Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy Tactics, some questions and thought

Hyperion

Arcane
If it's the fight I'm thinking of (Rafa is an ally?), having a Jump of 5 allows you to scale the walls. I typically use a Ninja throwing some powerful weapons to take out the Summoners quickly, which pretty much neuters any difficulty the fight has. Throw damage is also based on Speed, I believe, so stacking Speed and throwing an axe (highest base PA on a weapon available at that time) at their skull usually is enough to 1 shot them.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yea, that's the map. Silencing the enemy summoners didn't work too well. The main problem are the ninjas, since they basically one-hit kill my beasts with their two attacks. I think my best chance is to try to petrify all the enemies on the map - both the Vampire and my Cocatoris can petrify enemies with a pretty decent 50% hit chance. So basically that's equivalent to something like Holy if it hits. But it's still very, very hard battle. I think I will chance Ramza back to Monk and try this strategy. If that doesn't work I will go get Ramza the Ninja job that he doesn't have atm. He has the Monk Revive ability, so I don't even need White Magic and can maybe try Time Mage spells like Haste on my beasts instead. I'll equip Germinas Boots to get a Jump of 5.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
You know your sacred has a huge AoE spell unlocked by the monster support skill right?

Actually, for some reason, I hadn't noticed it before. I had been playing with Red Dragon's Fire Breath, but not really with anything else. I absolutely have to give it a try! Monster suppot skill is usually not that useful due to Ramza having to be right next to the monster, but in this fight this skill could have certainly helped.

I say "could have" because I actually was victorious! It took me 6 or 7 tries. I ended up using the Cocatoris instead of the Red Dragon. My tactic was to wait at the very corner of the map, healing Rafa with Chakra for the first two turns, waiting for the ninjas to come out from the fort and then send a strike team of Red Chocobo and Cocatoris over the wall to deal with the summoners. Ramza's Wave Punch dealt relatively high damage to the monks so he was able to defeat one of them. Vampire paralyzed another monk and the third was evaporated by the Sacred after the monk became too brave to finish off the Vampire, which Ramza resurrected the following turn. The Red Chocobo actually wasn't the star this time around - it only killed Rafa's brother. The Cocatoris paralyzed the other summoner and Vampire climb over the wall to paralyzed the other. I was just about to resort to quick save/load scumming, but during this round I only reloaded once to get a successful paralyze on the summoner - the chance of success was 67% anyway so it's hardly cheating. :)

One of the key factors for the victory was the speed of Cocatoris and Red Chocobo. The summoners didn't have time to cast summons before the strike team had acted twice and taken care of the summoners.

Great, challenging battle! I'm so happy that my flanking tactic actually worked! :lol:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I've decided to try to finish FFT with a Monster party.

Weird decision. The job system is half the fun in this game. Of course it's entirely breakable, and renders the difficulty meaningless, but it allows for so many combinations. Well, your efforts merit to be saluted. :salute:

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
I've decided to try to finish FFT with a Monster party.

Weird decision. The job system is half the fun in this game. Of course it's entirely breakable, and renders the difficulty meaningless, but it allows for so many combinations. Well, your efforts merit to be saluted. :salute:

I agree. I guess I try to compensate monster party's lack of job and equipment by using different monsters in different battles. But I'm not sure if I can finish the game at all with just Ramza and 4 monsters - some of the battles are very difficult and require some RNG. But this "lack of resources" definitely makes you go through every battle map very carefully and to try to find new approaches to stay alive one turn longer. Some monsters have mobility advantage over regular NPCs and that can actually be a great advantage in many maps that needs to be utilized.

But if I find myself getting bored with the monsters, I will return to the normal NPC party. I really want to finish this game. :)

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Tried an Android version.

Works better than expected but they didn't apply changes needed for a phone game. You can only save between battles and that means that you can only play if you know you have a lot of time on your hand - and most phone games allow you to drop them at any moment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom