Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Hahaha,not peaking a fight with you here mate,even agreeing. I was going more for a discussion ;). I too like to stockpile armours that look like they could be useful in some situations in future battles. But i don't remember a game that i actually did use them,most of the times i just replay the battle a few times until i find good strategy and win. Now i am replaying Geneforge 2 and the exit of the town is filled with all kind of items that give me +x% of some resistance...i am well aware that i will never use them on my solo agent because i already finished the game on harder difficulty without using them.
:negative: Really miss the Morrowind Museum idea. Don't know why nobody came up with it again. Collecting strong artefacts and having them on display in your stronghold is kind of fun idea.
Yeah, I suspect I won't mess with the armors either. It's just too tedious to go through monster stats, check their Pen, calculate the AR you'd need to optimise the comparison and reach a better threshold.
Yet, and since that would only occur in toughest fights from toughest difficulties, it's just cool to have this extra option, since 30% more damage ought to be massive in the endgame and should be avoided if possible. And that exists specifically because it works around thresholds, giving 1 point of AR/PEN either a lot of weight or 0 impact. I like this system more than flat DR on paper, we'll see how it goes in game.

Interesting how the shot above has been studied to convey a message. With the physical box right in the middle like hey we're not that late guys, it's just a couple of micro-issues remaining.
Now that I think of it, the joke about Grimoire earlier in the thread just got a new taste :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hahaha,not peaking a fight with you here mate,even agreeing. I was going more for a discussion ;). I too like to stockpile armours that look like they could be useful in some situations in future battles. But i don't remember a game that i actually did use them,most of the times i just replay the battle a few times until i find good strategy and win. Now i am replaying Geneforge 2 and the exit of the town is filled with all kind of items that give me +x% of some resistance...i am well aware that i will never use them on my solo agent because i already finished the game on harder difficulty without using them.
:negative: Really miss the Morrowind Museum idea. Don't know why nobody came up with it again. Collecting strong artefacts and having them on display in your stronghold is kind of fun idea.
Yeah, I suspect I won't mess with the armors either. It's just too tedious to go through monster stats, check their Pen, calculate the AR you'd need to optimise the comparison and reach a better threshold.
Yet, and since that would only occur in toughest fights from toughest difficulties, it's just cool to have this extra option, since 30% more damage ought to be massive in the endgame and should be avoided if possible. And that exists specifically because it works around thresholds, giving 1 point of AR/PEN either a lot of weight or 0 impact. I like this system more than flat DR on paper, we'll see how it goes in game.

Interesting how the shot above has been studied to convey a message. With the physical box right in the middle like hey we're not that late guys, it's just a couple of micro-issues remaining.
Now that I think of it, the joke about Grimoire earlier in the thread just got a new taste :lol:
That is why i like buffing,you just splash some shit that you do know it give you some positive effect and some resistance that matches the enemies attack colour and you are done. Also buffing is not something to disappear after 10 seconds(in IE games). Don't know why people cheer for less possible options. Also heavy armour was shit for damage dealing,Eder was terrible with a shield and sword,my rogue was gifting like 150 damage until eder attacks twice for 15 damage.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I as a Codexer supported what Josh Sawyer was doing because I was interested in more ambitious system design, not because I thought it was more noob-friendly.

Not supporting anymore then?

Also, what exactly was ambitious about it and what was the end goal? Ambition usually has a target...can't be ambitious for ambition.

Edit:

And lol at the telemetry bullshit. He's still with that crap.

Telemetry and Something Awful forums... like he's intentionally gathering concentrated stupidity to make his games. :lol:

Something Awful are also the same guys who were going "why would anyone want to miss lololaex?????" when Sawyer wanted to remove missing and was getting backlash for it. :lol:

So I guess they're right up his alley... complete inbred retards with a love for shit design.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
If, in fact, Deadfire turns out to be a disaster the primary hubris is already evident.

Multiclassing. It piled mechanical complexity on top of an already complex system.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The ambition was designing a system that wasn't degenerate. Alas going to drawing board every other month resulted in an insoluble mess.

Yeah, just like Infinitron, you're going in circles.

Ambitious... not degerate... blah blah. Can you be more specific?

Apparently it somehow means better than the IE games, but not exactly clear how.

But that aside... so now you Sawyer-fags are telling me that you just trusted him to deliver based on this vague ambition... because... he was ambitious? Wow, talk about being fucking gullible. Like Infinitron was babbling how Sawyer cares so much about design! Like nobody who did much better games before him did! Therefore he will do good!!! :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, what exactly was ambitious about it and what was the end goal? Ambition usually has a target...can't be ambitious for ambition.

The target being more freeform character building mechanics akin to a classless RPG within the framework of a tactical class-based system, allowing for more roleplaying possibilities. This isn't a big secret.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
lol wut

Free form in class based was the target? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, so.. ambition for complete stupidity and useless shit. Yeah, totally see why anyone would call this ambition.

More roleplaying abilities... by limiting freeform to classes. Fuck me, my sides :lol:

Prime Junta

Multiclassing. It piled mechanical complexity on top of an already complex system.

The Sawyer giveth, the Sawyer taketh away. Multiclassing was also accompanied by a drastic reduction in build options within a class. My gut feeling is that the multi- and subclasses in P2 are easier to handle than the fluid and flexible talent and ability picks in P1.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got the delay announcement:

Greetings fans!

We know you're as excited as we are about the upcoming launch of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire. As you have probably guessed, Deadfire is a huge game -- significantly larger than the original Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian has been working harder than Abydon himself to make sure every inch of it is awesome, as well as incorporating all the great feedback we have been getting from everyone playing the Backer Beta.

With this in mind, we are taking just a few extra weeks to polish and put those finishing touches on the game.

Our new launch date will be Tuesday, May 8, 2018. To tide you over until then, you can look forward to plenty of Deadfire-related news and content coming in the weeks and months.

See you all soon in the Deadfire!

Obsidian

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Eh, the ambition of PoE was to have a system that resembles the classics, but is designed from the ground up for video games, with all the advantages that might bring. And this is a monumental task, with RPG being one of oldest genres. Some concepts, like health bars, are ingrained in people's heads to such an extent, we don't see them as a pure abstraction planted into the game. So you cannot say that it wasn't ambitious.

And PoE1 certainly made some advancements on that front, for example doing away with artificial gear restrictions is something that I like a lot, because it's both lore consistent and allows for a lot of tactical experimentation and build variety. But overall, designing a coherent system certainly proven harder than Josh had expected, that much is clear.

Last edited:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
By the way, fucking IWD had more roleplaying options, not in small part due to using that supposedly degenerate system that is and will always be superior to anything Sawyer shits out.
But I guess it didn't have the absolutely necessary "muscle wizard" (well, unless you multiclass) so I can totally see how PoE is more ambitious. :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You know FeelTheRads, in case you haven't noticed, you're posting on a particularly autistic RPG forum. Design ambition "for its own sake" does in fact have some value here. We're not the kind of people who leave shit alone. We're the kind of people who nitpick, and theorize, and tinker, and build castles in the sky, and post walls of text about it. Why on earth else would you post here? I mean besides getting EdgelordNewfag1488's opinion on female game developers' latest choice of hair color.

If I'm not mistaken, you're not a fan of Age of Decadence either, so at least you're consistent on not being interested in unusual and ambition design.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol the fuck... dat sudden releasedate push. Game must not be as rdy.. Godddamit Josh :(

I was looking forward to play this in my easter vacation. Oh well. Guess not.

sstacks

Arcane
I bet they're having a hard time getting that big colossus god thing to wake up and rampage around. Evidently it really really likes it's beauty sleep.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
There's nothing to play till fucking 8 May, what the hell am I supposed to play till then? Neverwinter nothing enhanced edition? :negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom