Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion turns 10 years old

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I'm not trying to be facetious here, but does anyone really care about shadows in first person/third person games that don't involve stealth?
Oblivion sure does have stealth, BTW...

I think the_shadow meant stealth being a major aspect of the game's design.

bloodlover

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-26-in-defence-of-oblivion

Oblivion is so much more than the forgotten bridge between Morrowind and Skyrim. It is the game that pulled the western RPG kicking and screaming into the mainstream.

If you're lucky enough to own an Xbox One X, you can play the 360 version in stunning, smooth-as-butter 4K with magically increased detail thanks to its improbably good backward compatibility modes

Made me giggle.

Oblivion is so much more than the forgotten bridge between Morrowind and Skyrim. It is the game that pulled the western RPG kicking and screaming into the mainstream.

If you're lucky enough to own an Xbox One X, you can play the 360 version in stunning, smooth-as-butter 4K with magically increased detail thanks to its improbably good backward compatibility modes

Made me giggle.

That's quite the blow job piece there, you'd almost think there weren't two Diablo games years before that made hack and slash games mainstream.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Truly work of art

48220-0-1512573406.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Made me giggle.

Heh 4K is of course more important than the fact that the X-Box version is a fruitless exercise with the level scaling which makes exploration and leveling pointless.

Ash

Arcane
Skyrim and oblivion merged as one in a sense...nuke it from orbit!

Codex seemingly hates oblivion more, but Skyrim pisses me off by far the most, mainly because it dumbed down gameplay even further than oblivion did and is also bethesda's most successful game (undeservedly so -- by selling out) with tons of non-gamers hyping it to the heavens and you just want to slap some sense into them but can't, because most of the counter examples as to what a good RPG actually plays like are old and therefore "ugly and dated".

:argh:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
No where else to pst this video but it's worth showing off.

Whore from the past which you loved cause you didn't know for the better (and she does have that something besides venereal disease despite being whore) has put better make up on and sent you some teaser pics via messenger.

The message from her now shows seen by me, I just might even go to her place for a quick one of couple hours if memories save is compatible but I'll never again waste serious precious time on her.

Good for me and good fucking riddance! Don't fall for her tricks, kiddoes.

passerby

Arcane
Modern texture/modelling techniques rely so much on material + baked ambient occlusion + normal map and little diffussion texture detail painting/photoshopping, that it looks a little like photorealistic rendering of clay models.

Seethe

Arbiter
Skyrim and oblivion merged as one in a sense...nuke it from orbit!

Codex seemingly hates oblivion more, but Skyrim pisses me off by far the most, mainly because it dumbed down gameplay even further than oblivion did and is also bethesda's most successful game (undeservedly so -- by selling out) with tons of non-gamers hyping it to the heavens and you just want to slap some sense into them but can't, because most of the counter examples as to what a good RPG actually plays like are old and therefore "ugly and dated".

:argh:

Honestly, their effort is to be appreciated, but why would you create a pile of shit from two different piles of shit is beyond me.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected

The Skyblivion guys are also redoing the OST, I think it sounds pretty good.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Saying Oblivion is one of the best games ever made is used in some hospitals to diagnose traumatic brain injury.

Kalon

Scholar
I don't know about "fun" but some people call it "comfy". It certainly has a certain soothing, not to say snoozing, quality. Also the only way to enjoy that game is to play it drunk.

Feels weird to quote a post from 5 years ago but the point of these mods is to have something in your portfolio. It's still code. Didn't Obsidian hired the guy who made OOO?

Maldoror

Scholar
I've played thousands of hours of Oblivion over the years. At the very least, I played through all of the content in the game, unlike Skyrim, where I could never bring myself to try the Dragonborn DLC.
Weird to think that in three years, Oblivion will be 20 years old! The leveling system will always be awful, but Oblivion is probably the comfiest game in the series overall. There's not much like exploring the Blackwood on a rainy evening, with the tremendous and atmospheric music accompanying the delve into the darkened swamplands. Maybe exploring the Bitter Coast in Morrowind is a little close.

Didn't Obsidian hired the guy who made OOO?
Yes.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've played thousands of hours of Oblivion over the years. At the very least, I played through all of the content in the game, unlike Skyrim, where I could never bring myself to try the Dragonborn DLC.
Weird to think that in three years, Oblivion will be 20 years old! The leveling system will always be awful, but Oblivion is probably the comfiest game in the series overall. There's not much like exploring the Blackwood on a rainy evening, with the tremendous and atmospheric music accompanying the delve into the darkened swamplands. Maybe exploring the Bitter Coast in Morrowind is a little close.

Didn't Obsidian hired the guy who made OOO?
Yes.
Well, heavily modded Oblivion is enjoyable (if you forget about the lore and just enjoy it for what it is). But it was still one of the greatest disappointments when it came out and it took a great amount of effort by modders to make it decent. Plus it takes an effort to install good mods in a way they don't break each other (same for Morrowind). But yes, beneath popamole there's still some decent content underneath, some interesting quests and an alright AI, with mods also exploration.

Although I hated it for what it has been on the release day, in the end I still spent quite some time with mods once some good ones came out (like OOO):
D0ECAAACC840392048DCEF41907A18369DCC342E

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom