Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic The Might and Magic Discussion Thread

What is the best Might & Magic game in the series?

• Might and Magic: Book I

Votes: 17 2.3%
  • Might and Magic II: Gates to Another World

Votes: 29 3.9%
  • Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra

Votes: 59 8.0%
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen

Votes: 180 24.5%
  • Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Votes: 208 28.3%
  • Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor

Votes: 128 17.4%
  • Might and Magic VIII: Day of the Destroyer

Votes: 26 3.5%
  • Might and Magic IX

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Might and Magic X

Votes: 73 9.9%

• Total voters

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Where do you rate 8? The game does have some pretty good ideas but it is too short and too easy with the dragons and the inn.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I am a complete pussy weakened by modern games so I never quite finished MM1 even though I played to around level 7 - 8. Shame, as I cannot import a party. Is the premade party good to start MM2 with?

Leitz

Learned
MM1 has the best graphics. Nobody ever talks about the old ways of graphics. But MM1...I love the look of it. This game is beautiful. One day I gonna finish this game without cheating...beautiful. Just look at those trees.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
I put several hours into the old might & magic games but I never played far enough to really understand how the first three games connect to the later games lore-wise.
From 6 onwards to 8 (including all the HoMM games up to 4) the lore seems to be pretty consistent. There is even a fan made map of the entire M&M world from that time period:

xVJ6Svhfe9Q.jpg

Is there even a connection between this and the first few games? I'd get it if World of Xeen was completely disconnected, but I wonder whether the original three, or at least the first two games somehow fit into the later lore. After all, in MM6 you start out in New Scorpigal, kinda implying that Scorpigal from MM1 was a thing in that universe.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
MM 1, 2, 3 and 4-5 are on different planets (all or most of them artificial ones made by The Ancients).

The pregens in MM3 travel to Enroth and becomes major NPCs (non-recruitable) in MM7.

Nearly all the names of characters and towns in MM 1-5 are recycled in later games (including the HoMM games); they are in most cases not the same persons.

With MM6 and HoMM 3 the continuity is better.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Also it's cool to consider the continuity in these long ass series in general, I wouldn't stress my brain too much about it.
JVC seems like he wasn't much interested in developing long ass stories. Jumping from a continent to another, from a world to another, is a typical trait of the series. You can keep 95% of the story, and 100% of its somewhat thin meat, by removing all references to previous games/places/characters in MM7, MM8, H3, H4 and so forth.
Also, it's been a long time. Maybe it's just an impression I got for some reason.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I've played all HoMM games from 1 to 5 (even the first King's bounty) and M&M games from 3 to 9. I loved them all (mostly) and was "immersed" in these M&M worlds for fucking decades, and yet, I never gave a shit about the universe lore and never understood those who did (or still do). The more so when I see them clutching at straws to make it somehow coherent.

It's bad enough to care about Elder's scrolls lore, but M&M ? Give me a fucking break.

I put several hours into the old might & magic games but I never played far enough to really understand how the first three games connect to the later games lore-wise.
From 6 onwards to 8 (including all the HoMM games up to 4) the lore seems to be pretty consistent. There is even a fan made map of the entire M&M world from that time period:

xVJ6Svhfe9Q.jpg

Is there even a connection between this and the first few games? I'd get it if World of Xeen was completely disconnected, but I wonder whether the original three, or at least the first two games somehow fit into the later lore. After all, in MM6 you start out in New Scorpigal, kinda implying that Scorpigal from MM1 was a thing in that universe.

I believe Sceptic has a working chronology of all MM games posted earlier in this thread. Iirc there are a few games/homm campaigns that don’t slot in very well, but otherwise it’s pretty much the definitive timeline.

Archibald

Arcane
Also it's cool to consider the continuity in these long ass series in general, I wouldn't stress my brain too much about it.
JVC seems like he wasn't much interested in developing long ass stories. Jumping from a continent to another, from a world to another, is a typical trait of the series. You can keep 95% of the story, and 100% of its somewhat thin meat, by removing all references to previous games/places/characters in MM7, MM8, H3, H4 and so forth.
Also, it's been a long time. Maybe it's just an impression I got for some reason.

With time I came to conclusion that this is the right approach to big franchise. Gives hardcore fans something to speculate about for decades while others can ignore most of the "meta" stuff and still be immersed in the games as Lonely Vazdru said. Sure, they made some mistakes and did some contradictions that ideally shouldn't be there, but I'd take old MM world (including "new" HoMM4 world) over pretty much any other video game franchise world.

Eggs is eggs

Learned
MM 1, 2, 4 and 5 take place on spaceships. MM3 is on Terra. And then starting from 6 they all take place on the same planet that has Enroth. Not sure about MM9. All the UbiSoft MM games are in a separate continuity.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No you're right, as is Archibald. The continuity is loose enough that it's possible to completely ignore for those like LV (and Grunker IIRC) who don't care about this stuff, but it's there for those like Archibald and I to sperg over. And it more or less does fit.

I believe Sceptic has a working chronology of all MM games posted earlier in this thread. Iirc there are a few games/homm campaigns that don’t slot in very well, but otherwise it’s pretty much the definitive timeline.
The only things that I cannot fit at all are the Price of Loyalty expansion for HOMM2, and the HOMM4 expansions (though those supposedly do take place on Axeoth, they just have nothing to do whatsoever with MM9/HOMM4). I still tinker with that list once in a while :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Now I have finally beat this game (...) It took me almost a month
Where the hell do you get all that time? It took me half a year to complete that game.
You can finish most MM games in a few days. Especially the later games,i am talking about nearly 100% not speed running.

The MM universe kinds of starts building up from MM6 and HoMM. Before that it was random star adventure.

Mightmagic

Augur
I would recommend playing X Legacy.
Yes, a very good game.
After M&M VIII and IX, the worst titles of the series, a good surprise.

It's much closer in feeling to the traditional Might & Magic games then these weird fps hybrids.

It does have its problems, the main being small world scope.
But it's much more interesting tactics and ability-wise. Although some hold it against it, saying that it's "too slow".
Same

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, a very good game.

It's much closer in feeling to the traditional Might & Magic games then these weird fps hybrids.

But it's much more interesting tactics and ability-wise. Although some hold it against it, saying that it's "too slow".
Same
No! The worst MM games are MM X and MM IX. MM X being the worst by far! While MM VIII is better by far than these two.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, a very good game.

Same
No! The worst MM games are MM X and MM IX. MM X being the worst by far! While MM VIII is better by far than these two.

Personally I liked MM X a lot. Almost as much as IV and V, although the world is far smaller of course.

I also have hazy memory of somewhat enjoying MM IX's limited scope. The 3D environment in IX wasn't as jarring as in the 3 earlier games, from what I remember. The transition to a 3D setting was much improved on.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
So Might & Magic X is a pretty fucking solid game. I did the game great injustice when I waded in the first time.

The balance is also pretty nice, not nearly as fucked up as people make it out to be. In b4 "bro 2 blade dancers bro wreck erryting"

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yep, I had a really hard time choosing my party composition. Each class brings something unique to the table and is interesting. Impressive balance! ...despite some OP late game skills. Nearly everyone gets some, so...

Well the Defender was the easiest to skip.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
So Might & Magic X is a pretty fucking solid game.
I would add "context taken into consideration" out of fairness.
I mean, from the perspective of Ubisoft, it's just money. They gave 0 fucks through and through. Hence an abysmal budget.
But what good ol' Julien Pirou managed to do with it is cool, kudos to him. Too bad his input on homm7 wasn't as fruitful.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Yep, I had a really hard time choosing my party composition. Each class brings something unique to the table and is interesting. Impressive balance! ...despite some OP late game skills. Nearly everyone gets some, so...

Well the Defender was the easiest to skip.
I've actually been thinking about a party I could build around a Defender just so I can play one eventually.

Possibly: melee party. Hunter, Mercenary, Defender, Druid. An Orc with a spear simply does gargantuan single hit damage, and both he and the Mercenary need to use Warfare skills to get past the enemy block, so no reason to cast the light spell that breaks blocks. Mercenary would probably use two-handed axes just because no one else really has a use for them, and their critical hit effect should be pretty nice. The Defender actually acts as a fire caster in this party, for the all important Burning Determination, and some offensive magic. He only uses Warfare skills to protect the Druid, who is the only healer in the party. The Druid specializes in Earth and Water magic, with water being an especially nice school IME. Depending on how much defense the party needs he could also dabble in light magic, would probably be prudent to avoid him getting killed.

Hunter and Mercenary together should give this party a lot of flexibility after their promotion, with the Mercenary getting the party away from hard melee enemies and the Hunter dragging squishies into melee.

JBro

Arbiter
Why aren't they selling MM6 on Steam? I just noticed it still comes with MMX Deluxe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom