Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Artifact - a Valve card game based on DotA

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Lol this shit looks like a complete derpstone ripoff, is this a joke?

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
They got heavy-handed with the animations, tune it down valve wtf.

Seems to have a "childish high fantasy" feel to it, like Hearthstone.
Immature would be a better word. Hearthstone is cute at least.

Strygwyr the Bloodseeker is a ritually sanctioned hunter, Hound of the Flayed Twins, sent down from the mist-shrouded peaks of Xhacatocatl in search of blood. The Flayed Ones require oceanic amounts of blood to keep them sated and placated, and would soon drain their mountain empire of its populace if the priests of the high plateaus did not appease them. Strygwyr therefore goes out in search of carnage. The vital energy of any blood he lets, flows immediately to the Twins through the sacred markings on his weapons and armor. Over the years, he has come to embody the energy of a vicious hound; in battle he is savage as a jackal. Beneath the Mask of the Bloodseeker, in the rush of bloody quenching, it is said that you can sometime see the features of the Flayers taking direct possession of their Hound.

I wouldn't put that in a kid story, and not only because it's very poorly written and extremely ridiculous.
Strygwyr sounds like a name Sawyer would love btw.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Couldn't watch more than 20 seconds. This visual effects spectacle (in a card game...) gives me eye cancer.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Game looks bad. Bunch of slow drawn out animations, videos shown indicated no potential for depth.

It will still sell millions.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
What do you mean, no potential for depth ? How would you show that through 2min instagram stories of a dude who doesn't know what he's doing :lol:
Animations are indeed fucking up the game tho, that's damn straight.

Cadmus

Arcane
The cards look fucking shit compared to Gerardo of Rivera's Gwent.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
On the contrary, it looks like you can. When he's about to use the damage spell, it puts a shining border around his own dudes as well. I assume it indicates potential targets.

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
yeah it reminds me of that cuphead video.

On other hand it appears that you cant cast dmg spells on your own units which sometimes could be beneficial in mtg. This game seem to be... not very complex

Where do you get that it doesn't seem complex? If anything it seems overly complex to me. Basically playing three boards at the same time.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
yeah it reminds me of that cuphead video.

On other hand it appears that you cant cast dmg spells on your own units which sometimes could be beneficial in mtg. This game seem to be... not very complex

Where do you get that it doesn't seem complex? If anything it seems overly complex to me. Basically playing three boards at the same time.

If copying game on x number of boards is complexity... well...
I did expect it to be more complex than mtg. Granted dude showcasing didnt know what he was doing but all the cards appear to be either dmg or armor. There was way more to mtg than that. Granted heroes have some more interesting abilities but spells are boring from what I saw so far.

Yes ok the cards shown are pretty simple so far.

But I like that the game does things pretty different from most other card games. i.e. with the heroes that can die and respawn and get persistent items/buffs and the deployment in three lanes.

GrainWetski

Arcane
~7 minutes of gameplay is not enough to judge a card game based on unless the game consists of 30 cards in total.

Valve is better off going for a complex game because Hearthstone already has the simplistic digital card market locked up with Gwent and countless others going after that same market. They didn't dumb down DotA to go after the LoL market, so..

Edit: changed casual to simplistic because it fits better since people still play the games religiously

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
In one of the talks Gaben said they don't want to focus on casual gameplay, and are instead looking for something that's hard to master and that rewards learning and outplaying the opponent.

Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
If copying game on x number of boards is complexity... well...
it's too early to say if it's complex, however it sure is interesting. from what i've gathered, the three boards lead to the opponent's hp.
meaning you can focus your offense on one or two sides, while having to defend wherever the dude in front of you is going to push.
now, if they pull out the hero mechanic well enough, in such a way that engaging one of them in one lane represents a strong commitment, it can give way to glorious bamboozles.

the fact that spells are simple has little to do with this. i'm more eager to get full details on how deployment and heroes work.
warhammer 40k lcg from FFG is one of the best fucking card games i've played, i hope they steal from it.

J1M

Arcane
In order for me to pick this up they will need to do something interesting design-wise. For example, explore the lane concept to its fullest or incorporate the multi-round strategy that Gwent has.

Sentinel

Arcane
Magic the Gathering artist Mark Winters joins Valve Software.

Eurogamer interview with Richard Garfield

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom