Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

AMID EVIL - Heretic/Hexen-inspired FPS from the creators of Return of the Triad mod

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Double kill!
Triple kill!
Multi kill!
Ultra kill!
Super kill!
Uber kill!

This shit doesn't work when you are fighting waves of AI monsters. They really didn't think this through.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Woohoo more retro throwback shit by mongoloids who have too much time and unity engine.
Why do these brainlets still buy this garbage, it's everywhere, Strafe, Dusk, this, Ion Maiden. It's just retards aping off 20 year old games that they probably only played the shareware versions of one time.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
a·mid
əˈmid/
preposition
preposition: amid
surrounded by; in the middle of.
"our dream home, set amid magnificent rolling countryside"
synonyms: in the middle of, surrounded by, among, amongst; More
literaryamidst, in the midst of
"the jeep was concealed amid pine trees"
in an atmosphere or against a background of.
"talks broke down amid accusations of a hostile takeover bid"
synonyms: at a time of, in an atmosphere of, against a background of;
as a result of
"the truce collapsed amid fears of a revolt"

... TIL amid is an english word, I thought the game's title is half Arab.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.pcgamer.com/amid-evil-i...e-you-shoot-armored-angels-with-tiny-planets/

Amid Evil is a strange and sinister fantasy FPS where you shoot armored angels with tiny planets

By Norm Steadman 2 hours ago

A truly weird (and beautiful) fantasy setting lays the groundwork for a worthy ode to Heretic.

The day I saw the introductory trailer for New Blood Interactive’s new Heretic-inspired shooter Amid Evil, I felt a call to action. I felt a call not to “reclaim our weapons,” or “save our lands,” as the narrator begged, but rather to explore the bizarre purple hallways and massive temples of whatever land this may be. I’ll get around to saving it later, I promise.

Like a kid trying to make sense of a Dungeons and Dragons ad in a 1980’s comic book, I had seen only the tiniest slice of this world, but instantly I wanted to know everything about it. I wanted to buy the tie-in novels for this game. I wanted there to be a Magic: The Gathering expansion set for Amid Evil just to read the flavor text on the cards. I entered Amid Evil with questions about the whos, whats, and whys. Now, having taken the plunge and examined every low-res inch of the pre-alpha, I can provide only the faintest whiff of an answer:

I do not belong here.

They did not want to be friends.

The first clue was that I got my ass kicked by the first guy. As I approach the first level’s moon temple entrance I'm greeted by pair of goons, as one might expect. Unlike standard-issue level one goons, however, these guys are not at all interested in serving as target practice. They're fast, aggressive, and out for blood because they do not want me in their moon temple. They rush with axes, dead set on keeping me out. Armed with an axe of my own, I swing and pray, leaving behind some disembodied heads and a lot of my HP.

At half health now, I poke around for some health orbs, since I apparently need them. I'm embarrassed for even considering the “hard” difficulty portal before deciding to choose the medium setting. I love a challenge, but really, I'm here to explore. I can test my mechanical skill later on the included horde mode, but for now I want to see how deep this temple was built into the surrounding cavern, and what lunar god it serves. While the fight was good fun, I'm more interested in the cryptic messages etched into the temple walls. “Our Leader, guardian of the moon, he now dreams of death and pain,” reads on. Tough times at the moon temple, I reckon.

Unfortunately, the goons (and later advanced goons and mega-goons) are having none of it. I can outrun them but only for so long, as they have a nasty habit of leaping through the vertical spaces in the level to catch up with me. I quickly shift my mindset—I'm no Doomslayer here. My faceless character is not an unstoppable force, but a mortal in way over his head. Even the tools at my disposal are unfamiliar: mana-powered swords and sticks that fire off projectiles like green arcs of energy and homing blue bolts, and a staff that shoots explosive planets. Tight.

Use your Soul Power with the planet-shooting staff and it'll start shooting stars.

Fortunately, the soul meter system does provide moments of pure fragging catharsis at regular intervals. Killed enemies drop souls and if you collect enough of them to fill the meter, your weapons become greatly empowered for a short time. Naturally, you are encouraged to use your empowered weapons to take down as many goons as possible, which in turn drops more souls, keeping the party rolling until you run out of goons. As enjoyable as it is to take down a clump of helpless monsters in a typical shooter, it is doubly gratifying to erase a room full of bastards who had legitimately been kicking my ass for the last 10 minutes.

Soul Power turns every weapon into a legit goon-deleter.

The levels do a great job of re-using space periodically to provide anchor points. You dive deeper and deeper into unfamiliar territory, looping back to a central area after making significant progress, like obtaining a key or triggering a button. I feel like I am always seeing something new, slightly disoriented at times, but rarely lost.

Near the end of the second level I wrap up a big soul power fight staged in a large open arena. I'm starting to get a grip on things, falling into a familiar rhythm of combat, exploration, and more combat. I'm beginning to feel comfortable, having won enough big fights to regain the pride I had lost when I nearly died to the first enemy in the game. I scan the walls and floor of the ruined celestial cathedral for the button that would open a door to the next room, or perhaps produce an elevator to the arena’s second floor. When I find it and step on it, this weird thing happens:

Is that an arcane ramp or are you just happy to see me?

Look at that thing. What even is it? Who made it, and why? It leads to the second floor, but I slip off of it the first time I try to ascend, shattering my brief sense of confidence. It is too narrow and oddly curved to climb it comfortably, cementing the feeling I had throughout the playthrough: this place wasn't meant for me. The beings of Amid Evil’s world aren’t like us. Their too-tall, too-narrow doorways weren’t constructed with clumsy humans in mind. The gods they serve aren’t interested in my mission to cleanse their realm of evil. All of the levels hold bizarre, illogical surprises like this.

While I only played through 12 of the 28 levels that will be available in the final release, the dark, opaque world makes Amid Evil one of the least predictable shooters I’ve played in recent memory, proof that simple graphics can be as powerful and mystifying as anything your 1080 Ti can render. The maps, small bits of lore, enemies and environments flawlessly ride the line of being weird, but clearly purposeful. Nothing here is weird for weird’s sake, which makes it all the more compelling when it doesn’t make much sense at first.

Compared to other retro FPS games, there hasn't been anything like it for some time. In DOOM, I’m very aware of my destination: I’m going to Hell and I’m going to frag some demons when I get there. The world is telling me a story, just not a very fresh one. In Serious Sam, I don’t know where I’m going but I’m very aware that it doesn’t matter. Desert level, jungle level, and so on. Sam's world isn’t telling me a story at all.

Amid Evil sits in the middle of this spectrum with a story to tell, but not one where I can guess the ending. Somebody built these uncomfortable platforms. Something stalked these tombs long before I got here. There’s a war here between astral and lunar cultists and humanity’s last hope thrust in-between, fighting for a world where he does not belong. Every space is imbued with a sense of history and purpose that makes Amid Evil's arcane fantasy feel grounded, as eccentric as it is. It's not just a string of big shooting arenas for the sake of it (but that stuff is good fun too).

And even though I don't belong there, I can’t wait to dig even deeper into the weird, pretty world of Amid Evil.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
So now that the Early Access version is out, I can talk a bit about Amid Evil. I played a test branch of the Early Access version a week or so ago. I've always been critical of the visual style of the game (didn't really like the color usage that much) and thought the game looked garish and not that great. I got a key because of a semi-rant on Twitter about it, and promptly booted the game to see for myself.
Honestly, the videos really don't do the game justice because a whole lot of detail is lost to video compression. The game looks pretty good in motion, especially the third episode that reminded me of the first Tomb Raider a lot. My only problem with color is found in early Episode 1, the rest of the game looks good for the most part, with some great style at times (E1M2 comes to mind, this map is a real beast and one I wish I had made cause it's brilliant at times). The weapon viewmodels are apparently lightmapped sprites, which is pretty amazing considering how good they look.

The level design ranges from good to very good. There was not a single bad level in the version I played. E1M1 is very tame/simple but things get serious as soon as E1M2, which is very open and has vertical layers serpenting around. The game uses very little enclosed, Painkiller-like arenas which is very welcome. The third Episode has a lot of exploration gameplay too which I liked a lot (especially in E3M1). The Episodes only have three main levels and one boss each, but there are 7 Episodes planned total, each with its own style.

The game itself is a lot of fun. All the weapons are great to use and pack a punch. Even the base axe feels very powerful. My favorite weapons are the trident thing and the Mace of Torment which I find extremely fun. The weapons have an alternative, even more powerful attack once you gain enough souls from fallen enemies. It acts exactly as the Tome of Power from Heretic/Hexen, but I find it more interesting in Amid Evil since you actually have to fight to trigger it a vast majority of the time (and you can chain it with greater soul pickups). In the version I played the enemies didn't bleed much and had almost no pain frames; I wonder if that was changed because it was a bit distracting and it was hard to tell whether I was actually hurting them at times.

Overall, Amid Evil is a cool game. It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel but it's a solid Heretic-like in some aspects. It runs well, has cool level design, great weaponry and feels good to play.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, the colors are a bit too colorful, sometimes it's like you're on LSD. For some reason I find it hard to read the text, and the HUD messages and elements are too large in my opinion.

PrettyDeadman

Is it better than Ion Maiden or Dusk?
It's on par.
They all seem kinda week at first glance as weapons lack punch (compared to Duke Nukem \ Blood \ Hexen ), but it starts to be okay once you get used to it.
I'd say its level design is closer to Ion Maiden than to Dusk (which is very simplistic, at least in first part). There isn't as much destructible environment or secrets as in Ion Maide, but the game has a lot of verticality, a combination of open spaces where you can see other parts of level which are not easily reachable and closed off environments: smaller rooms, tunnels, corridors, elevators and etc. For some reason it reminds me about first Unreal Tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my money, this is the only retro-inspired FPS that's actually decent. Great weapons, cool levels, looks nice - although a little too "dirty" for my taste. I like the point-filtered textures and all, but there's a certain granularity to the image that I don't really like.

You get used to it, though. Definitely buying this one.

edit: game is really good. The weapons are definitely the highlight for me, but the levels are pretty good as well - they're big but not huge.

Nice enemy variety, too. This is on another league compared to all these faux-retro FPS of late.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://steamcommunity.com/games/673130/announcements/detail/2894038190189035867

The End Draws Near...

giphy.gif

Champions!

The seventh and final episode of AMID EVIL is nearly upon us.

You've already had your first look at The Void...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/673130/announcements/detail/1636405987619998841

But that's not all we've been working on as we come toward the finale of your journey...

You may have noticed we've recently started updating previous episodes of AMID EVIL

Episode 3: The Sacred Path just received a major overhaul that added several tweaks...
  • NEW lore
  • NEW enemies
  • NEW gameplay elements
  • and more...
giphy.gif

We believe the increased enemy variety along with more situational use of your arsenal against them...

giphy.gif

Makes for an overall stronger experience - something we're going to be bringing to other episodes as well!

giphy.gif

One of the few complaints we've received during Early Access is that weapons don't feel situational enough in certain scenarios or against certain enemy types. And while that's not entirely true - we're going to be going back and updating the levels so that certain enemies and scenarios are definitely appropriate for distinct weapons.

giphy.gif

You'll already notice that in Episode 3, explosive weapons now destroy rock enemies easily, the water staff douses fire enemies, the axe rips through plant life and the trident electrifies underwater enemies (because that all kind of makes sense!)

giphy.gif

We'll be making these sort of changes to each episode so keep an eye out - and when in doubt - USE THE AXE OF THE BLACK LABYRINTH. (it's not just some weak default axe, okay?)

20ffbd676d220da2b64c39bb1f81f4f8a9c7716b.jpg

But I digress...

We've also been adding more story, lore and environmental storytelling to the game. And not JUST new voice overs, and not JUST new lore written on the walls...

The gateway will now change depending on what episode you've finished.

You may now notice the night stars will come out after defeating the Moon Guardian of Episode 1

5ce15ec8a7a71800d58fd550f57e4428a7f81760.jpg

Or it's now a foggy afternoon as you head toward Episode 3

e415377159eb4291e2ac55b3d28f146e9172628d.jpg

Or it's become dark as midnight after defeating the Solar Saint of Episode 4

33821346eae072460679ed5ebc4a5ae58bdeb1f2.jpg

Or that something seems EVIL as you prepare to enter The Void...

1d70b8be12fb95b310f29fd4029d166a424282c0.jpg

4f3c5f7fa903b44d8ecbfba392e933716e0138ad.jpg

efcdc7474666e78877d29b2844459c40ac676e27.jpg

What we're aiming to do with this is create a continuously engaging and varied experience throughout these seven distinct worlds as you're guided along by the Voice of the Ancients in order to defeat this cursed evil and save their lands...

giphy.gif

Speaking of the voice of the Ancients: please give a virtual round of applause to our VA, Tamara Ryan - she's been incredible to work with and you should hire her to work on your projects, too! http://www.tamararyanvo.com/

giphy.gif

Thank you to everyone who've helped us build AMID EVIL into the game it is today! And thank you to everyone who has spread the good word of New Blood! Thanks to you, AMID EVIL is now the highest rated FPS on Steam. Now it's time to finish off this evil once and for all...

The end draws near, champions... are you prepared?!

5a438c33fc867d6300e1d447825d0157faf1cbef.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Final episode, June 20th (or 19th): https://steamcommunity.com/games/673130/announcements/detail/1599255098313266039

The FINAL Test.

8eaab66ff0a3a0dd0816ffcfea7bba686f6da14e.png

Champions! One FINAL test awaits you...

The EVIL has found us...

SOON it will be too late...

The moment you've been waiting for has arrived...

giphy.gif

The FINAL Episode of AMID EVIL (Episode 7: The Void)
Will be released on June 20th, 2019

But TRUE champions who already own the game in Early Access?

You may take the descent into darkness
one day earlier on June 19th

Yes, it has been a long and arduous journey, and you have made it this far...

But this final test... shall be your hardest yet.

giphy.gif

GOOD LUCK.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I dunno what happened but thankfully there has been an influx of genuinely inclined FPS games... Amid Evil, Dusk, Project Warlock, Ion Maiden (and that engine rewrite of Blood)

Curratum

Now out of early access and fully released a day early for everyone, not just EA buyers! Enjoy!

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It just came out of Early Access including the new seventh episode. And all I can say about it is...

...is that it's right boring.

It follows the Unreal school of level design where enemy placement and level layout don't make much of a difference for combat encounters because every enemy will beeline straight towards you to claw your face off or beeline straight towards you while shooting something that's always circlestrafeable, because no enemy in this game leads their shots. Nor is any enemy in AMID EVIL remotely as capable or threatening as the Skaarj. The end result is that a lot of enemy encounters just bleed together.

It wouldn't be quite accurate to say that the level design is shit. There are rarely any problems with navigability, and visually AMID EVIL is likely one of the most visually creative and impressive shooters of the boomer shooter lineage, and complex are the layouts themselves for exploration. But the enemy encounters are just flaccid, and the biggest reason for this is that the enemy cast is effectively hamstrung because of the pants-on-head :retarded: decision that every enemy type is locked to its own 4-level episode for all seven episodes. That means that in total there are quite a lot of enemies in AMID EVIL, however it also means that only a seventh of the enemy cast can be used at any given point, which greatly restricts the potential for enemy encounters through combining different enemy types, even though said fusing of enemy types is what makes games like Quake, DOOM and Serious Sam so strong. This also means that the cooler enemies will never return. A knight with a shield which can deflect your attack? Appears in only one episode. A wizard which can actually dodgeroll your shit like the Skaarj did? Appears in only one episode. An enemy which grapples you towards him? Appears in only one episode.

Because every episode can only have like 4-5 enemy types, diversity in enemies in encounters overall is fairly low, meaning the need to switch between weapons during encounters isn't that high, so you can just stick to the single best weapon for the situation. This is further compounded by the fact that some enemies have weapon-specific weaknesses and resistances, so often there's only one highly recommended weapon you'd even want to use against said enemy instead of using one most suitable for the situation, removing a lot of the decision-making and tension that game from having to briefly stop firing and switch to a more suitable weapon. Frequently you'll be using the Axe which can oneshot the weaker melee rusher enemies which almost universally appear across episodes (even though prior enemies get flushed down the toilet each episode some basic archetypes do often come back to life as reskins), and the game spams these homogeneous melee rusher encounters way too often which just involves holding down your attack button to swing axe and kill everything that runs into your range. It also would be nice for a change for there to be a ranged attack enemy whose projectiles can't be dodged by simply strafing, even though the game tries to make the projectiles look visually unique per enemy when they're all functionally identical.

The Soul Mode power is also just a poorly realized mechanic. It's basically a Tome of Power from Heretic on-demand which is activated by picking up souls of the fallen like in Painkiller. Once you have enough souls, the next time you press Fire Soul Mode is automatically activated. Meaning you don't have much control over when to use it unless you want to abstain from using your weapons for as long as possible. This leads to often wasting your Soul Mode power against a small heap of enemies against which it was plain overkill, while you don't have enough souls for the moments where you would need the extra firepower. Thankfully there is an option in the option menu to allow you to activate Soul Mode with the alternate fire button instead of the main fire button, so you can use your Soul Mode where you see fit. Though the option subtext still implies that doing it the original way is the best way because the levels were designed around having your Soul Mode activate at certain points, in which case I retort that you could just sidestep the ambiguity of when to activate Soul Mode by just placing a Quad Damage-like power-up before the situations which are designed around it. Which I might add, the game already has and uses in the form of instant Full Soul Bar pick-ups. As it is AMID EVIL is just being different for the sake of being different when it comes to integrating Quad Damage/Tome of Power-like power-ups in their game, as they're relying on the problematic Painkiller implementation of grabbing souls where you have to waste time doing another lap around a battlefield to pick up the hard-to-see souls from the enemies you just killed, whereas they could've just as well spared me the discomfort and have my Soul Bar automatically fill on killing enemies.

I would also add that this is one of the few games where the verticality in levels becomes a headache, because this game isn't shy of some first-person platforming and falling off ledges is always likely. Meaning several levels will have you walking up the same stretch over and over, which can become downright ridiculous or lengthy in some of the taller levels. The main culprit behind this is a lack of vertical shortcuts to save you the travel time, which are sorely lacking in AMID EVIL. Though at least you can planetjump.

It also doesn't help that the game is on the easier side even on the highest difficulty with warrior mode (this game's pistol start) enabled, as enemies largely seem to deal only chip damage while health pick-ups are plentiful. Only Episode 6 proved to be a sharp increase in difficulty.

If I were to compare this game to DUSK, DUSK was an ugly game with about as incompetently realized enemy encounters, but it had some creative gameplay gimmicks that made individual levels and setpieces stand out more, and at least DUSKMARE difficulty provided a worthy challenge. Whereas AMID EVIL looks visually pleasing (save for the color vomit most of the time) and the level layouts are highly varied, the enemy encounters are just as incompetently realized, but without a good baseline difficulty or some interesting gimmicks to keep things fresh. Andrew Hulshult did the soundtrack for both games, where AMID EVIL's is decidedly the weaker one as I guess he doesn't have too much experience in creating fantasy-themed scores, as a good deal of it sounds bland and generic, though at least ambient themes can be decent.

If I had to sum it up, expect some pretty and pretty complex levels with very basic repetitive combat. Don't expect too much of the boss fights either. I hear talk of a game mode in development where enemies of one episode will also appear in others, but who knows when we're going to get that.

I give it 0.8 DUSKs. And for the love of god, turn on Temporal Anti-Aliasing in the options menu or else your eyes will dry to a crisp.

More extended thoughts will follow in the future.

Thanks for the writeup! Even though I wishlisted it and was interested in it I'd been steering clear more than I did with Dusk because the enemies and weapons seemed less interesting to me. Hadn't watched a ton of gameplay but what I did didn't interest me as much as Dusk or hell, even Ion Maiden. Sounds like it will be worth picking up eventually but it's definitely no rush. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom