Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
What it probably means is.. "I play a rogue because I wanna be a high damage leather wearer.. You Dumb fuck"

...and I'm too dim to invest in abilities that'll get me out of trouble before I get beat down as the squishy little fuck that I am.

Goons. Goons never change.

This is just people feeling out how much they can Min / Max before they die.
Perfectly normal in a new game.

I expect Sawyer to adjust rogue health by 1.3525 (repeating) over the course of the next 18 months.

Cross

Arcane
Was Deadfire even marketed as a spiritual successor?
It was heavily marketed that way, and still is.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/560130/Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire/

Immerse yourself in a deeper single player RPG game experience - enriched with cutting edge technology and features, Deadfire builds on the foundation of classic D&D gameplay with vastly improved graphics, deeper game mechanics and a whole new hand-crafted adventure where choices truly matter.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Its a fucking beta update, tell me about it if they don't deliver a figstarter promised feature.

Isn't the current multiclassing system a broken promise?

Probably nobody else here cares, but also this...

In our companion write-ups, you will see some characters described as class a/class b. This does not mean that they are forced to be multiclassed, but that the character's 1st level must be from one of those classes. For example, Edér's class is fighter/rogue. From level 2 on, you may advance Edér as you see fit, but his first class must be either fighter or rogue. This gives you the ability to customize your party companions while not fundamentally deviating heavily from their core character concept. Note that some other characters, like Aloth, must always start from a single class because it is more central to their concept. You may multiclass Aloth as a wizard/fighter, a wizard/barbarian, or a wizard/cipher, but his first class will always be wizard.

Parabalus

Arcane
Er.. yes.

He says "if you don't want your rogue to feel squishy, let go of your AD&D expectations of how a rogue should be outfitted".

The AD&D expectation is "Your rogue feels squishy? Gee, you should have rolled another class!".

Its a fucking beta update, tell me about it if they don't deliver a figstarter promised feature.

In our companion write-ups, you will see some characters described as class a/class b. This does not mean that they are forced to be multiclassed, but that the character's 1st level must be from one of those classes. For example, Edér's class is fighter/rogue. From level 2 on, you may advance Edér as you see fit, but his first class must be either fighter or rogue. This gives you the ability to customize your party companions while not fundamentally deviating heavily from their core character concept. Note that some other characters, like Aloth, must always start from a single class because it is more central to their concept. You may multiclass Aloth as a wizard/fighter, a wizard/barbarian, or a wizard/cipher, but his first class will always be wizard.

Yeah, I meant this, the original (now scrapped) idea with power source and free mixing of classes, the one they ditched for the current Bg2 system. Dunno if that was in the pitch itself to constitute as a "broken promise", but IMO the change is for the better.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Er.. yes.

He says "if you don't want your rogue to feel squishy, let go of your AD&D expectations of how a rogue should be outfitted".

Which is common sense.
Now you can defend the idea that they're squeeshier in deadfire than in AD&D in leather.

Also yeah, it's not even debatable that they market poe and deadfire as IE games successors. I wouldn't be surprised i they did for Tyranny as well (although I have no memory of how its promotion went).

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Was Deadfire even marketed as a spiritual successor? PoE1 sure, but Deadfire?

IIRC Infinitron even posted how JES is happy to be letting go off IE baggage.

It is being marketed as such at least in the intro of the last preview, and I guess in other previews, but in general they have winded down the namedropping. Like I wrote, I will also judge Deadfire by how it measures up to PoE.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I'm curious if we can rebuild their stats though..
I don't mind if Aloth is always a wizard.. but can I make him a wizard that isn't shit?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
So pre-buffing is cancer, but before each battle I should:

Change my armor to match or beat enemy attack penetration values.
Change my weapon set to penetrate through enemy armor values.
Adjust weapon modals in case that's not enough.
Change my wizard's grimoire in case my spell selection is not optimal.

Color me skeptical.
No.
What I meant is that if you want your rogue to dual wield dagger in leather armor, then good for you. But don't whine about enemies who tank pierce/slash damage, just have another, secondary weapon set.
Changing armor to make your character significantly more durable is something to consider, but then again you're free to go with leather all the time. And to whine about the squeeshiness of it.

I mean, it's tactical considerations. There are situations when you want your modal on, some when you want your modal off. Some where you have to reconsider the weaponry, and some where you could benefit from lighter/heavier armor. Not all at the same time and whatever you're facing.

Now yeah, pre-buffing is anoying specifically because there is no situation where casting bless/chant/duhs is to be considered, it's a no brainer.

That is why it is a party game,everyone have some kind of role and doesn't go around switching armours and weapons every minute. Armour is switched when you are against some kind of big bad asshole with some kind of specific damage type. I don't care if my rogues goes down after he is killed half the enemy group. He is made for dps and light armour gives him that bonus attacks. Nobody is really going around changing armours every battle because he can take a little bit more damage. Unless they go for a solo game on harder difficulty.

Quillon

Arcane
I don't mind if Aloth is always a wizard.. but can I make him a wizard that isn't shit?

They really should. I'm not sure what's Josh's obsession with locked stats, personally I never look at/consider their attributes when I'm thinking about their personality :P

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
That is why it is a party game,everyone have some kind of role and doesn't go around switching armours and weapons every minute. Armour is switched when you are against some kind of big bad asshole with some kind of specific damage type. I don't care if my rogues goes down after he is killed half the enemy group. He is made for dps and light armour gives him that bonus attacks. Nobody is really going around changing armours every battle because he can take a little bit more damage. Unless they go for a solo game on harder difficulty.

Come on, again, I never talked about changing everything at every fight. It's just cool to have another layer for tactics through gear. And, again, we were talking of the specific situation where people complain that rogues are inhenrently too squeeshy.
Play your rogue in leather with high damage sneak attacks, it's perfectly fine.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

That will be particularly hard when every caster is shit....according to Lacrymas and few other beta players. Used him for his standard attack that does splash damage and a few stun spells. Just paralyse them or prone them and let the party do the rest. I don't even remember using any damage spells in the PoE,ah there was one ball that jumps around and do some decent damage.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

They really should. I'm not sure what's Josh obsession with locked stats, personally I never look at/consider their attributes when I'm thinking about their personality :P

I think it's for flavor. Back when you recruited companions in IE games, their stats were meant to fit their personalities like you said.
That's cool too.. On my first playthrough I might just roll with it..

If I play the game again on POTD though, I'd like to continue using companions I like and adjust their stats to not be hot shit or to suit some composition I'm going for. Instead of hiring Bob #2 - #5 from the tavern.

Parabalus

Arcane

They really should. I'm not sure what's Josh obsession with locked stats, personally I never look at/consider their attributes when I'm thinking about their personality :P

I think it's for flavor. Back when you recruited companions in IE games, their stats were meant to fit their personalities like you said.

If I play the game again on POTD though, I'd like to continue using companions I like and adjust their stats to not be hot shit or to suit some composition I'm going for. Instead of hiring Bob #2 - #5 from the tavern.

Core problem is PotD isn't hard enough to warrant a Superman/thought out party - hopefully PoE2 is more receptive to mods which solves both issues.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Core problem is PotD isn't hard enough to warrant a Superman/thought out party - hopefully PoE2 is more receptive to mods which solves both issues.

It's more about just experimenting with builds / min - maxing.
It's more fun to min max your group than just one character. Especially if your going for some kind of synergy.

Josh put all this time into making a homogeneous class system that hates itself. Might as well let me play with it.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Come on, again, I never talked about changing everything at every fight. It's just cool to have another layer for tactics through gear. And, again, we were talking of the specific situation where people complain that rogues are inhenrently too squeeshy.
Play your rogue in leather with high damage sneak attacks, it's perfectly fine.
Hahaha,not peaking a fight with you here mate,even agreeing. I was going more for a discussion ;). I too like to stockpile armours that look like they could be useful in some situations in future battles. But i don't remember a game that i actually did use them,most of the times i just replay the battle a few times until i find good strategy and win. Now i am replaying Geneforge 2 and the exit of the town is filled with all kind of items that give me +x% of some resistance...i am well aware that i will never use them on my solo agent because i already finished the game on harder difficulty without using them.
:negative: Really miss the Morrowind Museum idea. Don't know why nobody came up with it again. Collecting strong artefacts and having them on display in your stronghold is kind of fun idea.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
From that interview I take it that Katrina is also accountable for the uglified companion portraits?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom