.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
What do people think of DMC 2? I started it. It's really boring so far. Massive open levels with nothing in them. Tons of trash mob type monsters. The combat is simplified from DMC 1.

I'm an OCD autist about playing sequels in order, though, so I feel like I have to play it.

Okagron

Prophet
What do people think of DMC 2? I started it. It's really boring so far. Massive open levels with nothing in them. Tons of trash mob type monsters. The combat is simplified from DMC 1.

I'm an OCD autist about playing sequels in order, though, so I feel like I have to play it.
Haven't played it myself, but i know it's one of the most disliked games in the series.

Martius

Liturgist
Yeah, if you do not like DMC2 right away it wont get any better later. Second character does not really help since Lucia plays just like Dante. Unless DMC5 will be 2 prequel or sequel I would not touch it with ten foot pole.

Definitely high effort port. They couldn't even be bothered to include anisotropic filtering, had to enable it from gpu to actually see textures in proper detail.

Last edited:
Pretty much a golden rule: Westerners can't into making character action games.

Darksiders 1 was okay though, but mostly for being somewhat Zelda-ish in its structure.

Also thumbs up for pimping RE6 there. I wish they made a more arcade-y, less cinematic follow-up using RE6 combat. Nothing comes close to it. Having more varied combo score metrics would be great as well, as it is right now, it rewards too much passive countering.

I could really go for that RE6 combat system in something, it doesn't even need to be Reaident Evil themed, that was basically just a whole bunch of Mercenaries stages. Do that, throw something like that tower defense Nightmare mode from 7, (or just a straight tower defense game) do a more fleshed out version of Agent Hunt—maybe do a couple other different modes—and you'd have a pretty good package of a game. Remember when I saw Raiders of a Broken Planet for the first time thinking: This really looks like a not as good version of the RE6 combat system, Capcom could easily do something like this way better.

Bump that melee system up a bit and that game's combat system would make for a pretty fucking great beat 'em up along the lines of Yakuza too.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

I played the first 4-5 levels of DMC2.
Why the fuck is everything so brown?
Why does the environment look so samey?
Why is the camera even shittier than DMC1 despite not having tight, narrow corridors?
Why are levels so unnecessarily big?
Why are there so many fake doors?
Why does the game automatically put me into an area when I approach a door without interacting with it?
Why does the combat feel so slow?
Why does stinger feel like shit compared to other games?
Why does Dante juggle himself on the air while shooting?
Why do enemies sometimes gather around me to get ass kicked without attacking?
WHY AM I KILLING A HELICOPTER IN A DMC GAME??? Even worse, I'm sitting here holding X like an idiot, sometimes dodge its rockets, sometimes activate Devil Trigger, no way to hit it with sword. Wow, great boss fight guys, truly the greatest achievement of mankind.
I rage quit and proceeded to play 3 hours of DMC3 afterwards, this gonna be my 8th playthrough. Fuck DMC2.

sullynathan

Arcane
yea, DMC2 is bad, The Reboot is a lot better than it. Like Juan_Carlo I played all of them like 2 years ago. I actually don't know how DMC 2 was so fucked up. The best thing to come out of the games is Dante's personality and character design.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I liked the Reboot. Its only problem is that it's a straight up, linear, beat 'em up, with no element of exploration or puzzle solving like the older games. I think its combat is good enough to be worth playing, though.

sullynathan

Arcane
I liked the Reboot. Its only problem is that it's a straight up, linear, beat 'em up, with no element of exploration or puzzle solving like the older games. I think its combat is good enough to be worth playing, though.
I haven't beat the reboot but directly coming from DMC3 & DMC4, it's a direct downgrade combat wise. DMC has the best combat of this genre, so a reboot having fun but not as good combat as it's predecessors isn't that great plus from what I played, there weren't any memorable bosses like the previous games.

Ash

Arcane

It does have platforming. Very, very shitty platforming. But it's there.

No it ain't worth playing. It's like a 5/10. There's a shitload of more worthwhile games in the ranks above it.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I somehow ended up completing both the Dante and the girl campaigns in DMC2. I did the Lucia (sp?) campaign first and hers is incredibly boring, which is what made me hate the game. Her whole campaign just seems tacked on and pointless and she doesn't play differently enough from Dante to make it seem like anything other than a reskin. I started the Dante campaign after, merely out of curiosity, and I ended up finishing it as it really wasn't as bad as the Lucia campaign. He has a bunch of extra levels, some interesting set pieces, and is way more fun.

DMC 2 is definitely massive decline from DMC 1, but both campaigns only take about 4-5 hours each and are absurdly easy (I didn't die once during the lucia campaign, and didn't die at all during Dante's campaign up until the dying 5 times in a row on the final boss). So they can be easily rushed if you are super OCD and want to play the whole series.

Ash

Arcane
I somehow ended up completing both the Dante and the girl campaigns in DMC2. I did the Lucia (sp?) campaign first and hers is incredibly boring, which is what made me hate the game. Her whole campaign just seems tacked on and pointless and she doesn't play differently enough from Dante to make it seem like anything other than a reskin. I started the Dante campaign after, merely out of curiosity, and I ended up finishing it as it really wasn't as bad as the Lucia campaign. He has a bunch of extra levels, some interesting set pieces, and is way more fun.

DMC 2 is definitely massive decline from DMC 1, but both campaigns only take about 4-5 hours each and are absurdly easy (I didn't die once during the lucia campaign, and didn't die at all during Dante's campaign up until the dying 5 times in a row on the final boss). So they can be easily rushed if you are super OCD and want to play the whole series.

Now move on to DMC 3, Ninja Gaiden and Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom