Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
Not entirely sure if this is all again JG's ineptitude at showing the product (as the Kickstarter implied) or deliberate Fargo-style fraud. Why show a demo if half things that actually have been on top of the list are either not yet implemented or missing, and all the worst parts (phase combat, small squads, probably %-retarded cover system) are in the limelight.
Cover no longer works in %, except if covers a certain % of target so the cone shots from assault rifles have a greater chance to hit cover.

lightbane

Arcane
Maybe it's an organization in name only. They failed, humanity collapsed, then years later a random dude picked up an old leaflet that mention Phoenix Point and how they were fighting the good fight and decided to take up the mantle as a last hurray before the coming extinction.

So, like Piratez but more serious?
The Geoscape will make or break the Codex's interest at this point.

orcinator

Liturgist
Given they're dead set on the NuXcom path I wonder if they'll actually end up implementing projectiles, given such a feature doesn't work well with everyone being able to shoot from cover.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Given they're dead set on the NuXcom path I wonder if they'll actually end up implementing projectiles, given such a feature doesn't work well with everyone being able to shoot from cover.
Are you on drugs or only read one page? They already implemented projectiles for months now. All these previews and gameplay videos of latest version have them.

orcinator

Liturgist
Are you on drugs or only read one page? They already implemented projectiles for months now. All these previews and gameplay videos of latest version have them.

The latest unstablevoltage video also had a very NuXcom point blank miss so I'll remain skeptical about how "real" the system is. Some longer ranged shots looked weird too but it's hard to tell since they insist on the cinematic camera.

PanteraNera

Arcane

The latest unstablevoltage video also had a very NuXcom point blank miss so I'll remain skeptical about how "real" the system is. Some longer ranged shots looked weird too but it's hard to tell since they insist on the cinematic camera.
Also in the first video (the one were the sound was de-synced) there was a crabman that had half of him covered by a corner, hit-chance was very high and the bullets seemed to went right through the corner and doing damage.

We will see if these are just some bugs that eventually get fixed or if the "ballistic-system" is not what people thought we will get.

But hey, we have triple A graphics! They cost money, so less money for gameplay features ;) The people have spoken, they don't want a successor to UFO:EU (even here), they want more NuXCOM, so the majority of gamers should be happy ;)

timestamped for near point blank miss. Fucking rookies...

Uhm you see the smoke? In UFO:EU smoke reduces accuracy ... .

Last edited:

Mustawd

We will see if these are just some bugs that eventually get fixed

Yah that build seems to be p. rough. Remember, I posted a screenshot that had only two LOS lines showing when there were clearly 3 enemies within LOS. Seems they rushed out a build to get it to the demo.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Link that with a timestamp, I don't remember that.

orcinator

Liturgist

https://youtu.be/2uGPUaJvi_8?t=2044
also the previously mentioned corner is at https://youtu.be/2uGPUaJvi_8?t=954

Man it sure would be nice if the UI was actually designed around the mechanics that aren't a 1:1 NuCom copy.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Actually, hitting a target at point blank range with a gun is not as easy as it sounds:
The target will actively dodge, and at this range, it will result in a high traverse speed, making it harder to adjust.
That is why SMG are usually preferred at close range: they make it faster to adjust to the target movements than a rifle or machine gun.
I was told the story of a friend of my wife's grand father who was to be executed along with other hostages during WW2 in retaliation for a resistant attack in France.
He was the only one to get out alive because he ran towards the machine gun instead of away from it, and the machine gunner didn't have time to adjust until he was able to run past them.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer

Man it sure would be nice if the UI was actually designed around the mechanics that aren't a 1:1 NuCom copy.

The shot from return fire actually does hit, it just does 0 damage because it's hitting the shield arm.

ArchAngel

Arcane

In first video the commentator (you are the commentator UnstableVoltage ? ) said it is not intended (and I see below in his post he now says it actually all hit the shield but I need to add that was not easily seen, some of these animations and sounds for when bullets hit objects need to adjusted).

In second video UI says 5-9 damage but then only does 4 because some of the bullets did hit the wall.

EDIT: From what I understand the hit chance does not take into account cover, only basic soldier's hit chance from that distance. I think the UI is going to be very confusing to nuXcom players as they are used to UI giving very precise information.

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer

In first video the commentator (you are the commentator UnstableVoltage ? ) said it is not intended (and I see below in his post he now says it actually all hit the shield but I need to add that was not easily seen, some of these animations and sounds for when bullets hit objects need to adjusted).

In second video UI says 5-9 damage but then only does 4 because some of the bullets did hit the wall.

I am indeed the commentator. The reason I thought it had missed is because there was a bug in one build where the shot could miss at point blank on the diagonals, because the muzzle of the gun was clipping into the crabman model, and therefore the shot impacts weren't registering. I thought that had happened when I was playing for that video - but after watching the video back frame by frame, you can see a "0 damage" indicator above the target, not a "missed". We're planning to make the mitigation of damage clearer on the UI, "deflected" for example.

The damage amounts can also be slightly off depending on the body part that is hit, as different limbs can have different armor values.

Spockrock

Augur
I've read the last 10 pages of this thread, and two things kinda confuse me.

1. all the new X-Com UI hate - I'll be the first to admit, I hate that piece of shit game, I couldn't handle more than 2 hours of playing Firaxis's X-Com - a lot of you seem to be missing a crucial point: it became so popular with gamers in some part due to simplified and streamlined UI. so it's only natural they want to use that stuff in PP, it has to be accessible to sell. if it sells well, then they can focus on a DLC for all you "hardcore" X-Com fans, even though I don't see any point in that because...

2. nobody in his right mind would want a straight up remake of original X-Com in a modern engine - that's a complete waste of time. why? because you can just launch the original and play that. why wouldn't you? what I (and any normal person) want from this team is something new, new ideas for combat, the strategic layer, base management. I bet JG has many ideas about what he would've done differently in X-Com if he had had the chance (I bet Apocalypse was very close to his ideal X-Com game at the time). I want to see where he takes this concept next. I don't want to see the same old shit with a facelift. and you should't either.

Mazisky

Magister
I've read the last 10 pages of this thread, and two things kinda confuse me.

2. nobody in his right mind would want a straight up remake of original X-Com in a modern engine - that's a complete waste of time. why? because you can just launch the original and play that. why wouldn't you? what I (and any normal person) want from this team is something new, new ideas for combat, the strategic layer, base management. I bet JG has many ideas about what he would've done differently in X-Com if he had had the chance (I bet Apocalypse was very close to his ideal X-Com game at the time). I want to see where he takes this concept next. I don't want to see the same old shit with a facelift. and you should't either.

Lel, i'll pay 300 Euros for a remake of Ufo defense on a modern engine.

A Ufo defense carbon copy with Xcom 2 engine would be the game of my dreams.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom