Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

That feeling when you don't have a good RPG you're currently playing or to look forward to

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Does anyone else get legitimately depressed when they don't have a good or at least decent RPG to look forward to playing after the day's over or whatever?

I've found over the years that the anticipation of having a game I enjoy playing can really boost my personal productivity, my mood, and my overall attitude towards life. If there's nothing that I'm currently enjoying, at least having one close to release helps, knowing I don't have to wait too long.

But if there's nothing that I want to play, and nothing that looks good coming out for months or even years into the future, I can get into a real funk. It can get bad enough that I have to force myself to go back in and try to finish some of the games I never completed, pushing through the grind of what caused me to stop playing them in the first place, such as with something like PoE or Wasteland 2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
A non-existing problem for me.
Still only got to 1999 on my chronological play list.
And if I should ever become up to date, I will have forgotten nearly everything about the oldest games, so I can just replay the best ones. Had a blast recently replaying Might&Magic 1 which I played seven years ago, since I had forgotten most of it.

On the other end of the spectrum you have people like Roqua who gets downright angry at there being no "real CRPGs" to play anymore.

It could possibly be a problem 10+ years ago having "nothing to play".
But we now live in a time where nearly every old game (and movie, magazine, comic and book) is available either dirt cheap or free, so there's a huge repository to choose from unless you abolutely must have the newest and shiniest things.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Does anyone else get legitimately depressed

I thought Jaesun was the fag?

Anyhow, I have to echo octavius. There are hundreds upon hundreds of cRPGs to play, readily available. The people who LOVE cRPGs actually have many more games to choose from that the current wave of "I love RPGs!" crowd of Bethesda, BioWare and CDPR fanboys.

I don't buy the "we have all those old games to play" argument anymore. I mean sure, there are some great old games, but back in the "golden age" (say late 90s, early 2000s), you had waves of games coming out that were pushing boundaries, maaaaan. Almost every game of note that came out was doing something new and exciting. So it wasn't just that we had a lot of great games, it was that the future was so bright for us poor blind bastards. Going by the level of progress we saw, we thought by now we would be playing fully simulated AI powered VR worlds where we would do whatever we wanted, constrained only by our imagination. We never saw the decline coming.

So yeah, I feel you Crispy, sometimes happens to me as well. I would say try to get different hobbies, so when one has downtime, you can switch to another. Or go into religion. :)

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
You could do what some of us do, and make your own CRPG while you wait. Either learn programming or pick up a toolset that doesn't require programming knowledge. Then, set out to make a CRPG that you'd want to play. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and you can lose more hours coming up with your own rules or quests than you ever would playing in someone else's playground.

I'm not even suggesting doing it on a commercial level. Just a hobby project. Like a Neverwinter Nights module or something.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
But seriously, try a different genre of game? If you combine that with octavius' answer unless you have no job, no family, no friends, live in antarctica and have somehow found a way to avoid needing to sleep you will NEVER run out of good games, even just playing strategy games eg. Paradox stuff could consume 1000s of hours*.

*and CK2 is basicly an RPG anyway if you have some kind of genre fixation.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
But seriously, try a different genre of game? If you combine that with octavius' answer unless you have no job, no family, no friends, live in antarctica and have somehow found a way to avoid needing to sleep you will NEVER run out of good games, even just playing strategy games eg. Paradox stuff could consume 1000s of hours*.

*and CK2 is basicly an RPG anyway if you have some kind of genre fixation.

I think the biggest issue, and this is where I sympathize with Crispy, is that there are many great games out there, but there is no way to know in advance which games you will actually enjoy. Throw in some analysis paralysis for good measure and you are pretty much screwed. I would have never picked up playing older RPGs if not because one time I said "fuck it" and started playing whatever I felt like playing at the moment, devoid of any retarded "MUST PLAY!!!1!" lists and recommendations.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Find a game on roll20 and play some PnP RPG. Better yet, get some friends and then force them to play a tabletop RPG with plenty of beer and snacks.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Pillars of Eternity 2, Underrail Expansion, The New World, Cain/Boyarsky sci-fi project, Wasteland 3, Beautiful Desolation, Bard's tale 4, No Truce for the furies, Copper Dreams, System Shock 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Battletech, ATOM..

At that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Nigga, how can you not be excited for anything right now? There's literally more good cRPGs coming out and on the way than in the past 5-10 years.

But I mean, I understand yeah, I'm that way, too. I actually just started poe again to prepare for poe2.

And I have a shitton of backlog games.

I don't have enough time to play everything is my problem :(

newtmonkey

Arcane
koni-.jpg

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Does anyone else get legitimately depressed when they don't have a good or at least decent RPG to look forward to playing after the day's over or whatever?

I've found over the years that the anticipation of having a game I enjoy playing can really boost my personal productivity, my mood, and my overall attitude towards life. If there's nothing that I'm currently enjoying, at least having one close to release helps, knowing I don't have to wait too long.

But if there's nothing that I want to play, and nothing that looks good coming out for months or even years into the future, I can get into a real funk. It can get bad enough that I have to force myself to go back in and try to finish some of the games I never completed, pushing through the grind of what caused me to stop playing them in the first place, such as with something like PoE or Wasteland 2.

I feel like by now we've got a good backlog out of several decades of CRPG's, many of which offer good replayability, wether due to mods or just mechanics. After PoE2 has come out, maybe a D:OS2 expansion, maybe a Numanuma expansion (I'm not counting Fargo out yet), maybe the release of Dungeons of Aledorn (not counting out those Czechs either), Bard's Talve IV, the Pathfinder CRPG, Neverwinter Nights EE (dem premium modules), I'll slowly stop buying games. There are many games I've only touched superficially over the years, I could get a lot more out of the Infinity Engine games, particularly BG2.

Throw in some turn based strategy, and that'll keep me occupied until my interest in vidya games vanishes completely.

edit: if it's not about having games to play but about having 'something new' and 'something to look forward to', well son, the problem is not video games. You just need something else in your life. The advice about dating wasn't completely off there.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have the opposite problem, a lot of games that I'm pretty excited about are coming exactly when I won't have any time to play. PoE2, Battletech... :negative:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It might be a more general case of gaming-related burnout, and anticipation in general I find overrated. There are tens, if not more than a hundred of good RPGs out there, particularly if one's not chronologically restrained; I've felt anticipation to be a helpful filtering mechanism for making a choice among them, but what you're describing seems to be a dependence on it. Maybe take a break from games in general and come back in about a month. I also second the suggestion of picking a few other genres; clearly a sentiment reflected in the Codex mentality given its secondary affinity for adventure games.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
If you want a GOOD RPG I recommend you take a look at this one.

Pro_Evolution_Soccer_2013_cover.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom