Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Total War: Three Kingdoms - the next major historical Total War title set in ancient China

Tigranes

Arcane
As opposed to countries where every fucking retard is called David, or Jesus, or Vlad, or Potato...

I don't remember any strategy set in the West where each of the hundreds of characters is a variation of Jim Jones, John James and Jeff Jobs. We have invented names to tell people apart, not to yell "hey, Zhu Xhu" and have half the China wave back.

Oh yeah there's no way you could set a historical strategy game in Western Europe and have this result

220px-LouisXIII.jpg

Are

235px-Louis_XIV_of_France.jpg

You

220px-Louis_XV_by_Maurice-Quentin_de_La_Tour.jpg

Fucking

220px-Antoine-Fran%C3%A7ois_Callet_-_Louis_XVI%2C_roi_de_France_et_de_Navarre_%281754-1793%29%2C_rev%C3%AAtu_du_grand_costume_royal_en_1779_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Retarded

Gee, wonder why they added fucking numerals to their names. Probably because they are not chinese and prefer to tell their kings apart.

Not to mention these fellows did not rule simultaneously and you don't have to spend your time trying to figure whether Xhu Chu is currently ruling Dong Bong, or it was Cho Zho and Xhu Chu is at Bang Gang.

Their family members Anne, Maria, Marie, Marie Therese, Marie Louise, Louise Elisabeth, also say hi

Why would you have women in historical strategy? There is no cooking to be done.

Yeah, you had Louises and Ferdinands in Europe, you had Caos and Lius in China

Oh no Liu Bei and Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang they are so similar all the letters are the same i am getting dyslexia attack oh no

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As opposed to countries where every fucking retard is called David, or Jesus, or Vlad, or Potato...

I don't remember any strategy set in the West where each of the hundreds of characters is a variation of Jim Jones, John James and Jeff Jobs. We have invented names to tell people apart, not to yell "hey, Zhu Xhu" and have half the China wave back.
You obviously haven't heard about Vietnam, where about 40% or more of people bear the surname Nguyen (as they used to change their surnames in support of the ruling dynasty, no kidding). :lol:

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013

Aren't you from the magical land where everyone is called Fäggät, Bättfäkkäar and Dämbfäak and where the only historical battles were fought with dongs in saunas?

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
Total War games sell well because they are shiny, easily accessible combos of mass-stabbing simulators and map painters, thus fulfilling two basic human needs.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Also arguing about Chinese names forgets to mention that:

a) There's differences in tones
b) The actual characters might be different, even if in Latin characters the names are identical.

As to my Civil War DLC suggestion, I meant the one resolved in 1949 and I made it in jest.

Otherwise the potential for milking the Chinese map is endless: Warring States era, Mongol invasion, etc etc. Which is actually what I hope will happen, since it's unlikely that Japs or Chinks themselves will make anything that's not based on Three Kingdoms.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

You obviously haven't heard about Vietnam, where about 40% or more of people bear the surname Nguyen (as they used to change their surnames in support of the ruling dynasty, no kidding). :lol:
A small statistic of Prague's elementary schools. Most common student's name is Nguyen. (czechs should really do something with immigration policy.)

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
All that matters is they don't hard code shit like realm divide and horde, and CA improve the AI (hyuck, hyuck). Failing that, go bitch about the setting. Christ all mighty, they're just unit reskins, one game to the next. The next historical game will be all new code, or so they've said. Look for Medieval 3 then.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Total War games sell well because they are shiny, easily accessible combos of mass-stabbing simulators and map painters, thus fulfilling two basic human needs.
You do know these games have difficulty sliders right? And they also have an elementary unit-counter dynamic. Among many other things someone who's actually played them would know about.

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
You do know these games have difficulty sliders right? And they also have an elementary unit-counter dynamic. Among many other things someone who's actually played them would know about.

Yes, I know, I have played them since TW:M. I actually do enjoy playing them, and was giving a tongue-in-cheek answer to why someone might play them. That being said, the difficulty sliders aren't really a strong point of the series - especially in TW:WH2 where the sliders are broken, and sometimes have the reverse effect (Easy gives battle bonuses to the AI and Hard gives gives battle handicaps to the AI).

Young_Hollow

Liturgist

Yes, I know, I have played them since TW:M. I actually do enjoy playing them, and was giving a tongue-in-cheek answer to why someone might play them. That being said, the difficulty sliders aren't really a strong point of the series - especially in TW:WH2 where the sliders are broken, and sometimes have the reverse effect (Easy gives battle bonuses to the AI and Hard gives gives battle handicaps to the AI).
My apologies then. Warhammer seems fucked up as a person who hasn't played it looking in, and expecting a TW similar to the historical ones. IMO, you can make TW as easy or as fucked up for yourself as you want, but the nature of at least some mechanic is so that you will face some kind of adversity eventually. CIP stuff like public order or not having an army at a particular place, or not having enough armies despite having enough money that can screw you pretty hard even on lower difficulties. So I wouldn't say difficulty is clicker level unless you mod it to be that way.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
I don't know if this is a controversial opinion but I felt that Total War: Warhammer was the first fun TW game in a while. Total War's AI is too dumb, the battles are too fast and the scale is too small for their historical games to work as satisfying historical warfare simulators, but it actually manages to create some fun, goofy fantasy action. (And yeah, it feels nothing like WHFB, but WHFB was a terrible wargame in the first place).

Also strangely enough they finally seem to be opting for a more top-down rather than bottom-up way of modelling units through abstract unit-wide stats and such (which is odd, since WHFB was probably the most bottom-up wargaming system in the industry) which could actually work to help provide more satisfying historical simulations, if only they could lay off the ADD hysterical clicking and breakneck speed in their battles.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Wow really? That's pretty fucked. Are the bonuses reasonable at least? In Rome Total War the difficulty settings do stupid shit, like making peasants fight en par with Urban Cohorts.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow really? That's pretty fucked. Are the bonuses reasonable at least? In Rome Total War the difficulty settings do stupid shit, like making peasants fight en par with Urban Cohorts.
Would actually make sense in this game!
Have you ever seen one of those 70s martial arts movies from China? Every single peasant is a martial arts master!

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Have you ever seen one of those 70s martial arts movies from China? Every single peasant is a martial arts master!
You understand peasants in old China didn't have anything else to do during vegetation cycles than training, they didn't have TV. And when they would observe grass growing, they would call them lazy bums.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
You understand peasants in old China didn't have anything else to do during vegetation cycles than training, they didn't have TV. And when they would observe grass growing, they would call them lazy bums.

That, or auspicious masters of philosophy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
You mean like any other peasant in the world. You forgot to mention the most important tool of entertainment during the cold periods....the wife. They could even slap her if she talks. Also they had pubs.

Anyway,the game have the air of fail around it. Just like Warhammer 2,had to google it to see what was their last game,it is that forgettable. Their games have become a mishmash of different genres,they try to make governing and diplomacy more complex and manage to make it tedious shit,while they make battles dumbed down. Still the game looks interesting but most likely will be shit.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Delayed to Spring next year, but have an in-engine trailer featuring Cao Cao:

Total War: THREE KINGDOMS is the first Total War game to take inspiration from a romanticised version of History. Influenced by Luo Guanzhong’s 14th century historical epic ‘Romance of the Three Kingdoms’, it follows the dramatic lives and deeds of near-mythical warlords and their retainers in 2nd to 3rd century China as they try to unite the country under their rule and forge the next great dynasty. Revealed in this first in-game cinematic is one such leader with designs on being the one true ruler of China, the cunning strategic mastermind, Cao Cao. Bringing grand speeches, breath-taking siege battles and legendary duels to Total War: THREE KINGDOMS, Cao Cao will no doubt be the leader of choice for players who enjoy a “divide and conquer” approach.

Also status report from TW teams: https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-june-2018

What the Teams are Working On June 2018

The Total War teams have been very busy with some very exciting stuff in the time since we last updated you, and with E3 on the horizon you can be sure there’s plenty to look forward to.

Without further ado, let’s turn you over to the teams themselves…

Saga Team – Thrones of Britannia
Thrones-of-Britannia-1024x576.png

With the first big balancing patch now out there and serving up a bit more challenge to players (along with a number of other improvements), the team has begun working on something new for Thrones of Britannia.

Those who have been craving a little more gore as they raid, pillage and, conquer will be pleased to hear that a Blood Pack is currently in development. It will be similar in scope to the Blood & Burning pack for Attila, sharing some of its effects, along with new content created just for Thrones.

It’s going to be ready this summer (most likely July) and we’re planning to make it available for free to players that already own Blood & Burning for Attila. We’ll release more details on it closer to the time, along with a more general update on future plans for the game.

Historical Team – THREE KINGDOMS
Three-Kingdoms-1024x576.jpg

A few months back we were finally able to reveal the Total War: THREE KINGDOMS to the world and we’re glad so many of the community share that feeling of excitement. Three Kingdoms China is a period we have been asked to explore for years now, and it’s always great to be able to announce a project that a huge number of Total War players have been desperate for.

THREE KINGDOMS will be the first Total War game to tackle ancient Chinese warfare, so everyone on the dev team here is thrilled to be bringing this epic period to life and delivering an awe-inspiring sandbox for players to conquer.

We’ll have lots of exciting news to share with you in the coming months, and it all starts later this week. With E3 just around the corner, keep your eyes on our social channels for all things THREE KINGDOMS over the coming days and beyond.

ARENA Team – player-led game updates
Arena-1024x576.jpg

Currently the ARENA team is working on lots of player-led changes. We recently increased the general progression speed of the game, and we’re launching lots of small-scale experimental tests with the community to help improve the matchmaking. We also recently launched season two of our developer livestream series The War Room with a brand-new player-led format.

Alongside this, we’re still working on Ranked mode, a new Barbarian commander (coming soon to the battlefield), and another faction. We’ll be hosting a public test server of Ranked mode soon, so if you’re interested in the more competitive side of Total War: ARENA then be sure to stop by, especially with the numerous official and community tournaments currently going on.

To stay up to date on ARENA news, be sure to follow the Total War: ARENA Facebook and Twitter and tune in for the livestreams on Facebook and Twitch.

Fantasy New Content Team – WARHAMMER II
WARHAMMER-II-1024x576.png

The Queen & The Crone is the latest release from the Fantasy New Content Team, which also added a wealth of content for the Mortal Empires campaign. Not only that but we also breathed some life into older factions. This time we focused on the Dwarfs and the much-requested move for Ungrim Ironfist to start in his rightful place in Karak Kadrin, not to mention the Bone Giant being released alongside the Skull for the Skull Throne promotion (so if you own Tomb Kings, you now own the Bone Giant).

Please note that this week we’ll be opening a public beta to fix some of the known issues that we mentioned in the patch notes last week – keep an eye on our social media channels if you want to opt in.

As for what we’re up to next: what we can say is that we’re working on the next campaign pack for Total War: WARHAMMER II, but it’s a little while off yet.

Historical New Content Team – ROME II
ROME-II-Resized.jpg

As we mentioned in the last blog, we’re currently working on a big feature as the free content update for the next campaign pack for Total War: ROME II, which we’ll be opening for a public beta once we’ve announced the content of our new campaign pack. This helps us to ensure that we’re giving all of you the chance to get hands-on with a new feature that will affect the entirety of ROME II’s Grand Campaign. We’ll be sharing more on this very soon…

Apart from the Free-LC, the historical new content team is also developing a campaign pack set in a specific location and time period. This particular combination of time and space has barely been touched by ROME II’s current content and comes with a very detailed new campaign map, brand new units, and factions familiar and new. There are also a number of new gameplay mechanics that aim to explore other ways of conducting total war in ROME II.

Fantasy Team – pre-production
CA-Generic-Cropped-1024x555.jpg

The Fantasy Team has begun pre-production for their next game, and it’s taking them to some dark, dark places. We fear they may never return – not with minds and souls intact, at least.

We’ll update you with more details when it’s safe to approach them.

Access Team
Total-War-Logo-1024x576.png

Total War Access has been hard at work ensuring its compliance to GDPR – some of you no doubt saw our re-consent campaign in recent weeks! Big thanks to everyone who did re-consent – we appreciate you giving us permission to stay in touch. If you missed the re-consent emails and would like to join our newsletter list, please visit the Total War Access dashboard here.

The Access team is still working on a range of projects to bring new content to Total War fans – expect to hear more about these soon! If you want to be first to know, sign up here.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
By this point i wouldn't mind seeing them crash and burn. Haven't enjoyed a Total war game in a long time.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I still don't get why the return to Rome 2 of all modern games for new content.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Unless they intend to backport the tweaks to combat from WaWa or Attila I don't see how new content for R2 will make anyone care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom