Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah gonna miss NTWtF I have to admit, you can tart up Disco Elysium to mean that you're dancing with celestial forces and constants during the game I suppose, but there was something classic about not backing down from the cruel emissaries of justice that drove even Chronos mad for his patricide. It spoke of vain, principled struggle that I find very captivating, a lot of Noir heroes could be summed up in this way. Ah well.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Have they actually said the reason for changing the name? Surely it wasn't copyright (copywrite? I always get these confused)

Game still looks like one of the biggest pieces of upcoming lots of writing C&C incline and I can't wait to play it in 2019

Stokowski

Arcane
Well, there is a Bill Bruford jazz piece called "No Truce with the Furies", so ... maybe copyright infringement was a consideration?

But I always thought it was a phrase from something really old (translation of Greek or Roman poet or something) and I've no clue how copyright is applied in such cases.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I7ReQhc.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, there is a Bill Bruford jazz piece called "No Truce with the Furies", so ... maybe copyright infringement was a consideration?

But I always thought it was a phrase from something really old (translation of Greek or Roman poet or something) and I've no clue how copyright is applied in such cases.

It sounds like it should be a classical allusion and maybe it is. As far as I can tell, R.S. Thomas used it as the title of his last poetry collection back in the ‘90, so there may have been trademark issues:

The furies are at home in the mirror; it is their address. Even the clearest water, if deep enough can drown. Never think to surprise them. Your face approaching ever so friendly is the white flag they ignore. There is no truce with the furies. A mirror’s temperature is always zero. It is ice in the veins. Its camera is an x-ray. It is a chalice held out to you in silent communion, where gaspingly you partake of a shifting identity never your own.

From “Reflections” in No Truce With The Furies.

But it sounds so much like a classical allusion and not knowing the original source is driving me crazy. No Truce could maybe be taken from an unusual translation. For example, I found a line in The Eumenides that could conceivably translated, loosely, to get “no truce.”

From the very old Morshead translation:

Chorus (the furies):
Stern and fixed the law is; we have hands t' achieve it,
Cunning to devise.
Queens are we and mindful of our solemn vengeance.
Not by tear or prayer
Shall a man avert it.

That could get you to no truce if you’re trying to keep the meter and care more about the spirit of the text than its literal meaning. But if someone translated it that way, I can’t find it. Maybe it’s from something else.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lol at the saltiness over this. It's just a name.

I guess I agree though that Disco Elysium, while equally weird, isn't as obviously evocative as "No Truce With The Furies". Kasparov, does the name have any meaning?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
lol at the saltiness over this. It's just a name.

I guess I agree though that Disco Elysium, while equally weird, isn't as obviously evocative as "No Truce With The Furies". Kasparov, does the name have any meaning?
It is not just “a purposefully odd word salad” as some have put it.

Like No Truce - Disco carries its own meaning. In context.

As for the list of titles luinthoron is linking to - Robert/Marat Sar has publicly mentioned a few times at least that there are abundant stories yet to tell in Elysium; many different themes to explore and genres to work in.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
Ok, Kasparov, some honest feedback here. It is obvious that you tried to reflect the 70s aesthetics of the game in the title. It didn't work. I didn’t liked the narrator voice (cringeworthy, not professional) or the trailer. The trailer tried to show some action, but it managed to be both light on the action part and superficial on the reactivity, story and cabinet mechanics. This shows that you are not really getting across the strengths of your game. If I didn't read the updates before I wouldn't have got a clue if this game is really promising.

Even "No Truce - A Detective RPG" would be miles better, in my opinion.
This.

Can't make no more tired furry jokes about this game
decline.png
You get to make disco jokes though.

The narrator is cool, it's supposed to be a grungy Tom Waits-type thing.
Ask yourself if the average player will know about this. Sometimes you need to be less artsy and use some basic common sense in order to survive. You need to be pragmatic to sell your art.

The voice would work if the lines weren't your typical salesman pitch. An actual character or at least your usual trailer's narrator is a much better fit.

Like the new name though.

Mustawd

The narrator is cool, it's supposed to be a grungy Tom Waits-type thing.
Ask yourself if the average player will know about this. Sometimes you need to be less artsy and use some basic common sense in order to survive. You need to be pragmatic to sell your art.

This, but also the narrator IS cringe worthy. I don't see how it's cool at all. I mean this game isn't for me, so take that with a grain of salt, but I'm trying to be objective here to at least give some feedback and be helpful. Narrator's voice is gross.

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Didn't know about this until recently. Other than the obvious details is there any mention of how investigation works? (Collecting evidence, making connection between events, deduction.....etc)
I mean you wouldn't want it to be like a telltale when you have to choose the right answer or whatever

This, but also the narrator IS cringe worthy. I don't see how it's cool at all. I mean this game isn't for me, so take that with a grain of salt, but I'm trying to be objective here to at least give some feedback and be helpful. Narrator's voice is gross.
It seems that they can't sell their concept to save their lives. The trailer is obscure and not engaging. They should just remove the whole narration thing and make a more informative and attractive trailer where the actual stuff is emphasised, e.g., the innovative dialogue mechanics, reactivity, quests, refreshing setting.

Didn't know about this until recently. Other than the obvious details is there any mention of how investigation works? (Collecting evidence, making connection between events, deduction.....etc
Of course not. The trailer is opaque.

Lahey

Laheyist
Patron
"No Truce - A Hardboiled RPG"
Fixed.

Ladies, this board reads like the comments section on a blog detailing the outfits and hairdos at some high profile red carpet event.

Worry whether the carpet matches the drapes instead.
I don't worry whether the carpet matches the drapes, but rather the odds of a trap - gib moar gameplay footage, pinko. These cinematic trailers are pretty but useless.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom