Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oxygen Not Included - space colony sim from Klei

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
hatch farming is a bit op now, you feed them trash and they spawn pretty neat and nutritious eggs.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Out of all computer game villains, thermodynamics from this game is by far the most terrifying. You can't kill it, only contain it.

Speaking of this, can anyone explain to me how the fucking tempshift plates and insulated tiles werk?

In my last game, when I was about to connect the boiling hot water from the steam geyser to my base, what I did first was surround the entire farming room with insulated tiles to keep it away from the heat. And then it suddenly went up from 20something to 35 almost immediately and all my plants died :nocountryforshitposters:

Tried to counter it with a tempshift plate, seems the only thing THAT accomplished was raise the temp even more. So in the end I put in two manual hydrofans... and they did absolutely nothing at all :nocountryforshitposters:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Out of all computer game villains, thermodynamics from this game is by far the most terrifying. You can't kill it, only contain it.

Speaking of this, can anyone explain to me how the fucking tempshift plates and insulated tiles werk?

In my last game, when I was about to connect the boiling hot water from the steam geyser to my base, what I did first was surround the entire farming room with insulated tiles to keep it away from the heat. And then it suddenly went up from 20something to 35 almost immediately and all my plants died :nocountryforshitposters:

Tried to counter it with a tempshift plate, seems the only thing THAT accomplished was raise the temp even more. So in the end I put in two manual hydrofans... and they did absolutely nothing at all :nocountryforshitposters:

You trapped the heat inside the room, which I guess you were pumping in via water pipes connected to hydroponics tiles. In any case you use insulated tiles, especially those made out of abyssite since it has ridiculously low thermal conductivity, to wall off your base from high(er) temperature surroundings, so that the heat from that seeps in slower (at a slower rate than you can transport it out of your base, somehow). Personally I found water pipes are the best way to transport heat out of a base. Also building ice blocks on mesh tiles above your fresh water pool is a good way to cool the whole thing down, since the cold water pumped to your toilets and hydroponics tiles will cool down everything along the pipe as both the water in the pipe and the surroundings try to equalize in temperature. If you get lucky you can just build pipes to pump heated water or polluted water through an ice biome, if it is close or have the resources for it. If not, you can countdown to the heat death of the base.

The problem I have with this game, is that it keeps spawning biomes which are above 30 degrees around my bases so it is just a matter of time before the heat seeps in attempting to reach equilibrium and kills your plants. It's like the heat death of the universe only at above 30.1 degrees celcius.

Rimworld handled crop temperature better, a binary cutoff is just shit.

I think ranching hatches might be a better option now since hatches hopefully don't become suddenly useless above 30C and still lay egg. So you only need to worry about heat-induced stress vomiting.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you get lucky you can just build pipes to pump heated water or polluted water through an ice biome

I haven't played much yet, just watched a few videos and dude had constant problems with waste heat. I don't suppose the game map is a closed system? Coz that wouldn't work for your longterm welfare. What is the way the devs are cheating? I guess the ice and abyssalite biomes simply swallow all the heat that goes through them and dissipate it into nothingness?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You trapped the heat inside the room, which I guess you were pumping in via water pipes connected to hydroponics tiles.

Actually nope, it was farm tiles.

But now I realised those farm tiles typically still require irrigation... with the boiling hot water.

... and on reflection mayhap using that boiling hot water to operate the manual hydrofan was also not the best of ideas... :lol:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Probably that, I assume bottled water retains heat. Otherwise you could use a manual pump and bottle emptier as a cooling system powered by duplicant runners.

If you get lucky you can just build pipes to pump heated water or polluted water through an ice biome

I haven't played much yet, just watched a few videos and dude had constant problems with waste heat. I don't suppose the game map is a closed system? Coz that wouldn't work for your longterm welfare. What is the way the devs are cheating? I guess the ice and abyssalite biomes simply swallow all the heat that goes through them and dissipate it into nothingness?

Technically it appears to be a closed system. So with enough time and no interference from the player it would reach equilibrium. The devs are cheating in two official ways from what I noticed:

There is one thermodynamic black hole in the form of wheezeworts, highly resistant plants native to ice biomes. They take in ALL the gas from their tile(s) and cool it by a fixed number of Kelvin/degree Celcius. They don't remove an mount of energy but an amount of temperature, so actual thermal energy varies. This means that ideally you want to dip them in a gas that stores the most thermal energy per tile. These buggers cannot be cultivated but they can be replanted into flower pots. Unfortunately I have difficulty finding more than one ice biome per game and I only managed to get two tops for my heat exchanger (and it cooled too slow to stop heat death).

The other are geysers which produce liquid, thus introducing heat into the system.

There is also probably some heat destruction in some other places, where the devs have not patched it yet.

Also I learned the hard way that while the aquatuner or what is it called, that dumps heat from liquid into its surrounding cools liquid very well, the damn thing easily overheats and thus is a metal sink. Because it overheats, gets damaged, needs metal to be repaired. I guess if I design a system to keep it cool (dip it in cold petroleum maybe?) and add a temperature sensor hooked up via some logic gates to only deliver power if the temperature around the cooler is acceptable it would work as a nice automated system.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So abyssalite does in fact heats up as it absorbs heat? And ice biome works like a fridge or not? Does it "generates" cold? (does it can melt if you heat it up but cools back down if you take the heat source out of it?). Or does it simply starts with lower overall temperature but that's it?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yes, abyssalite warms up very very slowly, it does have thermal conductivity of 0.00001 (1E-05) (W/m)/K. I think the only reason ice biomes do not melt within a couple dozen cycles by themselves is because they tend to be surrounded by abyssalite IIRC, possibly more so than regular biomes, I would need to check. Since heat seeps in very very slowly through abyssalite and there is no source of heat within the biome itself, the wheezeworts help maintain a cold temperature as they are essentially heat destroyers/cold generators.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I changed my mind. This game is lost
xyTZvXW.png

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
18 New Geyser Types: Tons of new points of interest have erupted onto the scene!
  • Geysers, Fumaroles, Volcanoes, Fissures
  • Copper, Iron, Gold, Co2, Hydrogen and more
  • Both cool and hot temperatures
  • Explore and find them all!

Gold... geysers...?

:what:

2e3y70x.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Game is much more punishing now. Metal volcanoes seem great when spawn near your base but they emit shitton of heat and soon you will realize if you will not isolate it all your crops will die and heat will kill your colony.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
meanwhile natural gas geyser that has been next to my base since forever goes dormant the moment i finally connect a generator to it

borealesad.jpg

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
New preview is here

• New Critter Morphs -- by breeding creatures new kinds of eggs might be laid
    • Hatch Morphs
    • Shine Bug Morphs
    • Slickster Morphs
    • Puft Morphs
  • Baby critters added to the critter lifecycle
  • New critters:
    • Drecko
    • Drecko Morphs
    • Pacu
    • Pacu Morphs
  • Gaseous Element Sensor
  • In-pipe sensors (liquid and gas)
    • Germ sensor
    • Element sensor
    • Temperature sensor
  • Radiant pipes (liquid and gas)
  • Memory Bit logic component
  • Added logic ports to many more buildings
  • Sandbox Tools
    • Sandbox mode can be enabled on new custom games, or from the pause menu

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
So now we have lizards which could besheared for plastic and fiber, we have hatches which poop refined metal, when fed with common metal and pufts that eat chlorine and poop bleach stone. Oh, and slickster that poops petroleum.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Unity_2018-05-31_10-00-24.png.e858c68374b67e50c7b98e8729506920.png

Hello space-friends!

Have your Duplicants ever wondered if there was more to life than just rocks? Have they been under a little more pressure than usual? Have they all had the unshakable feeling that there has to be something else out there? Well, as it turns out, they're right! The surface of the asteroid has finally been exposed, and it's chock-full of desolate, lifeless, soul-and-oxygen-sucking vacuum!

Well, that's not entirely true: It also contains deadly metal-rich meteors, and is exposed to harsh high-energy solar radiation. There's even enough room up there for some mysterious mysteries.

Meanwhile, back at the base, the Duplicants have developed new advanced materials for dealing with the realities of space living, and have further refined their ranching techniques.

If you're interested, you can help us test this new content for the next two weeks before it goes live. As always we appreciate your feedback, so please share your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum. Thank-you!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

The following content is available in the testing branch:
  • New Surface biome
    • Solar light
    • Periodic meteor showers with 3 kinds of meteors
    • Vacuum regions which whisk away gases and liquids
    • Duplicant sun basking and sunburns
  • Solar Panels
  • Window Tiles
  • Bunker Doors and Bunker Walls
  • Meteor Detector
  • New material tech
    • High-temperature ceramics, produced from Kilns
    • Steel, produced from the Smelter
    • Lime, created from egg shells and used for Steel
    • Pure carbon, produced from Kilns
    • Glass, produced from the Glass Forge
  • Updated egg production economy
    • Egg Cracker building to mark specific eggs as food ingredients
    • Varying egg masses per creature type
    • Stored eggs lose viability and eventually can't hatch
  • Completed egg, baby, wrangling, and trapped artwork for all critters
  • Automatic wrangling and pen limits added to Critter Drop-Off
  • Updated Mechanized Airlock to change speed depending on if it's powered
Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
You can build a cooling foundation, like wolframite tiles for panel to stand on, and a cooling stuff below
Plus, people are experimenting with shine bugs but it seems they provide very low lux to produce any significant power

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
2018-07-12_11-16-49.gif.6bb7d9eca7357e5de3f0690f82c31cfe.gif

Hello all you beautiful people!

Like waking from a daze, the Duplicants have suddenly become aware of life going on around them. They've become concerned for their fellow Duplicant. They've started wanting more out of their existence on this little asteroid. They've invented video games.

If you're interested, you can help us test this new content for the next two weeks before it goes live. As always we appreciate your feedback, so please share your thoughts and opinions on the Suggestions Forum. Thank-you!

Please note: The socialization and recreation systems are still being roughed in, so you'll find more loose ends and missing details than usual at the moment. We still have to add things like tooltips and icons, UI for the schedule, attributes and effects actually modifying each other, and so forth. We encourage you to comment on the game as you're currently experiencing it, as we'll be considering your feedback while we develop these systems.
Content:

• New "work time" during the day:
    • Duplicants will avoid eating or peeing during work
    • After work, Duplicants will eat, pee, and enjoy their leisure time
  • Many new Duplicant "reactions" to:
    • Status effects
    • Fellow Duplicants
    • Environmental factors
  • Duplicants will converse with each other occasionally
    • Including animated mouths and eyes!
  • Quality of Life to replace food/decor expectations
    • Food, rooms, and recreation improve Quality of Life
  • Save camera positions with Shift 1-9, jump to them with Ctrl 1-9
Technical changes:

• Improved boot times and load times, minor performance fixes
    • Many of these changes won't be noticeable in the Testing branch due to the debug logging, but will have impact in the Release branch in 2 weeks.
  • Fixed graphical issues that many OSX users were experiencing
  • Fix a startup crash due to GPU scaling
  • Cleaned up a number of memory leaks, especially when reloading a game
Check the patch notes for the most up-to-date changes!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is it just me, or did the last update shrink the starting 'moderate' biome a lot?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Every single fucking time.

I finally set up the natural gas generator, AND IMMEDIATELY THE FUCKING GAYSER GOES DORMANT FOR 50 CYCLES :rage:

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Diversify your power sources.
Use smart batteries with automation for coal generators and nat gas gens - smart batteries prevent wasting power and save, like, 80% of resources spent. Hatches can provide lots of coal. Oil could be boiled to produce nat gas. LOTS OF NAT GAS. It is bordering exploit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom