Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Perkel

Arcane
Seems that Bunnyhopping really was a thing in most FPS engines in the late 90s. Even Thief: The Dark Project has it, where if you do it well enough you build up terminal velocity and die if you touch anything other than the ground.

Both Thief games (and tons of other FPS games, even modern ones) also have the secondary glitch that you go faster if you move along two axis at the same time.

Bunny hopping was mainly used for avoiding AOE damage and in general it was harded to kill someone when they jumped around while strafing.

Q3 version of it was just bug that was not patched and for some reason it build up "creed" among players which is hilarious imo.
I never understood it. You think you would make legit mechanic out of it and fix bug but no ! Larpers want them stefe jumps instead of normal jumps that could accelerate because they are cool people.

Kitchen Utensil

No, they like it because it requires skill and it's one of the most satisfying movement systems to master. It's what seperates Quake from other competitive First Person Shooters. Painkiller bunny hopping for example feels so dull when you know how intricate movement mechanics can be.

Perkel

Arcane
No, they like it because it requires skill and it's one of the most satisfying movement systems to master. It's what seperates Quake from other competitive First Person Shooters. Painkiller bunny hopping for example feels so dull when you know how intricate movement mechanics can be.

It is a fucking bug.

I see no reason why developers couldn't make out of it legit mechanic (meaning removing jank from it and making player accelerate constantly regardless if he jumps or not).
Instead you have janky implementation because it is not implementation but a bug which developed bunch of sperglord "creed".

lightbane

Arcane
Why is it that Overwatch seems to be played mostly by loonies? Then again, that video the devs made about sitting and not doing anything for hours getting lots of views explains a lot about the player base.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
Isn't Twitch moderating free? Or at least most of the ones, and not ones like that Overwatch League one? So why is he moderating a hundred of them? Why would people pay money to a Patreon for a chat moderator? Also who the fuck sends their nude photos to a Twitch moderator? I don't understand any of this, but then again I don't understand why anyone would want to play Overwatch either.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Why is it that Overwatch seems to be played mostly by loonies? Then again, that video the devs made about sitting and not doing anything for hours getting lots of views explains a lot about the player base.
Casual cuck game that has easy ossom buttan gameplay where you kill everything by pressing the ultimate button and cartoony characters that draw wymens to play it.

Kitchen Utensil

It is a fucking bug.

I see no reason why developers couldn't make out of it legit mechanic (meaning removing jank from it and making player accelerate constantly regardless if he jumps or not).
Instead you have janky implementation because it is not implementation but a bug which developed bunch of sperglord "creed".

You are so utterly retarded, lol.

Yes, it was originally a bug, but it became a feature. It is in fact so legit that there are multiple mods which are partially or even entirely dedicated to this "janky implementation". Jesus Christ, git gud or go play one of those countless FPSs which don't require any skill for movement and stop talking about stuff you know nothing about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perkel

Arcane
Any reason why character need to actually jump stafing to accelerate other than sperglords claiming it is skillful ?
Why character can't accelerate just by jumping or just by running ?

Answer: Because sperglords decided that they are xXx_LLNoScopeKillaLL_xXx and they don't want actually mechanic such as this but be cool goth kids.

Reminds me of all those idiots back in the day claiming how fucking amazing they are doing rocketjumps while i just macro that shit loling at them.

Perkel

Arcane
Strafe jumping isn't hard to do.

It is not about something being hard or not.
It is about something being logical.

Acceleration is the mechanic which seems to be liked by people.
Instead of making it default attribute of jump it stays behind completely idiotic bug related strafe jumping.

Why ?

----------

Imagine using UT99 side hop instead of double tapping right or left you need to triple tap. This is basically idea behind Q3 acceleration jumping. Needlessly complicated for no reason (or just unfixed bug)

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Rocket jumping was a bug that they decided to leave in, would you demand that it be fixed so that players cannot be bounced with explosives, or that all jumps must behave like rocket jumps?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Skiing in Tribes was a tiny movement bug that built the foundation for a whole new genre named FPS-Z.
Better fix it nao!!!!!

Perkel

Arcane
Sperglords full in force lol

Yes i would have problem with rocket jump if i had to instead of doing 180 down turn and fire, input AASD combination and then double click left mouse button to do it.

Gerrard

Arcane
Rocket jumping was a bug that they decided to leave in, would you demand that it be fixed so that players cannot be bounced with explosives, or that all jumps must behave like rocket jumps?
How is rocket jumping "a bug"? The rocket explosion simply pushes entities away from its center, that's pretty fucking logical.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I only play CPMA-likes and I doubt it tbh, I'm shit at dealing with pick ups because I can't be bothered to learn maps and I only play arena modes but when it comes to actual aiming and 1v1 duel skill I could probably beat a lot of people here.

Viata

Arcane
I'm all for bugs and whatnot that allows the player to do crazy stuffs, no matter how hard said crazy stuffs are.
Thanks to a single bug in DMC 3, combos started to get truly crazy to the point you could do more fun stuffs that CG Dante:

If you never fucked up your thumb from doing too many Jump Cancel, you don't know how fun DMC 3 is.
Then Capcom saw that was the way people were playing DMC 3 and decided to included it in DMC4, but this time you had to pay for it(in-game cash, at least).:decline:
But, DMC4 still has the craziest combos ever, to the point you start using every single button in the joypad and a single mistake was enough to destroy all your combo. And we also got the best DMC 4 combo video ever:

Based be the bugs that allows people to do crazy stuffs to make the game even better. And based be the devs that doesn't punish the players for doing it(fixing it and whatnot).

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I only play CPMA-likes and I doubt it tbh, I'm shit at dealing with pick ups because I can't be bothered to learn maps and I only play arena modes but when it comes to actual aiming and 1v1 duel skill I could probably beat a lot of people here.

1v1 duel skill mostly comes down to intimate knowledge of map layouts and item respawn times for maximum efficiency. You can be awful at aiming and still beat someone simply by having great control of the map.

Don Peste

Arcane
What is an RPG?

ZHDrzIC.png

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
1v1 duel skill mostly comes down to intimate knowledge of map layouts and item respawn times for maximum efficiency. You can be awful at aiming and still beat someone simply by having great control of the map.
I'm well aware of that, and I don't enjoy that type of gameplay in the slightest. I don't think just getting the best first spawn on the map near red armor or mega health should should be able to get you such a massive lead of multiple kills early on if you are able to keep that ball rolling, and I feel that both players starting out on equal footing each death where it's skill vs skill and some degree of map knowledge is more fun to play for me. I can understand people enjoying that type of gameplay but the ring around the rosey of most non-arena modes is not for me, it just feels hopeless to me if another player gets the early lead and makes me want to call GG to just end it.
Of course, arena modes exclusively get boring after a while and it's among the reasons why I quit Reflex Arena, I enjoy the gameplay of Tribes a lot more when it comes to AFPS.

Perkel

Arcane
I'm all for bugs and whatnot that allows the player to do crazy stuffs, no matter how hard said crazy stuffs are.
Thanks to a single bug in DMC 3, combos started to get truly crazy to the point you could do more fun stuffs that CG Dante:

Point i am making isn't that such mechanics introduced by those bugs should be removed.
Point i am making is that for some reason people would rather choose idiotic implementation of it (because it was bug) rather than made into actual mechanic in game that is accesible without bullshit attached to bug (in case of Q3 jumping while strafing instead of just jumping). It is simply artificial complexity for sake of complexity and nothing else and what is worse it created cargo cult around it like all people here signaling their "coolness" by virtue of slapping some icon instead of actually coherently arguing with me.

If UT99 had bug where you could have 2 guns at the same time and people frequently used it to play game then makers of UT99 should introduce such mutator to the game so instead of doing some stupid combination that doesn't make sense you just get 2 guns from get go. (yes i know there is such mutator, i am just making point).

Rocket arena even became one of the ways people play Q3. It would be retarded if you would have to play it because of bug instead of making it a mod.

There is 0 reason why Q3 acceleration jumping can't be just standard feature of jump mechanic without strafing and no i don't buy argument that people want normal jumps because in Q3 while bunnyhopping you always move forward while strafing regardless if you are attacked or not because you don't have eyes on your back and doing so reduces chance of being hit IF someone is actually there.

Other point of argument is that there are some people who actually don't like jumping acceleration and don't want to play with it and would rather hold to original rules instead of broken mechanic.

edit:

I am willing to bet that if devs would fix that bug most of people would ignore mod that would give acceleration jumping and only minority would play with such mod/mutator. It is widely used because you have to use it in order to stay competitive even if you think it is bullshit and bug that should have been in game.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

In vanilla Q3, on vanilla Q3 maps, that is indeed the case. Less so in CPMA, on CPM maps. The quintessential map of that mode, CPM1A, has no red armor or megahealth, and is very compact, with not much horizontal distance. Controlling item spawns there is less important than moving around effectively and taking engagements from good positions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom