Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - set in Nazi occupied America

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shamus Young takes on Wolfenstein II...and sounds kinda pissed: http://shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=41551

This game came out to critical praise. The trailers looked good. Outside of the technology problems on the PC, there’s wasn’t a lot of negative press. But then the game was 50% off just one month after release, which isn’t something you normally see with successful games. Yes, that was a black Friday sale and those are always a little crazy. But even so, I didn’t see any other 1-month old AAA games going on that sort of deep discount. Was this an anomaly, or was the publisher struggling to sell this game?

I have no idea, but after playing through a couple of times I can say there is definitely something off about Wolfenstein II.

[...] This isn’t an RPG. There aren’t a lot of complex leveling mechanics, branching storylines, moral choices, or philosophical conundrums for the player to puzzle over. The game throws Nazis in your way and you shoot them. This is a fairly simple game in both a narrative and mechanical sense. So why am I bothering to do a deep-dive on a linear shooter?

Basically, because I think the gaming press whiffed on this game. As of this writing, New Colossus is scoring an 88% on Metacritic. I realize that tastes vary and I’m not arguing that any individual review is wrong. If you think this game really is an 88% that’s fine. But this game is rated far above New Order and I think when you examine it closely it’s clearly inferior.

New Colossus looks and feels superficially like its immediate predecessors, and so it was given a pass. But I think it was a clear regression from the last two games and yet somehow it received greater critical praise and was nominated for many best-of-2017 lists. The Telegraph even called it “one of this decade's best”. (Which is slanderous to a lot of other things that came out this decade, including the previous two games.)

I really liked Wolfenstein: The New Order. It was an old-school run-n-gun shooter with just enough gritty storytelling to make it interesting and just enough camp to keep it fun. Our hero BJ Blazkowicz takes the world seriously so you don’t have to. He gives these grim monologues like he’s Max Payne, but he’s fighting cartoonish mega-Nazis in a mad alternate history where the Nazis conquered the world with super-science.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood wasn’t quite as fun and seemed to be missing the driving spark that the previous game had. The emotional core was built around a couple of NPC lovers trying to find each other amidst the chaos. I liked it, but I only played through it once and I never really had any desire to give it another go.

Unless you rate a game based solely on the running time of its cutscenes, New Colossus is inferior to both of these games.

Not gonna copy-paste this here but it might be a fun read.

Ash

Arcane
When did that happen? Sure Waifumata pushes japan on a verge of decline, but what was that final blow?

I can't speak for that whole corner of the market as I'm not completely up to date with modern JP gaming, but in my experience everything that I loved about it before is pretty much gone and replaced with shit.

More like Deus Ex: Prosperity, amirite?

rating_prosper.png

Zer0wing

Cipher
I can't speak for that whole corner of the market as I'm not completely up to date with modern JP gaming, but in my experience everything that I loved about it before is pretty much gone and replaced with shit.
Are you talking about modern Final Fantasy? Nah, that's just Square Enix acting retarded, like they do ever since early 2000s.
Illusion got shittier when the got rid of gameplay and story from their hentai games and embraced autism, though. :negative:

Ash

Arcane
No. Square, Capcom, Konami, Sega, Nintendo, Sony and most of the rest. Decline decline decline. Taito and Namco were always nothing special and that hasn't really changed though.

Square merged with Enix, and acquired Eidos, and it has been a shitshow of epic proportions ever since with such modern "classics" as Tomb Raider 2013, Hitman Absolution, Final Fantasy 13, Deus Ex: Human Revolution (actually one of the acceptable games here, though is still decline), Thiaf and more. Not only is it absolute decline of square and enix titles, but also eidos! triumvirate of decline.
Capcom you got absolute shit like Resident Evil 6, DMC: Devil May Cry, Asura's Wrath, Dead Rising, and street fighter copy-paste release #100, little else. Trusted opinions say Dragon's Dogma is good though...one title. Edit: also Monster Hunter is apparently good, not trusted though. Just heard that in passing.
Konami you have the modern Castlevania popamole decline, modern Silent Hill games which are universally considered shit, MGSV which contrary to popular belief isn't very good (though it's not terrible either).
Sega...well we all know their fall from grace way back, yet somehow they're still around and still shovelling shit.
Sony used to be involved with a lot of fun games back in the 90s. Now it's AAA popmole en masse, as is generally the standard for ANY big publisher that survived the rapid growth of the industry.
Nintendo I don't have much of a valid opinion, as I am quite ignorant on most things modern nintendo. Yet I don't fully like what I see.

Lots of classic franchises driven into the ground/are just milking their retarded fanbases. And of course the Japanese now follow the market trends of the west and adopted the microtransactions and the "reboot or remaster EVERYTHING! and make it shit" mentality. Still less declined than western game dev though despite all this. The western way of things these days makes my blood boil.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Oh. Well. There are two types of japanese games. NA-market targeted crap and mostly local targeted market. The former just follows suit to preference of westernies. Digging into the latter can be quite an adventure finding rough diamonds. Often published by the same "declined" publishers.

Ash

Arcane
Perhaps. I am not fully informed as I mentioned, though part of that is down to plenty of the local targeted stuff being so animu-heavy goddamn it. :negative: And not even the appealing kind of anime, e.g not highly detailed Ghost in the Shell-inspired artwork.
Mostly everything intended for an international audience is dogshit these days though.

Ash

Arcane
Shamus Young says...

...I really liked Wolfenstein: The New Order. It was an old-school run-n-gun shooter with just enough gritty storytelling to make it interesting and just enough camp to keep it fun. Our hero BJ Blazkowicz takes the world seriously so you don’t have to. He gives these grim monologues like he’s Max Payne, but he’s fighting cartoonish mega-Nazis in a mad alternate history where the Nazis conquered the world with super-science

No it was not old school and no it was not particularly good. Goddamn decline fags.

Last edited:

Cross

Arcane
I sure am glad these trailers keep stressing how evil nazis are and that they should all be killed because how else could we stumble upon this profound and revelatory insight.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Instead of this boring, SJW infested bullshit I'd rather replay the original Wolfenstein "Arrrgh .. Mein Leben!".
It was incredibly amusing how anti-p.c. it was in 1993.

Boleskine

Arcane

:abyssgazer:

This is what passes for writing in modern AAA games?

I'm embarrassed for these failed aspiring Hollywood screenwriters.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
24 reviews, that's less than the Kingdom Come artbook DLC has.
Looks like not even season pass holders have bothered to download it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also the game is 50% off,just watching the steamspy and laughing my ass off. Before the sale it had around 454,000 owners,few days in sale it have around 451,000 owners.
:shredder:

ortucis

Prophet
So, just started playing this game.

First of all, I am running this maxed out with no FPS drop, so hooray? Except that game looks so "meh", incredibly dull. But whatever, that isn't even the problem.

The problem is that after the initial shooting section, I am stuck on a stupid sub where I am being told to talk to people, complete sidequests (not optional) and fucking BJ keeps talking about this "Caroline", who I don't remember from first game at all (story was shit, can't blame me for not caring). Whole game is trying to be cinematic with a character called BJ.

So we have hilarious opening section with this Caroline dying, me just still trying to remember the first game's story with a fat German girl making the death scene even more ridiculous. Then after killing everything casually (I am playing on on "Normal", didn't expect it to be this easy) with only cinematic "scratches" on me, I explored this boring submarine with really funny token cast of resistence with no character whatsoever (there is a muslim, german, russian, britisher, mexican, african).

Anyway, got bored. Quit. Gonna refund since all this took less than 30 mins on normal difficulty (thank Satan).

PS: I like how 90 FOV looks like 60 FOV with giant gun still sticking to your face and with most of the levels, "HDR" dark, forcing you to shoot into the darkness. Luckily, all enemies in this game like to yell and announce their presence constantly, making it easy to kill them instantly. Basically, AI is retarded and I doubt it that increasing difficulty will increase their tactics.

PPS: Forgot the best scene. BJ's father makes him shoot his dog. I shot it instantly, screen goes black.. and then the father says, "Now shoot the dog." I was laughing so hard at it. They actually tried to make this emotional moment (one of the many) with a fucking dog that the player has spent like 30 seconds with, in cinematics. I had no emotional attachment to it whatsoever. Not to mention, it's a fucking dog made up of polygons. This game is beyond retarded, written by some B movie writer who failed at writing B movies.

PPPS: Read Shamus Young's articles. So glad I uninstalled this game after 30 mins. Also this:

:shredder:
sELa41r.jpg

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Is there a way to make this game not look blurry as hell? I turned off all AA, motion blur and depth of field and it still looks insanely blurry. There's a silly post-processing sharpness filter I don't want to use, but have to I guess, but there's got to be a way to turn these blur effects off right? Even if it's in the ini file or something?

Late edit: I think it's the fog, tons of fog throughout the game. There are comparison pics out there of it modded out and it looks much more crisp looking, but also it looks super weird because it's built around the fog. Oh well, it looks fine once you get used to it.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished this. Nobody cares, so I'll keep it brief, but I enjoyed it a good bit. Good combat, nice weapons, open-ish levels but not open world, cool art design. I recently replayed Return to Castle Wolfenstein and this game is just as open as that one, people need to check their nostalgia goggles if they think otherwise. I played one difficulty level above normal and it was a solid challenge without being annoying. Just like The New Order though the story is WAY too focused on. Long, long cutscenes that just take away from the pacing. I don't even mind the story really, I like how crazy it gets and the alternate-history thing. It's just way too much of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom