Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate icewind dale 2 party

razvedchiki

Erudite
so i will give icewind dale 2 a spin and decided at this party (with tactics mod).

- dwarf or half orc fighter 4/barbarian x
- drow or dwarf or human battlecleric of tempus
- aasimar fighter 4/paladin x
- human or halfling bard
- deep gnome rogue 1/illusionist x
- havent decided on 6th member prob another cleric

i like melee heavy parties,any tips?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Me,a human rogue.
Dwarf fighter for drinking buddy.
4 females human/elfs for sex slaves.
Now that is what i call a party!

Jokes aside,i always go for the standard rogue,ranger,cleric,wizard,fighter paladin. I have one dwarf and the rest are elfs and humans for the roleplaying. I find the other races boring. And why not roleplay when the game could be finished with most parties.

the_shadow

Arcane
You could make a high Wis + Dex monk build and multiclass to Painbearer of Ilmater. Or you could go with a fighter/Cleric of Bane build, so you can take advantage of the Wis bonus you get from a quest specific to Bane clerics. Fighter/Druids aren't a bad choice either, especially since they get some decent summoned weapons early on (Starmetal cudgel is pretty good). A druid's barkskin spell is useful to get super high AC values.

laclongquan

Arcane
- dwarf or half orc fighter 4/barbarian x <==== Half orc is better in my book, cause I dont like dof. I do fighter until 4 just for weapon's 3 pip then squat until I can give 3 level of the next class (to get out of multiclassing punishment) which should be Dreadmistress of Bane (use cleric spell for self buff). Then fighter/cleric all the way.
- drow or dwarf or human battlecleric of tempus <== this is Human Dreadmistress of Bane for summons, and buffs. And scare the hell out of enemies.
- aasimar fighter 4/paladin x <== My paladin also. F4 for weapon mastery~ Bow, Large Sword, later on probabbly Axe.
- human or halfling bard <== My previous party use one but this time I dont. I use a spare Human Dreadmistress of Bane, but focus on different areas.
- deep gnome rogue 1/illusionist x <=== Deep Gnome rogue fighter4 for a bow master scout. Fuck backstab!
- havent decided on 6th member prob another cleric <=== Human transmuter. At19 or 20 level I plan to dual to one level of sorcerer to get out of the transmuter's limit, which should be at late game or next (heart of fury).

The pros of 2 clerics is that you can use long duration summoned undeads instead of the short term Summon Creatures.
A melee-heavy party you should use wizards and clerics for buffs instead of highpower artillery. My damaging spells is actually chromatic orbs~

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
nice but i wanna play a goody party so no mistress of any kind.

dwarfs have +2 saving throws and better hp,orcs better strength wish i could take 2 of them.
i take pally mainly for his quest and sword,though he is a bad party leader because he refuses rewards.
the rogue lvl of the deep gnome is for the thievery skills.
main reason i take 2 clerics is because i detest spam resting to heal.

i dont use animate dead on good parties,if i remember correctly the manual states that its for evil parties only and it makes sense.

Fighter/Druids aren't a bad choice either, especially since they get some decent summoned weapons early on (Starmetal cudgel is pretty good). A druid's barkskin spell is useful to get super high AC values.

4 fighter rest druid?race?melee or ranged?

PrettyDeadman

Your builds seems a bit too amature for tactics mod. If you want to play heart of fury, your builds should look like this:
Monk 1 / Ranger 1 / Paladin 2 /Rogue 1 / Morninglord of Lathander 14 / Illusionist 11
or
Monk 1 / Rogue 1 / Dreadmaster of Bane 20 / Sorcerer 8

the_shadow

Arcane
weapons?
also how should the lvl distribution be in order to not get hit by the xp penalty?

You'll want two-handed weapons to make best use of your strength. I'd probably go for greataxes due to it be pretty easy to find enchanted ones. Spears are OK if you decide to go HoF since you get 12 paces, and a couple of really good staves can be found as random loot.

Edit: You can also get a pretty good spear early on, although you need to do the battle square at the Ice Temple, which can be frustrating.

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
Halforc's 20 strength and the Nine Paces polearm mean she can stand behind a sword-shield Pally and poke at the same enemy. She get about 1/4 of total 6-man party kill xp, demonstrate that choice's superiority. (that position is thank to the liberal use of summons as meat wall)

Paladin's 18 strength mean she get her own portion of 1/6 party kill xp, no more. Maybe when she get the cera sumat she will kill better but currently she's strictly meat shield.

Deep Gnome 20 dexterity and the long bow means she can swipe across the field like a machinegun. She's only behind Halforc in term of party kill xp.

The two Dreadmistress and a human transmuter are equipped with crossbow, stand the same spot of efficiency.

Great axe are good, as we can loot one right in Targos, but 3-tile Nine Paces dictate that Polearm's priority. Although I can agree it's a 50-50 choice. There's much to be said for throwing axes in the hand of melee fighters.

razvedchiki

Erudite
i went for a dwarf fighter/barbarian with axes,ranger/fighter elf with longbow,deep gnome rogue/illusionist with crossbow and 2 clerics (tempus,lathander),fighter/pally with 1handed swords.
should i multiclass the lathander clecri to fighter?

Great axe are good, as we can loot one right in Targos, but 3-tile Nine Paces dictate that Polearm's priority. Although I can agree it's a 50-50 choice. There's much to be said for throwing axes in the hand of melee fighters.

magical 2handed axe?where?

Tigranes

Arcane
Currently going in with a pretty normal setup: Battleguard of Tempos Shield Dwarf, a Ranger 1 / Druid shapeshifter just to see how much I can use shapes, and a Human Sorcerer.

Shooting is OP like in every IE game, and especially in BG1.

the_shadow

Arcane
I have about 30+ games in my backlog on STEAM/GoG, yet this thread makes me want to do another re-run of IWD 2.

laclongquan said:
Even a Dex10 meatshield can do an okay job with a longbow.

Wouldn't slings/thrown weapons be a better option to take advantage of the Strength bonus? I remember a series of calculations for BG2 that demonstrated thrown weapons superseded even the best longbows when it came to damage. Only the Tuigan's Bow (a short bow) came close thanks to the extra attack per round.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I have about 30+ games in my backlog on STEAM/GoG, yet this thread makes me want to do another re-run of IWD 2.

laclongquan said:
Even a Dex10 meatshield can do an okay job with a longbow.

Wouldn't slings/thrown weapons be a better option to take advantage of the Strength bonus? I remember a series of calculations for BG2 that demonstrated thrown weapons superseded even the best longbows when it came to damage. Only the Tuigan's Bow (a short bow) came close thanks to the extra attack per round.
Range,there is a lot of enemy archers and casters. With a range orientated party you can down most casters before they cast anything.You can give throw to the meatsack/s dwarf.

so i will give icewind dale 2 a spin and decided at this party (with tactics mod).

- dwarf or half orc fighter 4/barbarian x
- drow or dwarf or human battlecleric of tempus
- aasimar fighter 4/paladin x
- human or halfling bard
- deep gnome rogue 1/illusionist x
- havent decided on 6th member prob another cleric

i like melee heavy parties,any tips?

maybe ranger if you want to keep the melee theme.

I usually go:

Human female fighter or Barbarian
Male Dwarf Fighter
Human Female Fighter 4/Cleric X
Female Half-Elf Thief
Male Human Magic-User
Human Male Bard or Range

- dwarf or half orc fighter 4/barbarian x <==== Half orc is better in my book, cause I dont like dof. I do fighter until 4 just for weapon's 3 pip then squat until I can give 3 level of the next class (to get out of multiclassing punishment) which should be Dreadmistress of Bane (use cleric spell for self buff). Then fighter/cleric all the way.
- drow or dwarf or human battlecleric of tempus <== this is Human Dreadmistress of Bane for summons, and buffs. And scare the hell out of enemies.
- aasimar fighter 4/paladin x <== My paladin also. F4 for weapon mastery~ Bow, Large Sword, later on probabbly Axe.
- human or halfling bard <== My previous party use one but this time I dont. I use a spare Human Dreadmistress of Bane, but focus on different areas.
- deep gnome rogue 1/illusionist x <=== Deep Gnome rogue fighter4 for a bow master scout. Fuck backstab!
- havent decided on 6th member prob another cleric <=== Human transmuter. At19 or 20 level I plan to dual to one level of sorcerer to get out of the transmuter's limit, which should be at late game or next (heart of fury).

The pros of 2 clerics is that you can use long duration summoned undeads instead of the short term Summon Creatures.
A melee-heavy party you should use wizards and clerics for buffs instead of highpower artillery. My damaging spells is actually chromatic orbs~

Currently going in with a pretty normal setup: Battleguard of Tempos Shield Dwarf, a Ranger 1 / Druid shapeshifter just to see how much I can use shapes, and a Human Sorcerer.

Shooting is OP like in every IE game, and especially in BG1.

Yeah Range is OP, which is why I usually only 'allow' myself outfit one character with a bow or crossbow

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The reason I don't put everyone into bows is because there isn't enough ammunition for everyone usually in IE games, and if there is (like with regular arrows as opposed to the good arrows) they take up way too much inventory space for what they are, what with being limited to 40 per stack and coming in so many different varieties. But saying that, I do usually make sure everyone can use something ranged, be it bullets, bows or bolts, maybe even darts, even if they never use them for 99.9% of the game (because of more efficient spell casting or slashing priorities).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom