Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Whatever its flaws may be, P2 isn't going to be a T:ToN.

There is no proof there is anything beyond the beta island, with producer leaving before the release and promised beta update not being delivered this will be an even bigger bomb than T:ToN.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
That sounds a bit overdramatic, but the other extreme, Prime Junta's reasoning, sounds a lot like hope and excuses. Hope is a cruel mistress, while excuses are crushing your balls in a vise. Very perverse.

axedice

Cipher
Combat mechanics are still on the air with less than a month to release though. What are the final penetration and speed values for weapons and spells, how will resolve work? If combat mechanics (and PotD difficulty) remain untested and unbalanced to such extent, what can we expect from the narrative part of the game? They promised F:NV levels of faction interaction IIRC, can they deliver it?

I had higher hopes 3 months ago, but after seeing how much they changed the combat (and propose to yet change it based on SA feedback), it seems like another rushed project with poor time management.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nah, the content won't be rushed. It might be boring and uninspired, but it won't be rushed. What is 99% certain is the combat will be a mess, maybe even unplayable on PotD.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
What are the final penetration and speed values for weapons and spells, how will resolve work?

According to sawyer's GDC talk from whenever it was, following a game's development upon its release is an institutionalized practice at obsidian now. Meaning that combat will get tuning, UI will get adjustments etc etc whatever the feedback is at release. Keep in mind that according to normies and journos, poe1 was worth 9/10. Which also has to due with them being completely oblivious to the massive character sheets bugs (like stacking attributes, who doesn't remember the 40 Might Durance ?)
I guess people don't agree with this, since I see this concern appear now and then, but I really don't mind if numbers aren't set in stone at d-day. A problem occurs when numbers are such that the whole thing is unplayable, yeah, but if it's a matter of flavour or balancing, I don't give two fucks.
If combat mechanics (and PotD difficulty) remain untested and unbalanced to such extent, what can we expect from the narrative part of the game?
Fenstermaker's itw lets me guess that the pillars team acknowledged the criticism regarding the writing. So it's safe to say it's gonna be different. Now is it gonna be good ? No idea, mate.
They promised F:NV levels of faction interaction IIRC, can they deliver it?
Yes, they can. They made FNV. Now, will they ? See previous answer.
I had higher hopes 3 months ago, but after seeing how much they changed the combat (and propose to yet change it based on SA feedback), it seems like another rushed project with poor time management.
Oh the combat will change for another two years, rest assured. Even if it works, which is arguably unfortunate, it's gonna change.

Prime Junta

Combat mechanics are still on the air with less than a month to release though. What are the final penetration and speed values for weapons and spells, how will resolve work? If combat mechanics (and PotD difficulty) remain untested and unbalanced to such extent, what can we expect from the narrative part of the game? They promised F:NV levels of faction interaction IIRC, can they deliver it?

Curious that there are people here, on a forum that's supposedly knowledgeable about RPGs and how they're made, who appear to think that tuning numbers in attribute systems and combat mechanics has any bearing on writing narrative, debugging dialogue trees, or designing maps.

Flou

Arbiter
There is no proof there is anything beyond the beta island, with producer leaving before the release and promised beta update not being delivered this will be an even bigger bomb than T:ToN.

She's not the Lead Producer. Her tasks on Deadfire are pretty much done at this point. Backer content is in the game, art is finished and the Fig campaign is quite done with just 1 or 2 updates to go before the game launches. You don't need her for that.

axedice

Cipher
Curious that there are people here, on a forum that's supposedly knowledgeable about RPGs and how they're made, who appear to think that tuning numbers in attribute systems and combat mechanics has any bearing on writing narrative, debugging dialogue trees, or designing maps.

It has more to do with project management than being an RPG. When an important aspect of a project is turning out to be shit, you look at other parts, expecting similar failures of management. Also experience from the first game has shown us how the poorly implemented combat mechanics went hand in hand with the poorly implemented (or rather rushed) narrative design past Raedric's Hold. Regardless of combat, Pillars was very good the first 4-6 hours. Then it turned into a boring hack&slash with infinite trash

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
excuse the break in shitposting for this minor question fellas. in the backer beta / deadfire do you know if the formation function actually leads to your party moving in formation or will your casters/squishiest characters still decide to run ahead of the meatshields?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It has more to do with project management than being an RPG. When an important aspect of a project is turning out to be shit, you look at other parts, expecting similar failures of management.

This is silly. Obsidian has a long track record of making games with not-so-hot combat and very good everything else. The one has very little to do with the other. In fact, other than Sawyer, you often get the sense that combat is kind of an afterthought for these guys.

Even when the games they release are a buggy mess, the writing and narrative elements tend to be really good. In short, you cray.

Lacrymas

Arcane
None of the original writers that created the great narratives are there anymore, though. What's left now is another cuck squad alla Larian with few exceptions, so I wouldn't hope for anything in the likes of KotOR2 or MotB. I think it'll be like White March, most NPCs will have 1-2 sentence uninteresting quips and then shut up, which is fine if you can suppress your inner storyfag and I can certainly do that if other parts of the game are fine.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
We really need a button for prophets of doom. It'd nicely complete the fabulously optimistic one.

Flou

Arbiter
Do we know why the PR lady is leaving Obs? She was funny...

Her job was more or less to be a lead producer for PoEII and to handle the crowdfunding campaign. The fuck is she gonna do now that PoE is done

Justin Britch is/was the lead producer on Deadfire. Katrina handled the Fig campaign.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom