Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Prosper The Dark Lord Beholder (formerly Eye of the Beholder 4)

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Eye of the Beholder: Limbo of the Lost

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
I am also from Greece, i am also creating a dungeon crawler inspired by EOB & M&M and obviously English are not my native language as well.
All Takis needed to do was to remove all the copyrighted shit from his Beholder game and instead start using some free graphics if had no budget.
Instead, he started launching campaigns asking money by showing "placeholders" (my ass) and talking big.
It is not an English issue, it is not just theft, it is behaviour that shows *zero* love and respect for the game he intended to create.
You are coming to a large forum and instead of trying to settle in and explain about the game (which it might help, you ignorant),
you insist that everyone should talk Greek to you, that your graphics are placeholders (but you ran campaigns for it, asking real money) and that WOTC has nothing to do with you.
And then you start talking shit in Greek when you got too much butthurted.
It is easy to get that butthurted when you have nothing to show after 10+ years of work, only talk.
I am surprised that he was able to run campaigns with those graphics.
Insrpiration is one thing, stealing with zero stealth is another.

MortalMan

Barely Literate
Oh yes, I remember this one. I think I have the "demo" somewhere (If it wasn’t on that disc that went to Silicon Heaven few years ago :( ) Now I wonder, how would modern take (or remake) on Eye of the Beholder look like. Probably similar to Legend of Grimrock :). And what about the game system? Original 2nd edition AD&D, or modern adaptation of the 5th edition rules? But maybe the best would be the 3.5 ed.? Well, doesn’t matter Beholder is probably too old for modern days. :(

Nixheb

Arcane
I'm not a language or greek expert, but is this normal that vlzvl is structuring his sentences like Takis ? vlzvl are you an alt of takis ? Or an incarnation of a multiple personnality disorder ?

Nixheb

Arcane
Ho, and btw : EOB is not about gameplay and strategy (which is rather weak ; minimax your party, grab the best weapons and you are done) => EOB is all about atmosphere and story, cleverly and subtetly combined with blobber mecanics.
So if you want at true EOB successor, work hard on that, not on the technical engine.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
The MOMENT I saw the screenshot I knew this was the work of Takis76.

This has been in development since sometime around 2008, probably earlier. As everyone can see, it uses stolen assets (some of which has been altered) and is a grand example of vaporware.
It's still gonna get released before Grimoire, though.

Hello again,
You have seen old screenshots of my game which I was using some graphics from Eye of the Beholder to callibrate my engine. Now I have hired graphic designers who designed new genuine graphics. My game is not vaporware and is not just random things from internet. I have put lot of work in it. I am going a very professional work here. The game evolves and becomes better. Maybe my mistake was to present mixed graphics or altered graphics to present my early stages of the development of my engine and test functions. Some people maybe criticized me alot or just judge the screenshot. My game will not be ready yet because I want it to become masterpiece. Sometime you will see new videos and I will post and some demo somewere. But I do everything alone.

The new screenshot from new interface with 3 players and new Castle.
zyWaiTG.png

Another one new Screenshot from the new Forest.
TXwlvTX.png

Presentation of the new weather effects.
zsRdU1h.png

Last edited:

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
Takis76 hows the game going?
Hello,
The game is going very very well. There are no more stolen graphics and everything are new now. People maybe concern (And I thank them all very much, because they are interesting about my game).
But I am very serious in my work and I will not compromise anyone. Everything will be legal, there will not be problems with the Forgotten Realms Setting, because I use my own setting with name "Mystic Realms" There will not be any problem with the game rules and anything about "Dungeons & Dragons" Because I use my own rules with name "Monsters & Traps". Trust me I have made deep research about legal things any other legal stuff.
Even If some things will need to be used, official licences will be purchased. But for now I have my own and I am not depend of others.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
The developer responded

Eye of the Beholder 4 I will try to hold any right of the material included in the final product. The game is under development and any cost will be needed for copyrights will be covered, that is the reason I am going to launch the indiegogo campaign to cover all copyright and design costs for everything. For now the game is under developement and nothing is final yet. So when the final product will be released it will be genuine and clear. So if you contribute to my campaign and trust me you will not be dissappointed. I am a loyayal and I respect peoples work

Hello again,
I solved the problem of the copyrights. I have my own graphics and everything now is genuine. As I said an indiegogo campaign or maybe a Kickstarter campaign will be launched in some time and if some licence will be needed it will be purchased. But now I use new graphics, new rules, new setting, new logos so this is not a concern anymore.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
Looks very cool, but why only 2 characters?

And what a shame the guy couldn't get some help with his presentation... the video is boring to watch and the description is very poorly written. I doubt this will ever raise 20.000 like this. :/

The new interface was improved. The old graphics presented an interface with only 2 players. Someone said "2 Players only this is not Eye of the Beholder".
Now the main characters will be 3 and you will able to carry on additional 4 NPC characters.
Which video you watched and was boring? I promise you to post a less boring video in the next time and write richer description. (My apologies).

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
The graphics were created with Corel: Paint Shop Pro which is genuine and I have copyrighted licence of the software.
Every tool and software I use for the creation of my game which I own it, including programming languages, audio editors, graphic makers, because I have program it line by line from scratch and there is no "Wizards of the Coast" to stop me and I have to say

Who the fuck said about legitimacy of your tools. No one gives a fucking damn except rabid copyfags. They are just pointing out that using EoB's graphics and name as placeholder is ground to C&D letter from WotC.

On the other hand you are, considering abominable English, probably Russian and thus partially immune to them. :M

Also mana bar and runes. Are you picking a page from Dungeon Master?

I will not like to repeat myself this answer is just an update reference for all my old posts, ignore all old graphics everything are new now.
Do not worry I never received any cease and desist letter from Wizards.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
What you mean?

Are you familiar with the concept of putting yourself in harm's way? If you want to avoid the eye of WotC after admitting to using stolen assets you might want to avoid giving them any thread to pull on.

I am not using any stollen assets anymore because I hired fine graphic designers and they design new stuff. About the Wizards do not worry. I have already communicated with them.
Also if you want to know I have communicated and with Frank Klepacki too.

Takis76

Arcane
Developer
Ότι είπαν οι παραπάνω. Μη ψαρώνεις με τα ratings και το τροολάρισμα. Εδώ ο καθένας γράφει ότι γουστάρει και αν είσαι ασυνήθιστος, σου κακοφαίνεται. Πάντως δεν υπάρχει άλλο φόρουμ που να ασχολείται τόσο με κλασσικά crpg. Τα αγγλικά σου θέλουν δουλειά, οπότε γράφε λίγα και προσεκτικά και συνέχισε ακάθεκτος.

Back to English:
What the guys are saying about copyright is that if you use assets from the original Beholder games you are likely to get blocked by the copyright holders, if you go for crowdfunding. Even if you contacted wizards of the coast and they didn't stop you, there's always a chance you'll get a C&D letter later. Your best bet is to use your own graphics and just call the game a spiritual successor to Eye of the Beholder.
Ευχαριστώ πολύ, Χρησιμοποιώ αυθεντικά γραφικά και δικούς μου κανόνες παιχνιδιού, τώρα έχω προσλάβει γραφίστες οπότε οι σοφοί δεν θα έχουν πρόβλημα με λογότυπα, κανόνες και τα σχετικά.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom