Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

It's better if Americans do not pose for pictures since they have seem to have made a point to bloat themselves as a defence mechanism.

Like those blowfish

I bet Deadfire is gonna have like 3 blowfishes that you can put in your aquarium

Mazisky

Magister
So, all the official hands-on and previews are on beta content...nobody has tried the full game it seems.

I wanna read something about the Big city

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So, all the official hands-on and previews are on beta content...nobody has tried the full game it seems.

I wanna read something about the Big city

Maybe we'll get something at GDC. Things should be warming up now, marketing-wise.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
watch out obsidian, a poor bulgarian who is always boasting about pirating games is NOT going to buy POE2... better fill out that bankruptcy filing quickly, y'all are DONE
Also boasting about buying games that i support,like most of obsidian games ;). Still,nice jab mate :salute:. I genuinely laughed.

On the PoE side,i just replayed the game and am still impressed how bad the main story. The main "villain" is pretty interesting as a character but it is terribly implemented in the story. For most of the story i didn't know why my protagonist is doing the thing he is doing. Why should i care about children not getting born or some gods petty squabble. Also it is interesting how everyone assumed that i am in shock because some insane woman that i knew 1000 years ago said that gods don't exist. The whole story is about seeing some un/natural storm that sucked my soul in the right places,then seeing some guy that i vaguely remember from 1000 years ago and decide to follow him around to see what is he up to. Most of the main quest have zero motivation for the main character.

Mazisky

Magister
Those guys are old...it seems that cocaine have more positive effects than negative.

I've gone to a concert of them in my country 3 years ago, he just runs and jumps like supermario while singing for 3 hours....i really don't know how he can.

Sentinel

Arcane

I went to both shows of this tour in Melbourne! Fuck that song is amazing live
Absolutely. Saw them in 2016, and I have never quite felt so high in my life. And I wasn't even on drugs. When that build up at 9:20 came, so did I. I have no idea how these 70 year old guys have the physical endurance to do this shit at their age for close to 3 hours, especially Bruce & Nicko McBrain. Mad fucking respect to them.
They don't make musicians like these anymore.

Tygrende

Arbiter
For most of the story i didn't know why my protagonist is doing the thing he is doing. (...) The whole story is about seeing some un/natural storm that sucked my soul in the right places,then seeing some guy that i vaguely remember from 1000 years ago and decide to follow him around to see what is he up to. Most of the main quest have zero motivation for the main character.
I see a lot of people saying this and I don't understand why. Unless you are skipping all the dialogue that is.

You have a very solid reason to be looking for Thaos, he's the person that triggered your awakening. Watchers with awakened souls eventually stop being able to tell the difference between real life and memories from their past life, ending up insane. Resolving whatever unfinished business your past self has with him is your only hope to prevent this, not to mention that he's a member of the Leaden Key and if anyone knows how to cure your condition, it's them. All of this is explained and witnessed when you meet Maerwald, which happens relatively early and this is when you start looking for Thaos. You are on a quest to save your own sanity. The hollowborn, god shenanigans etc. are just background stuff you don't really have to care about if you don't want to.

There's a lot of bad things that can be said about the story in PoE and the whole game in general, but lack of motivation for the main character to pursue the main questline is not one of them.

Sizzle

Arcane
Most of the players here don't have a problem with the motivation per se, but the presentation.

The way that it was presented to the player was flimsy and unconvincing, even if it made sense.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of the players here don't have a problem with the motivation per se, but the presentation.

The way that it was presented to the player was flimsy and unconvincing, even if it made sense.

Unconvincing? You’re seeing dead people all over the place. Whenever you tell anyone you’re a watcher, their response is typically along the lines of “you poor bastard.” When you meet Maerwald, it’s pretty fucking disturbing to know that’s going to be you.

There were a lot of things Pillars 3.0 could’ve done better, but this is not one of them. Why should the Watcher want to prevent his own inevitable madness? This seems self evident and no less flimsy than, say, The Nameless One wanting to die.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You are seeing dead people very rarely actually. And that doesn't seem to be a hindrance in any way, quite the contrary, you have problem-solving powers related to them. It seems more a blessing than a curse. The only hindrance we ever see is the alleged madness that will come in 2-3 decades or even more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom