Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Ninjerk

Arcane
I believe giving credit where credit is due is important - even when the credit is for something you didn’t feel you did a very good job on.

So to clarify, yes, I didn’t design the original NWN2 OC companion concepts. This was done by the lead designer, who did the design doc for them and their arcs - this is not blame, since the execution of those concepts matter more, imo. I did write the majority of their actual dialogue, it’s what a narrative designer does on a project, whether it’s NWN2, NX1, or FNV. What’s posted above for my answer above is still correct to the best of my ability (although I can’t recall which interview that was or where it was posted, but I do recall writing it).

It is possible other writers wrote specific NWN2 OC companion interjections in specific acts (ex: BioWare interjection style for certain NPCs and quests), but any time someone spoke to the character in-game directly (their core companion dialogue), I did write that and some of the special events (the trial). The only one I’m not 100% sure about is Casavir. I did write Elanee, yes. Again, I don’t think any of them turned out especially well, but I did the best I could in the time provided, and the responsibility was mine to make them of high quality.

Also, I definitely wrote Sand and I wrote Grobnar’s core companion dlg – I recall Grobnar especially b/c I regretted I wasn’t able to make it to the VO session (there was barely time to write the dialogues, let alone go to recording) as the key with Grobnar was he was supposed to be speaking faster/manic, not normal pace. This happened with Oswald Fiddlebender in Icewind, too, although with Oswald, it was worse because he spoke very slowly, which made a lot of his hyperactive jokes even more painful to hear, even though I liked the voice actor.

However, I think events can get confused or misremembered over time and distance – I still get blamed for not supporting an Obsidian KS, for example, even though I was the first to advocate for it, and publicly so (it's still posted on the Obsidian blog). Still, I accept that my recollection of NWN2 companions may not hold much water, but in light of that, you could probably ask Tony, Michael Chu, Eric, John Lee (although he’s no longer at Obsidian, he did a lot of work on NWN2), Constant Gaw, George Ziets, or the NWN2 lead, Ferret, for their perspectives as well.

Also, now that I’ve seen the other posts on Soylent, to let you know - I'm not an advocate, but I’m lactose intolerant, so I have to branch out. : )
Could you comment on whether you're the Lord and savior?

LizardWizard

Cipher
Also, now that I’ve seen the other posts on Soylent, to let you know - I'm not an advocate, but I’m lactose intolerant, so I have to branch out. : )

ToastedCoconut_48ozBottle-014-1200x1200.500w.jpg

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't remember the NWN2 OC companions being particularly bad, even if they weren't inspired. Qara and Khelgar were really well done; the others, less so. But what's the benchmark here? "Poorly executed" for early Obsidian era MCA is still better than anything from BioWare. Who else was making CRPGs in 2006?

"Not Chris Avellone's best work" is a far cry from being genuinely bad. They're pretty solid so long as you're not grading them on a curve compared to PST or KOTOR2 or MoTB...

You guys don't think he reads everything in this thread do you?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Poorly executed" for early Obsidian era MCA is still better than anything from BioWare.

Strongly disagree. I hated the companions in NWN2 far more than any other Bioware character. MotB killed the most obnoxious of them because they were so terrible, and there was much rejoicing.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I believe giving credit where credit is due is important - even when the credit is for something you didn’t feel you did a very good job on.

So to clarify, yes, I didn’t design the original NWN2 OC companion concepts. This was done by the lead designer, who did the design doc for them and their arcs - this is not blame, since the execution of those concepts matter more, imo. I did write the majority of their actual dialogue, it’s what a narrative designer does on a project, whether it’s NWN2, NX1, or FNV. What’s posted above for my answer above is still correct to the best of my ability (although I can’t recall which interview that was or where it was posted, but I do recall writing it).

It is possible other writers wrote specific NWN2 OC companion interjections in specific acts (ex: BioWare interjection style for certain NPCs and quests), but any time someone spoke to the character in-game directly (their core companion dialogue), I did write that and some of the special events (the trial). The only one I’m not 100% sure about is Casavir. I did write Elanee, yes. Again, I don’t think any of them turned out especially well, but I did the best I could in the time provided, and the responsibility was mine to make them of high quality.

Also, I definitely wrote Sand and I wrote Grobnar’s core companion dlg – I recall Grobnar especially b/c I regretted I wasn’t able to make it to the VO session (there was barely time to write the dialogues, let alone go to recording) as the key with Grobnar was he was supposed to be speaking faster/manic, not normal pace. This happened with Oswald Fiddlebender in Icewind, too, although with Oswald, it was worse because he spoke very slowly, which made a lot of his hyperactive jokes even more painful to hear, even though I liked the voice actor.

However, I think events can get confused or misremembered over time and distance – I still get blamed for not supporting an Obsidian KS, for example, even though I was the first to advocate for it, and publicly so (it's still posted on the Obsidian blog). Still, I accept that my recollection of NWN2 companions may not hold much water, but in light of that, you could probably ask Tony, Michael Chu, Eric, John Lee (although he’s no longer at Obsidian, he did a lot of work on NWN2), Constant Gaw, George Ziets, or the NWN2 lead, Ferret, for their perspectives as well.

Hello my friend, I miss you and I don't care who knows it.

I'm glad for the clarification and the refresher, because like Sawyer, I remember incorrectly as well. I do think your answers are the definitive answers.

Before reading your response, if someone were to put a gun to my head, I would have sworn the following on a stack of Bibles (and been wrong apparently):

Khelgar - Avellone
Neeshka - Ferret and then Avellone
Elanee - Ferret and then Avellone
Qara - Fenstermaker... maybe?
Grobnar - Tony Evans
Casavir - Avellone
Bishop - Tony or Kevin maybe?
Shandra - Ferret and then Avellone
Sand - Fenstermaker (EDIT: I think this is because Fenster implemented the Trial, so I confuse that with writing Sand)
Zhjaeve - Ferret and then Avellone
Construct - was there any writing at all for Construct?
Ammon Jerro - Avellone

(Ferret and then Avellone) refers to writing and editing after Ferret... left.

and I would have sworn that for the expansions, you, Zeits, and Evans had written all the characters. What I do definitely remember regarding writing with you and Zeits, is that you credit Zeits for convincing you that a believable romance dialog was possible to write.... or something to that effect... maybe I don't remember hahahahaha.

Yeah... that project is a hazy memory now. I actually installed it recently and intend on playing it again.

I think all things considered, the game turned out ok.

I still miss you.

Last edited:
Developer
Anthony, I miss you, too!

My recollection is different than yours, including Casavir (who I suspect Chu took under his wing - I'll ask him). I also don't think Ferret had much time to write, but that's not a slam on Ferret, he just had a lot to do because a Project Lead/Lead Designer does, it's the nature of the role (it's why I advocate not splitting the roles into any more than two if you can help it). Ferret definitely wrote the summaries and arcs for each character for sure, I remember reviewing them as part of the GDD and later on for the companion writing.

I think the Construct was considered a "freebie," so I'm not sure how much writing was needed - but thanks for reminding me.

NX1: I wrote Gann, Kayelyn, and George, yes, was a huge help with the romance arcs (but he made it very easy for me when he outlined the specs and the reactivity for those arcs).

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is what I love about the Codex. There's like at least 3 different subreddits about Teen Mom but I bet none of them have Jenelle coming in to explain herself.

But seriously, Chris Avellone, your work has definitely had a positive impact on my life, and I love what you did with Into the Breach. I'm looking forward to unlocking all the characters so I can see what they have to say. Keep doing what you do.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I really liked Neeshka. And Qara and Sand were hilarious. Elanee good, and Casavir the most annoying of them all. Probably because he was intended to be love interest :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Flou

Arbiter

What? Don't you guys have proper lactose free milk / milk products in USA? Made from actual milk and not from what ever Soylent is made out of :D

Efe

Erudite
Chris make a game already. You heard him, Anthony misses you. What better occasion to get back together than a new game. (hopefully with you working on narrative rather than marketing like in ItB)

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
chris I love you but... are you aware that your surname is not pronounced the way you do it in Italian? I mean, i understand as an American you are probably 5% Italian max or something.

Still love you.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's unlikely that Chris will return to Obsidian, but I very much hope he will make new games, and not just as a guest writer and kickstarter personality, but as lead writer/designer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom