Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How Gamers Killed Ultima Online's Virtual Ecology | War Stories | Ars Technica

Beastro

Arcane
Also Garriot's rat tail and stuff.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Saw this a while ago. Never played UO myself, but plenty of people in the comments pointing out he's full of shit on many points re: why the system fell apart. Namely that killing 'helpless' wildlife was dangerous and outright necessary for new players, and that rabbits and bears dropped the same loot, which was incredibly valuable for crafting.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Garryrot really needs to shut the fuck up and disappear back into deep space.

Norfleet

I find it amusing that he didn't anticipate that players were murderous and would indiscriminately slaughter everything in sight rather than selectively pick out kills. I mean, we're dealing with people who will methodically and systematically destroy every pot, crate, and barrel in a town, just because they can.

Deathsquid

Learned
I find it amusing that he didn't anticipate that players were murderous and would indiscriminately slaughter everything in sight rather than selectively pick out kills. I mean, we're dealing with people who will methodically and systematically destroy every pot, crate, and barrel in a town, just because they can.
The guy was shocked when someone killed his avatar, and was legit surprised people wanted to kill Lord British in the earlier Ultima series games. I don't know why, but he was. I guess we could excuse him with things like "This was new at the time" and "They didn't have metrics" but seriously, what kind of sheep do you expect people to be to not expect them to break the system?

Norfleet

Yeah, it's like he didn't learn from every previous lesson he had regarding player murderousness. If a thing exists in a game, someone is going to try to kill it. NO EXCEPTIONS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom