Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tomb Raider trilogy

KalosKagathos

Learned
So I wanted to get 3D Dot Game Heroes, but then I saw this being sold for a low, low price of 30$ (yes, it's very low for a PS3 game in Russia). It's a compilation that includes Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. Now, I played Legend back when it first came out and I remember liking platforming and boss design. Anyone here played the other two? Are they any good? I think Underworld got very mixed reception from the press and fans alike, but screw them, I'm willing to give Crystal Dynamics a benefit of doubt.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I haven't played them, but I watched a Let's Play of the three. I have to say, while the story is ridiculous, the games were amazingly pretty (even for today) and seemed like a lot of fun. One of the three games focused on combat, one on puzzles/exploring and a third one was a mix between the two.

If you like Tomb Raider, by all means go for it!

Micromegas

Novice
If you liked Legend then you should probably give Underworld a go. The gameplay is pretty good and it does look really nice. It does have some problems, the levels all have the same basic art style that gets fairly repetative after a whilethe combat is laughably easy due to the special combat tricks you get (also they repeat the whole mafic weapon thing that was at the end of Legend). It does wrap up the story but the story wasn't really very good to begin with. The platforming and pyuzzle aspects work quite welll and it has some really cool large platforming areas.

coaster

Liturgist
Anniversary is the best of the trilogy. It's actually quite a faithful remake of TR1 from 10 years before.

Agreed.

Whole Trilogy is a bit dumbed down from the Core games (tho Anniversary is much better in this respect, no fucking zip & alistair which means the sense of isolation from the original game shines through). Underworld is the best looking (first underwater level was pretty gorgeous) but yes it is short and the resolution of the story arc was pretty shitty.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
TR Legend was decent but I didn't like how much focus there was on your teammates and how Lara was turned into a girl with daddy issues. Much preferred the stories of the old Tomb Raider games where she was just an action hero out to explore tombs and collect artifacts for her personal collection.

TR Anniversary is a good remake of TR1, pretty faithful to the original levels and definitely worth playing because the original levels were amazing, especially St. Francis' Folly. They made Lara into the same emotional girl that she is in Legend, rather than the cool action heroine from the original, but eh whatever. The gameplay is great.

TR Underworld is greatly improved upon Legend, very good level design, less banter with teammates and more solo exploration of forgotten tombs, and the graphics are gorgeous. Most of these tombs really drip with atmosphere. It's a legit great Tomb Raider game that comes pretty close to the classic games by Core Design. The story is still stupid but who cares. I wish they had continued making Tomb Raider games like this one because it was a huge step in the right direction, classic TR gameplay with platforming and puzzle solving, exactly what TR had always been about.

But then they made the reboot. RIP Tomb Raider.

deama

Prophet
I played Legend and Underworld. I stopped playing Legend about halfway, but I enjoyed Underworld throughout.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Played TR2 and Golden Mask, then Legends. For some reason some settings cause some weird graphical issues, like you can climb the edges and still do that climbing animation even in the air.
Or some ladder glitch when Lara climb them at 45* degree making jumping elsewhere impossible. Luckily she set properly for once and my playthrought could be continued.
Also weird bug with her ponytail in snow level near crashed plane.
fuk checkpoints

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom