Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

That feeling when you don't have a good RPG you're currently playing or to look forward to

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That is true....until you finish all the games you are interested in. Not every old rpg is a good one.

Sticking with the games you are interested in isn't a good idea at all. There are many games you "aren't interested in" until you get around to playing them... and suddenly you love them.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That is true....until you finish all the games you are interested in. Not every old rpg is a good one.

Sticking with the games you are interested in isn't a good idea at all. There are many games you "aren't interested in" until you get around to playing them... and suddenly you love them.
Yeah i know what you mean,still years of rpg experience could make you and eagle eyed freak when it come to rpgs. I could tell the powerlevels of most games by the trailer. Just a few screenshot or a short youtube video can tell you tons about the game. It is really depressing when there is not a single game in the codex top...75 that i haven played and most of them i have finished more than once. It is really hard to find rpgs at some point.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Does anyone else get legitimately depressed when they don't have a good or at least decent RPG to look forward to playing after the day's over or whatever?

I've found over the years that the anticipation of having a game I enjoy playing can really boost my personal productivity, my mood, and my overall attitude towards life. If there's nothing that I'm currently enjoying, at least having one close to release helps, knowing I don't have to wait too long.

But if there's nothing that I want to play, and nothing that looks good coming out for months or even years into the future, I can get into a real funk. It can get bad enough that I have to force myself to go back in and try to finish some of the games I never completed, pushing through the grind of what caused me to stop playing them in the first place, such as with something like PoE or Wasteland 2.

I used to be like this. Always hankering after every new RPG.

But about 10 years ago I stopped doing that for some reason. Probably for a lot of reasons. Basically, it was when the role-playing Renaissance ended. Troika, Sir-Tech, Black Isle etc. were no more.

I became polemical in 2006, when Oblivion went gold. My anger reached its height in 2008 when Oblivion With Guns came out. My butthurt was palpable at that time; so much so, that I didn't post on forums. In fact, I could barely endure lurking.

These days, in regards to new releases, I'm pretty much uncaring in that I don't make that many trollish remarks in new release threads.

I guess new releases are just beneath contempt for me now, and it makes me happy to commentate on the original incarnations of Renaissance RPGs.

Main thing is, I'm pretty content these days just to play the oldies and leave the new stuff to the newbies, and scrubs.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't even remember that feeling anymore. Now it's supplemented by waiting for a new Gwent patch which in itself is a stupid thing thing to be doing.
I look foward to vacations and shit instead.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Bro you thinking waiting for rpg is bad? It is literally exact same shit in every conceivable genre of gaming including both single player and multiplayer except perhaps fighting games.

FPS games? OW fornite and all the casual shit is absolute dogshit. Lawbreakers has probably 1 player left playing it and nothing remotely good on the horizon.
RTS games? SC2 was probably the last one for a while.
MMORPGs? Literally the only shit to be curious about is the next WOW expension and that is fucking pathetic. The industry had 14 years.
Action rpgs? Unless you enjoy braindead gameplay of pressing same buttons like a fucking retard while hordes of enemies drop and stroke your gambling micropenis like poe, warframe... there is nothing to play. NIOH was probably the last one worth shit and that was a while ago.

Anyways im fucking done you get the point.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unsure how you can have this problem and experience the wonders of full time regular 9-5 employment.

Bit of a one or the other situation really, there are good "games" released pretty much every 3 weeks maximum that are incline even by Codex standards, as long as you branch out from the strict Dungeon and Dragons inspired Western CRPG genre

Kitchen Utensil

Codex standards are shit.

Witcher 3
PoE
DO:S 2
ELEX
KCD

Codex Year of the Donut
Unsure how you can have this problem and experience the wonders of full time regular 9-5 employment.

Bit of a one or the other situation really, there are good "games" released pretty much every 3 weeks maximum that are incline even by Codex standards, as long as you branch out from the strict Dungeon and Dragons inspired Western CRPG genre
easy
compiling.png

laclongquan

Arcane
Crispy existential crisis thread part 2.

No, I've always felt this way, even as a kid. All I'd do while sitting in class is daydream of playing whatever cool 80's CRPG I was currently working on, coming up with strategies of how to beat the next boss or how to obtain that cool suit of armor or weapon that was just out of reach.

If I didn't have that to look forward to, my grades would slip, I'd mouth off to my parents more... hell, I think I'd even be more prone to get in fights with other kids.

Not really, but the psychological effects of not looking forward to booting up some classic game and really enjoying it were real and palpable. I'll probably be the same way until the day I die.
"Getting a new hobby" is probably not a bad idea. It seems that the important thing is that you have something to look forward too. I suggest finding a hobby that you can fully enjoy on your own, so no PnP (Though it seems you're already into that) or LARPing.

Or reading.

Although not the mainstream books or such. try to crawl through the amateur stuffs, both written and translated.

For the last few years I am going through a translated works mood. I find translated stuffs that fit my requirement in the amateur community instead of reading the mainstream books. Japanese-to-English, Chinese-to-Vietnamese. Like, novels about living in a MMORPG world, or hell, living in Baldur Gate universe etc... IN the whole, it's like writings about experience in a real matrix-like world, SF or fantasy.

It is interesting to note the difference in points of importance between Japanese authors and Chinese ones.

And before you sneer about amateur authors, it's about very tiny number of authors that fit YOUR personal niche. Finding them is the problem, but enjoy them is the goal.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
after years of rpg enthusiasm (both jrpg and crpg) i recently went through a huge shift in how I evaluate RPGs and what I enjoy about them from discovering the joys of turn-based Dungeon Crawlers (such as Wizardry) that has been instrumental in discovering new enjoyment in RPGs

i guess my point is to maybe seek out stuff you never considered before and try it out

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What are you talking about? I barely read dialogue in RPGs. I just click through it to get to next combat encounter.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What are you talking about? I barely read dialogue in RPGs. I just click through it to get to next combat encounter.

Well, that explains a lot. Much sad, such heartbreaking.

:dead:

No wonder you think JA2 is an RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom