Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG CODEX™ 2017 - Dungeon Crawlers - RESULTS

makchanka

Arbiter
common sense is something that retards rely on in order to avoid having to learn anything.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
why is this shit stickied? are we publicly shaming Sigourn? the op doesn't even work any more.

The Management™ decided that, for some reason, it was better to leave this shit stickied as opposed to stickying the actual results. IMO, that thread and the Roguelikes results thread should both be stickied.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So update the OP with your results...

:M

angry.png

There you go.

Excellent list and further confirmation of this website's dedication to RPGs! I own (Ultima Underworld, Wizardry 6-8, etc.) and have played (Temple of Elemental Evil, Legend of Grimrock, Icewind Dale I, Dark Souls, etc.) though I have yet to complete any of these due to their combined length and my back catalog of games being the size of Mouth Rushmore.

I'm currently doing a personal challenge that I have dubbed "The Codexian Completionist Challenge" that I might post about in a new thread in the coming days if I feel up to it.

In the meantime I am focusing my Western RPG playtime to Wizards & Warriors. Enjoying it quite a bit so far and have really gotten a hang of the combat.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
how is dark souls a dungeon crawler? if it is then any game featuring underground combat could be considered a dungeon crawler

It's not a traditional dungeon crawler in that it is just one big dungeon and you explore it. But I do believe it is a dungeon crawler, because the world of Dark Souls feels like one big dungeon where you constantly unlock different locations. It's a vibe I just don't get from many other games.

Toby Tobacco

Literate
I like dark souls as much as the next person but I don't even see how it can be considered an rpg let alone a dungeon crawler. Its a great action game with minimal rpg elements. Maybe I'm being a big fag but to me dungeon crawlers are grid based real time or turn based rpg's and there is no deviating from that and still earning the title dungeon crawler. Except I'd call Daggerfall a dungeon crawler, I'd call Daggerfall my wife if I could.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I like dark souls as much as the next person but I don't even see how it can be considered an rpg let alone a dungeon crawler. Its a great action game with minimal rpg elements. Maybe I'm being a big fag but to me dungeon crawlers are grid based real time or turn based rpg's and there is no deviating from that and still earning the title dungeon crawler. Except I'd call Daggerfall a dungeon crawler, I'd call Daggerfall my wife if I could.
I'd personally call Arena a dungeon crawler as well tbh

Falksi

Arcane

Totally agree with this. Dark Souls is a challenging action game with a few RPG elements in my book. Some great games in the series, others not so great, but Dungeon Crawler? Nah.

Wayward Son

Daggerfall is just better Arena, completely objective.
Completely wrong is more like it. Especially as a dungeon crawler. Arena's dungeons are far better, even its random generated ones beat out 99% of Daggerfall's random generated ones. Its hand crafted ones are better than prob 75% of Daggerfall's hand crafted ones

Toby Tobacco

Literate
Daggerfall is just better Arena, completely objective.
Completely wrong is more like it. Especially as a dungeon crawler. Arena's dungeons are far better, even its random generated ones beat out 99% of Daggerfall's random generated ones. Its hand crafted ones are better than prob 75% of Daggerfall's hand crafted ones

i meant like the overall game not its dungeon crawling aspects sry

Wayward Son

i meant like the overall game not its dungeon crawling aspects sry
Okay so Arena has more balanced and varied class system with more interesting differences in classes, more balanced spellcasting, better potion system, more tense moment to moment gameplay, etc

Toby Tobacco

Literate
Okay so Arena has more balanced and varied class system with more interesting differences in classes, more balanced spellcasting, better potion system, more tense moment to moment gameplay, etc

You made the mistake of assuming I know what I'm talking about. I don't think I know what I'm talking about i just love daggerfall

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Images have died, so I have to get around updating the OP. I'm willing to upload an alternative list with only proper dungeon crawlers in it, but I'd rather have people voice their opinion on which games should be removed from that table (as opposed to having to rely on my own instincts regarding games I haven't played).

I've already updated the list to reflect the changes suggested by felipepepe when it comes to percentages.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom