Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Maybe he should search for his luck in eastern Europa,after all most good rpgs lately are from here. To be honest Europa as a whole have produced some incline past few years.

Lhynn

Arcane
The companions for nwn2 werent badly writen, they were just uninteresting as concepts, and if you are playing it safe (and nwn 2 had a very safe and by the numbers OC) theres only so much you can do with those. With very few exceptions like the dwarf and the wizard most of them could have been replaced by nameless npcs and it would have been an improvement.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The issue I see with Avellone's post-Obsidian work so far is not so much that he's doing "small things" but that he seems to quietly slink away from projects after pre-production ends (ie, when the real dirty work begins). Which means even the small things he does tend to get washed away. He's not in it for the long haul.
Working independently means he can continue doing what he enjoys and not have to deal with colleagues growing to resent him. Writers are the centre of attention when a game is successful. He's no doubt sick of it at this point.

m_s0

Arcane
Not being 'in it' for the long haul was probably one of the reasons he chose freelance to begin with. He does whatever he finds interesting, finishes, submits, moves on. No glamour, but if you can find steady work and you have serious work discipline to manage this kind of approach, it's a neat arrangement that cuts out all the work-related bullshit.

Developer
The companions for nwn2 werent badly writen, they were just uninteresting as concepts, and if you are playing it safe (and nwn 2 had a very safe and by the numbers OC) theres only so much you can do with those. With very few exceptions like the dwarf and the wizard most of them could have been replaced by nameless npcs and it would have been an improvement.

Well, my opinion is that it's not the concepts - it's a writer's job to execute them so they are interesting (along with animation, voice actors, character modelers, etc.).

My stance has always been if you told me I had to write a character who "dresses up as a bat and fights crime and... oh, oh, oh... make his main nemesis a clown," I might think that was the stupidest concept I'd ever heard, but really, it's what you do with the concept, not the concept itself, that can shine. And that's the job. : /

Developer
chris I love you but... are you aware that your surname is not pronounced the way you do it in Italian? I mean, i understand as an American you are probably 5% Italian max or something.

Still love you.

I am not worthy of your love, but do you mean "Av-alone" (which I can definitely say is wrong b/c it was purposely Americanized by previous generations, which wasn't uncommon for immigrants) or "Av-alone-ee" (which I was told was the proper, original pronunciation).

Also, I discovered several years ago I'm not really "Sicilian" as much as a blend of Hungarian/German/(Scotch-)Irish... with a quarter Sicilian thrown in for good measure. And maybe a lot of Scotch in the Scotch-Irish part.

Lhynn

Arcane
My stance has always been if you told me I had to write a character who "dresses up as a bat and fights crime and... oh, oh, oh... make his main nemesis a clown," I might think that was the stupidest concept I'd ever heard, but really, it's what you do with the concept, not the concept itself, that can shine. And that's the job. : /
And you didnt even mention the batkid helper wearing shorts and pixie boots.

To adress your point, fair enough. Nwn 2 OC was bad and it mostly was the writers fault.

I never quite understood why you guys didnt go with a more personal story. The game kept focusing on the whole bunch of uninteresting characters and their mostly irrelevant conflicts.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, my opinion is that it's not the concepts - it's a writer's job to execute them so they are interesting (along with animation, voice actors, character modelers, etc.).

Fuck, you're reading this whole thread aren't you? ...ahem... I'd like to apologize on behalf of everyone here--certainly not just myself, no sir-ee--for the armchair psychoanalysis, frequent bitching and moaning, and excessive criticism. We just want more Avellone in its most concentrated possible form. Short of distilling your essence down into a liquid and injecting it into our eyeballs, the closest we can get to pure Avellone is by consuming your games, so naturally we all hope you'll work yourself half to death putting as much of yourself into them as possible. It's like we're all MCA addicts and someone has dramatically curtailed our supply. So of course we're fiending for more.

Not to turn on a dime and be a total prick, but if it's the execution that's most important, why does it seem like you've been doing a lot more of the big picture conceptual stuff lately? Do you think you'll ever come back to doing a higher proportion of the nitty-gritty execution again? What if we say pretty please?

Another very important question: when your story is eventually turned into a film, obviously Feargus will be played by Dan Harmon minus the beard. But who will play Chris Avellone?

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
I am not worthy of your love, but do you mean "Av-alone" (which I can definitely say is wrong b/c it was purposely Americanized by previous generations, which wasn't uncommon for immigrants) or "Av-alone-ee" (which I was told was the proper, original pronunciation).

Also, I discovered several years ago I'm not really "Sicilian" as much as a blend of Hungarian/German/(Scotch-)Irish... with a quarter Sicilian thrown in for good measure. And maybe a lot of Scotch in the Scotch-Irish part.

I always heard the first "Av-alone" being used in interviews and such, and at first I couldn't even recognize it as being Italian.
Second one seems pretty much ok exept the "ee" part, which should be something like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-mid_front_unrounded_vowel.
If you click on the "listen" button here in the Italian left section on https://translate.google.com/#it/en/Avellone you get how it is pronunced here.

Anyway, since Sawyer started learning German him being 3% German, wouldn't you want to learn Italian? It is very usefull if you want to join the Mob.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Chris Avellone don't believe the DNA tests. If you send you dna with different name in the same firm you will have totally different result.

Also faggot in a bat spandex fighting clowns is stupidest concept,made for kids and retards in their 30ties.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
And you didnt even mention the batkid helper wearing shorts and pixie boots.

To adress your point, fair enough. Nwn 2 OC was bad and it mostly was the writers fault.

I never quite understood why you guys didnt go with a more personal story. The game kept focusing on the whole bunch of uninteresting characters and their mostly irrelevant conflicts.

Personal stories don't sell. NWN 2 OC feels like something that was written on purpose to act as a sort of tutorial into the whole D&D thing for normies. They only allowed themselves to get serious with Mask of the Betrayer. NWN 2 OC was meant for people who never played D&D before, not you or I.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
or "Av-alone-ee" (which I was told was the proper, original pronunciation).

I have no idea how to render it phonetically, but this gets it right:

https://ttsreader.com/it/

I was going to record me saying it, but the cat knocked the mic on the floor behind the computer and i'm too lazy to pick it up at the moment.

Wait, i just realized i'm talking to sempai. Ayyyyy

Last edited:

Pizzashoes

Scholar
Fuck, you're reading this whole thread aren't you? ...ahem... I'd like to apologize on behalf of everyone here--certainly not just myself, no sir-ee--for the armchair psychoanalysis, frequent bitching and moaning, and excessive criticism. We just want more Avellone in its most concentrated possible form. Short of distilling your essence down into a liquid and injecting it into our eyeballs, the closest we can get to pure Avellone is by consuming your games, so naturally we all hope you'll work yourself half to death putting as much of yourself into them as possible. It's like we're all MCA addicts and someone has dramatically curtailed our supply. So of course we're fiending for more.

Not to turn on a dime and be a total prick, but if it's the execution that's most important, why does it seem like you've been doing a lot more of the big picture conceptual stuff lately? Do you think you'll ever come back to doing a higher proportion of the nitty-gritty execution again? What if we say pretty please?

Another very important question: when your story is eventually turned into a film, obviously Feargus will be played by Dan Harmon minus the beard. But who will play Chris Avellone?
Grow a spine or some class. This is pathetic. Also, Chris Pantalones

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom