Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are so many good (and old) games out there it's impossible to have played them all.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I'm happy that Obsidian is delaying PoE2 lauching. 4 weeks is a lot of time to fix and make changes. 2 sprints! They can A LOT.

Anyone who says they cant do anything in 4 weeks is because never worked in development.

I have to say that this is a bold move because the magazines and websites are covering the game now and surely the game will lose momentum. It's a victory for the development team and for sure it's Sawyer's victory. And it will certainly have a cost.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You know FeelTheRads, in case you haven't noticed, you're posting on a particularly autistic RPG forum. Design ambition "for its own sake" does in fact have some value here. We're not the kind of people who leave shit alone. We're the kind of people who nitpick, and theorize, and tinker, and build castles in the sky, and post walls of text about it. Why on earth else would you post here? I mean besides getting EdgelordNewfag1488's opinion on female game developers' latest choice of hair color.

If I'm not mistaken, you're not a fan of Age of Decadence either, so at least you're consistent on not being interested in unusual and ambition design.
Touching story, really. And here I was, thinking he is posting on a subforum where circlejerking surpassed the "safe space" levels of most famous of internet's cesspools and shameless dicksucking is performed on a daily basis with all the false pretences of being these mythical edgy crpg connoiserurs long forgotten.

Also lol at the year being 2018, obsidian's last games: DS3, South park and PoE and people are still calling them ambitious:lol:

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
There's nothing to play till fucking 8 May, what the hell am I supposed to play till then? Neverwinter nothing enhanced edition? :negative:

FFXV! I'll have a review for the codex up soon.

Spoiler: it's not good.

I'd rather clean my nuts with sandpaper than play anything related to late Final Fantasy or any other Jap cringe inducing anime looking abominations. If it's not Dark Souls related I don't want to hear about anything related to Japan anymore, they are producing pure diarrhea lately.

Jezal_k23

One interesting thing - they (even Josh) seem to have gone from saying "the game is as large as PoE" to saying "the game is significantly larger than PoE"

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
for example doing away with artificial gear restrictions is something that I like a lot, because it's both lore consistent and allows for a lot of tactical experimentation and build variety.
I could not believe someone had actually written these words. All classes can play largely the same, have largely the same stat distributions, can be equipped with anything -> more variety? How gullible are you ppl? What tactical experimentation when everything applies some shitty affliction for a fart-time duration? Oftentimes it's the same affliction, with a different base duration. Different abilities, same affliction, across *classes*?! How can anyone calling himself an RPG player fall for this shit being presented as an advantage?

This word is being misused so much, and generally by millenial retards, for whom anyone spending more than a minute on a problem has to have a disorder. There are words like meticulous and pedantic, ffs.

There's nothing to play till fucking 8 May, what the hell am I supposed to play till then? Neverwinter nothing enhanced edition? :negative:
KCD

BilboBaggins

Educated
Is this going to be playable on APRIL 4th, or will I just be spending a few months experimenting with character builds and restarting after the 5th or 6th hour to try a new one? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that...

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"All attacks reduce hit points, the SAME hitpoints, across *classes*?"
Lol, top of the line analogy. Is this something out of SomethingAwful too?
I think this is what happens when he tries to think instead of posting unaccredited quote #716298773.
It does look like something a chat bot would spit out when cornered.

Is this going to be playable on APRIL 4th, or will I just be spending a few months experimenting with character builds and restarting after the 5th or 6th hour to try a new one? Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that...
It's gonna be perfectly playable, as behooves a spiritual successor to Pillars of Eternity.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Got the delay announcement: https://newsletters.obsidian.net/w/...rawkFHjNKaEN4763rICRLg/nC6Uhtz4Ox4EvTd6HlYLFg

Greetings fans!

We know you're as excited as we are about the upcoming launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. As you have probably guessed, Deadfire is a huge game -- significantly larger than the original Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian has been working harder than Abydon himself to make sure every inch of it is awesome, as well as incorporating all the great feedback we have been getting from everyone playing the Backer Beta.

With this in mind, we are taking just a few extra weeks to polish and put those finishing touches on the game.

Our new launch date will be Tuesday, May 8, 2018. To tide you over until then, you can look forward to plenty of Deadfire-related news and content coming in the weeks and months.

See you all soon in the Deadfire!

Obsidian
SkeletonWarriorsFront-300x225.jpg
There's still time for Guido Henkel to release Deathfire first! :M

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ok i must ask. There is some myth that it is good for a game to delayed so it will be less buggy and good. Does anyone know a game that was delayed and turned out to be a good game??? All the examples that come to mind are shit games......andromeda or duke that should have remained forever.

Fry

Arcane

Yes, the full game will be playable Apr 4. The last several pages of this thread are a goof.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"All attacks reduce hit points, the SAME hitpoints, across *classes*?"
Lol, top of the line analogy. Is this something out of SomethingAwful too?
I think this is what happens when he tries to think instead of posting unaccredited quote #716298773.
It does look like something a chat bot would spit out when cornered.

Ooh, somebody's edgy today.

It's a perfectly fine analogy. A person who's used to having a universal system of afflictions doesn't think different classes having access to it is "samey", he thinks it's as natural as every class being able to reduce hitpoints.

Here's another analogy:

One guy has just two tools, a hammer and a saw. Two very different tools.

Another guy has a toolkit, with dozens of different types of hammer, saws, screwdrivers and all manner of hybrids. Each only slightly different from the other, each appropriate for a slightly different situation.

Each guy accuses the other of having a boring, limited, samey tool system. Welcome to 5 years of Pillars of Eternity discussion.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The trick is to delay playing it for a half-year after release and it will be even better. But who has the strength for that, when the Codex thread advances by 15 pages a day? :)

TBH, I expect Deadfire to be an improvement over Base PoE in both writing, combat, and exploration (including items, quest rewards, etc). But that's a pretty low bar to begin with and I can't get over my regret over how much better it could have been if it didn't try to fix what was not broken with the IE games, and was incidentally one of the few flawlessly working things about them.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ooh, somebody's edgy today.

It's a perfectly fine analogy. A person who's used to having a universal system of afflictions doesn't think different classes having access to it is "samey", he thinks it's as natural as every class being able to reduce hitpoints.

Here's another analogy:

One guy has just two tools, a hammer and a saw. Two very different tools.

Another guy has a toolkit, with dozens of different types of hammer, saws, screwdrivers and all manner of hybrids. Each only slightly different from the other, each appropriate for a slightly different situation.

Each guy accuses the other of having a boring, limited, samey tool system. Welcome to 5 year of Pillars of Eternity discussion.
You really are not one for analogies.

Your guy can think whatever he wants to think. This doesn't mean he is right.

Call me when your D&D rogue starts applying the same status effects as the mage's spells do.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
This thread turned into some massive brawl.
I guess everybody's disappointed in the delay.
Have a hug, y'all :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom