Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

PorkBarrellGuy

Would it kill them to also include what the stock loadout for mechs actually is?
Fuck that, uninformative and imprecise yellow bars that tell you jack and shit are the wave of the future

All you need to know is how hurty a given 'mech is, more hurty more better :retarded:

Black

Arcane
Well I see that centurion has 1 bullets, 2 POW, 1 crosshair and 4 conveyor belts.
Not the best mech, I see!

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Would it kill them to also include what the stock loadout for mechs actually is?
Fuck that, uninformative and imprecise yellow bars that tell you jack and shit are the wave of the future

All you need to know is how hurty a given 'mech is, more hurty more better :retarded:
Don't see a mech so far with an adequate melee bar, so they're all crap anyway.

Alpharius

Scholar
Btw is the multiplayer any good? Assuming the backers got to play it at some point. Seems like it could be fun but could just as easily end up being an unbalanced mess or RNG fest.

First post. :shredder:

Bohr

Arcane
No Q&A this month, but a few more details emerging on the new forums

oDEJEB.png

R23v1U.png

Bohr

Arcane
People still writing angry walls of text about the customisation thing, although it looks like modders will fix it pretty quickly

eg:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...warriors-solved.1075151/page-11#post-23930747

Speaking of management miscues.

Mitch stated that the npc character creation program was separate from the main character creation program. Why did anybody think it was necessary to create two separate programs to do the exact same thing using the exact same resources? That is beyond me. Especially since the commander creation program has all the bells and whistles. The npc creation program to me would have been just a slimmed down version of the first one. Why was this not done at the same time using the same resources? This boggles the mind. Why would Mitch state it was going to take a month of man hours plus testing time to make this separate program cause they are not the same? Once again, boggles the mind. So I am confused how this happened, how it happened so late. The really poor excuse to why this decision was made. Unfortunately, I cannot see inside the key hole to know what actually happened. I can only make my opinions based on what Mitch has revealed. If what he said was true, and I have no reason to doubt him. Then yeah this appears to be complete mismanagement of resources and time.

You do not need two completely different hammers designed from scratch and built separately to hit two barely different sized nails. Just saying. In other games, where you had a main character and then a party of npc's you used the exact same character creation system. Your main character usually had a back story and may have had better starting items. But your npc's used the same exact tools to be created. How did this get screwed up? How did this get made into a separate program? Why wasn't this figured out months ago?

This is part of the reason I am having trouble with this broken promise at such a late date. It was kickstarter stretch goal. This was addressed in many ask the devs, and live Q & A's and in tweets. This was always guaranteed to be in the release. How did this happen?

At this point if HBS is in such horrible position to finish the game at this late of the date that they are now just cutting features willy nilly without announcements and updates just comments on the forums. Please HBS, take a step back. Reevaluate and please just delay the game a month or more and finish it feature complete. I know I will not be playing the game at launch because so many features are missing for the solo campaign that for me I do not want to have to restart the campaign as HBS starts releasing cut and delayed features post launch. That is irritating at the least and annoying. Having to lose saved games or restart a game over because the developer is inserting crucial game features post launch because they could not bother to get them done on time. It is immersion breaking.

For some this new missing feature and broken promise is no big deal. I salute you. You are more forgiving than I am. I wish I were a better person and could do the same. This feature however actually affects my use of the game not just for me. But for my entire tabletop gaming group and gaming friends. Why? Because the first Friday after release I was going to host a game at my house on the 80" TV where the group would create characters and a commander. Others were going to watch. We were as a group going to play the campaign thru for the first time. I was going to gm and run the keyboard as I am the only beta backer of the group and understand the controls. My friends were going to be the commander, and the npc pilots. Hard to do this when the feature that would allow this is now cut just weeks before release.

All of these friends were probably gonna buy the game. Or preorder it. Now none of them are. That is 5 of the first nights group and then 5 of the second nights group. Did I mention I have tons of Battletech tabletop friends. All of them excited about playing this game this way since there is no coop yet. Yes we were going to hot seat it. But with npc customization we could have had a very good facsimile of a tabletop session without actually having to setup a tabletop. Including some good rpg banter, but most importantly characters invested in their pilots because they created them thru the kickstarter backed and continually promised feature of a npc custom character creation program.

Now all that goodwill and possible sales lost or delayed. I have informed them to all wait until the game is feature complete. The game nights are now cancelled until I can confirm it is possible without a huge amount of modding time. So a choice like this by HBS has cost them real money over real time. That is on them. It has also cost them bad will. That is on them. All because of poor communication and broken promises. Once again that is on them. Now HBS can either delay the game release so they can finish all paid for and promised content. I for one would prefer another month delay and a feature complete game than what is currently left that will be released.

I know some of you just want to play and I completely understand. That is what I did. Until they cut the feature I was wanting the most. The feature I repeatedly asked about and was assured was going in. The feature that was part of kickstarter that made me want to pay $20 extra so I could not only buy the game but be part of the backer beta so I could help test the game and have input into how the game works. That part worked flawlessly and HBS to their credit implemented tons of things the community suggested in beta into later copies of the beta we did not get to play but have seen in videos.

Please HBS more info. Please if you need more money or time, let us know. If anything this community is, its generous to a fault. We gave you millions of dollars already for the dream you promised. Tell us how much more money and time it will take to give us what you promised. I will give you another $20 all you have to do is ask and then explain. It has never been about the overall cost. Its been about broken promises. Now even more broken promises with very weak excuses.

Chris

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
angry walls of text
? Dude is degrading himself publicly like a battered wife. Please HBS Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeee. Vile Revolting. Kill yourself, Chris, you fucking faggot.

Kikestarter promises are bait for small brains and open wallets.

But hey! Portugese/Egyptian mechwarriors of the future are in!

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay so apart from arguing about the semantics of broken Kickstarter promises, overall is this game good or not from what we know? Don't know whether to get hyped and clear my schedule or if this is going to be an okayish think I'll wait for a sale for.

Bohr

Arcane
Man they're dropping a few bombs in casual forum posts, guess it's better than people finding out on release day but surely could have been buried in the recent KS update when the major butthurt was over the pvp cutbacks. Getting some popcorn.

86Xu2f.png

Bohr

Arcane
For anyone curious about the lostech/top end stuff we can find in the game, these two mechbay screenshots from the above video are instructive (minor spoilers obviously)

vzSANm.png

odbFjq.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice, lots of RPG-ish multiple choice event type stuff seen there. Wonder why they've been downplaying that stuff. I guess it doesn't have long-term plot branching consequences but it's still cool.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom