Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I've met homeless hobos who looked more professional and respectable than this person. WTF?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Clicked the video,saw a creature and clicked it again...
despair.jpg

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
People are going to people, future generations are going to keep pushing boundaries, and what qualifies as professional or even acceptable demeanor will change accordingly. My parents used to tell me I'd never get a job that allowed me to have long hair and not wear a suit, because that was their reality. These days, I look at millennials in my workplace, who often seem to barely remember to shower, let alone find clean clothes to wear, (let alone focus on tasks for longer than ten minutes at a time), and wonder why they think that's acceptable. In ~5-10 years, it'll be them getting mad or annoyed by the newer generation, and in a few lifetimes, we'll all be fat blobs of flesh carried around on robot wheelchairs like in Wall-E.

Progress, in other words. :P

Duckard

Augur
To add something other than hairstyle commentary, I think she makes very good points about the nature of working in the games industry. Programming roles are highly sought after, but finding good people is hard because of the degree of specialization needed. Everybody wants to be a game designer or concept artist, but many don't have the talent for it. Emphasizes the importance of self-training and building a good resume & portfolio tailored to the specific role you are after. Emphasizes the importance of taking feedback gracefully. Mentions that pay is shit and people are routinely overworked. Talks about the various different roles on a development team at a high level.

A lot of this info might be obvious to folks who have been around the block, but it's good advice for inexperienced people and the delusional "idea guy" types.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
People are going to people, future generations are going to keep pushing boundaries, and what qualifies as professional or even acceptable demeanor will change accordingly. My parents used to tell me I'd never get a job that allowed me to have long hair and not wear a suit, because that was their reality. These days, I look at millennials in my workplace, who often seem to barely remember to shower, let alone find clean clothes to wear, (let alone focus on tasks for longer than ten minutes at a time), and wonder why they think that's acceptable. In ~5-10 years, it'll be them getting mad or annoyed by the newer generation, and in a few lifetimes, we'll all be fat blobs of flesh carried around on robot wheelchairs like in Wall-E.

Progress, in other words. :P
War is nice cure for progress mate,they do happen from time to time. Plague also is nice a antibiotic.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I don't think FO3/FNV qualifies as RTwP. Why are you inserting them in that category?
It's fair to say they don't.

I don't think I'd consider ME, FO3 or FNV RTwP, when the only way to pause was to bring up the menu or (in fallout's case) enter VATS. Those are all RT games. Or am I missing something?
ME brings up a specific interface for issuing commands while combat is paused. How is it not RTwP?

My argument here would be that they are action games due to the input, to do anything the player must have a constant stream of input. In RTwP games, which borrow from RTS combat the player does not have to sustain constant input to move, attack etc

Latelistener

Arcane
So many words, and yet, most of the time game design is made by complete retards (but with good portfolio).

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
To add something other than hairstyle commentary, I think she makes very good points about the nature of working in the games industry. Programming roles are highly sought after, but finding good people is hard because of the degree of specialization needed. Everybody wants to be a game designer or concept artist, but many don't have the talent for it. Emphasizes the importance of self-training and building a good resume & portfolio tailored to the specific role you are after. Emphasizes the importance of taking feedback gracefully. Mentions that pay is shit and people are routinely overworked. Talks about the various different roles on a development team at a high level.

A lot of this info might be obvious to folks who have been around the block, but it's good advice for inexperienced people and the delusional "idea guy" types.
Sounds like every fucking job with an advanced degree.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

People are generally overworked in my industry (management consulting) but they are also overpaid, go figure. Game development genuinely seems like the worst industry, by far, you could seek out as a programmer. I mean, we work A LOT but Game development seems like a neverending horror story by comparison.

Did some programming work for fin-tech and banks a few years back, now that was a cushy job!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Jason Lewis, senior environment artist who led the Mos Eisley project, started another (presumably personal) Star Wars fan project: a remake of the first level from Dark Forces: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/5lerE

jason-lewis-df-impbase-01-007.jpg

He came a long way: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/o52lB

fbe7WKV.jpg

cgK3rOW.jpg

V8uS4rC.jpg

EDzeHut.jpg

NfnEmxF.jpg

Dark Forces Remake - Phase 4

Here are some more updates to my Star Wars Dark Forces Level 1 remake project. I have been plugging away at the level here and there. It goes slower than I would like as I don't have a lot of free time these days, but I have managed to make some progress. The level is now fully traversable from start to finish, and I am now going to take a pass at setting up some scripting to make the door triggers and locks work properly as well as fixing some weird level streaming bugs I currently have. Also, now that the level is fully blocked out there were a few of you who had earlier expressed interest in helping out with this project, so I am finally at a point were coordinating that help is possible, so if you expressed interest before and I have failed to get back to you, please hit me up again as there is Lots of neat stuff to build if you would like to pitch in and attach your name to this project. As always, critiques and comments are always welcome. Thanks!

More images at the link.

Sentinel

Arcane
was this thread renamed? I don't remember ever posting here, or ever seeing this thread. Yet I have posts from yesterday

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

People are generally overworked in my industry (management consulting) but they are also overpaid, go figure. Game development genuinely seems like the worst industry, by far, you could seek out as a programmer. I mean, we work A LOT but Game development seems like a neverending horror story by comparison.

Did some programming work for fin-tech and banks a few years back, now that was a cushy job!
That entire consulting thing sounds like the biggest waste of money. I'm surprised at the figures these motherfuckers bring in. They probably make more than most scientists.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

That entire consulting thing sounds like the biggest waste of money. I'm surprised at the figures these motherfuckers bring in. They probably make more than most scientists.

Holy shit do we make more than scientists. my starting salary was quite a bit higher than most professors at my university... and then increased fairly rapidly.

I would argue though that what we do in many cases is pretty vital to organisations(although not always) but that we also are over used as a solution due to laziness and budgetary reasons (no money to hire people but they can pay consultants +200$ an hour).

Trashos

Arcane
You guys are joking, right? You want to make money, the most straightforward way is to go into consulting. Just know in advance that your employer is going to squeeze you like a lemon. And many (most?) people can't take the overworking in consulting companies for more than a couple of years.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is she going to join the strong independent women at BioWare?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom