Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Divinity: Original Sin 2

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
RPG rule of thumb:

"Short term" elements (such as the combat ability you're going to use this round) can use randomness.

"Long term" elements (such as the equipment you're going to use for the next N hours) should be deterministic.

D:OS 2 inverts this.

Cross

Arcane
RPG rule of thumb:

"Short term" elements (such as the combat ability you're going to use this round) can use randomness.

"Long term" elements (such as the equipment you're going to use for the next N hours) should be deterministic.

D:OS 2 inverts this.
A trait it shares with hack-and-slash RPG's like Diablo, which have always been a major influence on Larian games.

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Considering all the enthusiasm over this game and after earning the RPGCodex 2017 GOTY. It's kinda odd that a guy that didn't bother in finishing the game, was the only one to show up and willingly write a DivOS2 review for the codex so far.

I mean, as a matter of fact, this really doesn't hold a favorable statement about all DivOs 2 advocates. Are they really being honest with themselves regarding this game?

It takes a long time to write a review, many here aren't native English speaker either, hours of work to get some retards spamming you bad spelling or shit , no thanks.

Now are we honest about ourselves about this game ? Before Divos, shadowrun and a few other kickstarters, the only games you could await for was some jeff vogel's new repaint of his existing games exile, avernum or that last game i dont even remember the name. But one thing I remember is some codex staff member "creaming his pants" , i quote him, about eschalon release...

So despite minor flaws, the armor system and loot randomization mostly , DIVOS 2 is still a considerable improvement and part of the new golden age of RPGS. DIVOS 1 was the first release topping the old classics and even outclassing them in my opinion. Same thing for divos 2.Those games are a godsend nothing less.Does larian deserves this review ? No, even POE dont deserves such negativity.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Considering all the enthusiasm over this game and after earning the RPGCodex 2017 GOTY. It's kinda odd that a guy that didn't bother in finishing the game, was the only one to show up and willingly write a DivOS2 review for the codex so far.

I mean, as a matter of fact, this really doesn't hold a favorable statement about all DivOs 2 advocates. Are they really being honest with themselves regarding this game?

It takes a long time to write a review, many here aren't native English speaker either, hours of work to get some retards spamming you bad spelling or shit , no thanks.

Now are we honest about ourselves about this game ? Before Divos, shadowrun and a few other kickstarters, the only games you could await for was some jeff vogel's new repaint of his existing games exile, avernum or that last game i dont even remember the name. But one thing I remember is some codex staff member "creaming his pants" , i quote him, about eschalon release...

So despite minor flaws, the armor system and loot randomization mostly , DIVOS 2 is still a considerable improvement and part of the new golden age of RPGS. DIVOS 1 was the first release topping the old classics and even outclassing them in my opinion. Same thing for divos 2.Those games are a godsend nothing less.Does larian deserves this review ? No, even POE dont deserves such negativity.

EoEKa2l.png

Mortmal

Arcane

EoEKa2l.png

3 min answer time ! You are really hooked to this thread ! You are still young , you arent an old man already with plenty of time in his hand.There's still hope, leave before the codex engulf you, find yourself some cheap ukranian whore, theres plenty in poland , do something...

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
i just tried to launch the game again

played for some 15 minutes before the overwhelming banality forced me to quit

this is dos2

pure, distilled banality

Actually, Darth Roxor's final thoughts on DOS2 before finally giving up and uninstalling:

I honestly and sincerely think it's worse than vanilla PoE and you can quote me on this.

Doing the duty.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

Ol'man

Educated
EVERY TIME YOU LEVEL UP YOU HAVE TO GO ON A PILGRIMAGE TO CHECK VENDORS FOR 36 ITEMS TO REPLACE YOUR PREVIOUS SET. EVERY SINGLE TIME. THIS IS THE FIRST RPG THAT ACTUALLY MANAGED TO MAKE ME GO "OH SHIT, I LEVELED UP AGAIN. FUN IS OVER"

Why though?

The game is not difficult enough to warrant this kind of autism. I remember some of my party members having level 4-5 items well into act 3.
You either exaggerate or didn't play on Tactitian, because having more than one or two under-level items equipped makes (some) Tacitian fights a total nightmare due to number inflation.

so its time to come out: yes i've been receiving huge paychecks for all muh revios
Wait, so Larian paid you to shit on their game?
Or was it someone else?

In DOS:2 beta initiative was determined by wits+level without the you-go, they-go, you-go system live has. This led to everyone pumping wits and your entire party going before the opponents (there was no randomization, it was just your wits>their wits = your turn).

It was actually worse/boring than the current system, that also sucks, because your entire team went first, CC'd any meaningful target, and that was the fight. Testers never used the current system.
Well, I can see how not having any randomization in that messes things up (even though it would STILL be preferable as then at least, it wouldn't be a dump stat), but why the hell didn't they introduce randomization instead of that absurd you-go-they-go nonsense?
They really swallowed that "RNG is bad" pill, huh? :lol:

tldr: without changing the armor system you can't fix initative.

Yep. They did swallow that pill. That being said, they're both terrible systems (EA and current). Before it was "go wits or go home" for everyone but your hydro guy. Deterministic and boring. Now wits is "that attribute" one guy puts points in and everyone else ignores, also boring.

Larian really painted themselves into a corner with initiative and in the end it was mostly due to the armor system, I think. Dos2 could have done a randomized system with an attribute giving a bonus to initative (like most turn based games and what many advocate..) but because CC has a 100% success rate, when armor is down, you'd have the same problems as EA about wits being the god attribute + save scumming. At least in other games, your entire team could go first, but half of it could miss and the fight might still be dynamic. In DOS2 it was "go first = you win". As long as armor remains as is it's just trading one pile of shit for a different pile of shit.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is further proof that many Codexers like to talk about RPGs, but rarely playing new RPGs.
felipepepe please write a Codex-worthy review for Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is not without faults, but surely one of the better RPGs of the last decade.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Why not write one yourself?

I agree with this one in most points.

For me Divinity: Original Sin 2 is Very Good, because despite some bugs/flaws Larian has created something fresh, new, technically excellent out of my old favorite genre: A story driven RPG, with turn-based combat and lots of choices with consequences and many memorable characters.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
So despite minor flaws, the armor system and loot randomization mostly , DIVOS 2 is still a considerable improvement and part of the new golden age of RPGS.
Now, who is being paid off here........................

Bocian

Arcane
This is further proof that many Codexers like to talk about RPGs, but rarely playing new RPGs.

Is there anything wrong in not playing games that aren't worth playing? I'd rather replay an "old" game I like than touch some "new" shit.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Nothing wrong with playing Fallout and Arcanum umpteen times, but you are missing a lot of good newer games.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
It is a fun RPG, and yes, it is one of the better big-budget RPGs in the last decade (not much competition there). But it's not "fresh", its C&C is very rarely meaningful, and its 'story' might as well not exist for all it adds. Even for me, who enjoyed the game and would agree it is "Very Good" in the wider context, that paragraph is just full of rubbish, almost as if it's deliberately picking out the aspects of the game that weren't very good.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why not write one yourself?

I agree with this one in most points.

For me Divinity: Original Sin 2 is Very Good, because despite some bugs/flaws Larian has created something fresh, new, technically excellent out of my old favorite genre: A story driven RPG, with turn-based combat and lots of choices with consequences and many memorable characters.

The guys at RPG Watch don’t exactly have discerning taste. I would almost always rather read a negative review than a positive one. If you know why someone else thinks a game is terrible, it’s easy to see if any of that turns you off; if not, then the game is worth playing.

The RPG Watch review of D:OS2 is an uncritical blowjob fest. I found combat to be substantially worse than the original, at least in the few hours I’ve played. It doesn’t sound like it gets much better over the course of the game. I agree that the companion characters are an improvement and you have more role playing options, but the gameplay is not so hot.

As for the writing, Larian has yet to make a game that was really well-written. The silly, unserious tone of D:OS made its bad writing more tolerable—yeah it’s shit, but at least they seem to know it. D:OS2 is just poorly written. It has a lot of reactivity, but that’s not the same as meaningful C&C.

In world where nearly every mainstream review called this thing one of the best RPGs ever, we needed someone who hates it to point out the very real flaws. This is not a game for combat fags or system fags or story fags. I’m don’t know what kind of fags that leaves us with, but there sure are a lot of them.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Casual fags (who think they are not)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom