Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shrine of Orm - "Horror + Wizardry"

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sure, but let's be real... this is never going to make it. The project looks great, would love to play it, but no fucking way he'll get $90k.

Shrine of Orm costs $12, to reach the $90k goal he would need 7.500 backers. Meanwhile, Stranger of Sword City is amazing but only sold 11.000 copies on Steam in like a year. Blobbers are a very small niche, I'm not even sure a project like this can raise 10k. :/

Remember that Paper Sorcerer looked amazing, was released at the height of the Kickstarter craze and only got $13k.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93546740/shrine-of-orm/posts/1764635

What to expect from the gameplay of the Shrine of Orm #2

Hello there!

Here's the 2nd part of the gameplay mechanics video, I talk about the combat system and dungeon system. I managed to sqeeze in both into one video. Since the dungeon system is more geared towards visual and audial, there's not much to talk about it. I'll leave the link here:

If you got any questions, feel free to ask anything.

One more thing, I'll be doing some devstream on twitch during the kickstarter(and after it's over). It's mostly drawing assets and potentially playtesting, so if you're interested, I'll leave the link below. I'll also post an update here and on twitter when I go live.

https://www.twitch.tv/tilfinning

twitter

https://twitter.com/ShrineofOrm

Parsifarka

Arcane
For me the biggest issue is the release date: 2019. It's good that he keeps it real, but that's too far in time, lots of things can happen to a single man developing a game. Risky. He should have wait more to launch the Kickstarter or, as many of you have already said, give as something to taste already. "May 2017, with or without funding" would have had me throwing money to the screen.

Enviado desde mi Lenovo A1000 mediante Tapatalk

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
why would he set the price so high? i know that only autists enjoy turn based blobbers and thus, any creator of such a game can only be definition, be even more autistic; still should've known no way it'd reach 90k.

should've settled on a realistic goal of 10k, if not even less than 10k. wtf does he need that much money for? All turn based blobbers fans want is a turn based blobber with good systems/mechanics, so that immediately cuts out need for him to waste money on stuff like hiring a professional writer, or having to hire voice actors for anything, etc. these games can looks very very good while still being extremely low-budget affairs (case in points: Elminage: Gothic and of course, Stranger of Sword City).

i mean, most fans turn off stepping animation first chance we get. he should know, being a blobber fan himself, who he is trying to cater to. that big of an asking price only makes me think he wanted to include some form of cinematics or voice acting, as i can't think of any genre staple, or game playing mechanics, from "DRPGs", that would bloat the budget so high.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
He probably went with 90k because that'd be 45k/year worth of salary for two years, i.e the time he is expecting to spend working on the game. He set himself way above minimum wage which wasn't the right way to go. Anyway my hope is that this project does get at least 10k moneys if only just to show the creator that there are people who like this kind of game and even though the KS is a failure, he shouldn't be discouraged from working on Orm.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane
His timing sucked too. Backing a Kickstarter that's doomed to fail isn't much of a Christmas gift.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The budget is definitely going to be Animation - you can see from the videos that he has done some work in that department

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I really want this kickstarter to work out, and I tossed a pledge on as a sign of support, but there's no way this makes it. A mixture of being a very niche genre combined with enough failed/disappointing kickstarters having happened now means this is dead.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter ended with $4,260: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/93546740/shrine-of-orm/posts/1782281

Final Update

Hello there!

Finally the Shrine of Orm kickstarter campaign met its end with over 100 backers and over $4000 funded. Again, I'm really humbled to see such a large number trusting this project. Many thanks to anyone who supported, and especially those of you who went out of your way and spread the word out.

I wanted to talk to you a little bit about my situation when I started the kickstarter. I used to work full time in a company when I first started the Orm project. Shortly after the company shut down and Ilived off of doing freelances. It was a good opportunity for me to really focus on this project so I decided I'll stay like this for a while. I wish I could work in this fashion for a little while longer until I could really figure out the strategy on launching the kickstarter, but financially it wasn't possible. It came to the point where I really had to choose whether I work on Orm full time or find a full time job.

So I Launched the kickstarter last December with different kinds of hopes and expectations. One of them was obviously having a successful campaign. I was aware that the funding goal was really high, and the chance of succeeding on kickstarter was very slim. I don't mean this in a defeatist way though. I still had some ideas on how to make this happen, but unfortunately the chance never came. I'm still very glad the world got to know the existence of this project, so I have no regrets spending my time and energy on kickstarter and talking to you guys.

Don't worry, Shrine of Orm development will still continue. The only difference now is I will be working on this during my free time, thus the release date will be farther away. It could be 4 years, but I'm hoping it would only take 3 years. I'm still going to aim for 2 years though, because working on a project for a long period of time isn't healthy for both the game and the developer. I do have a couple of more ideas for the sequel as well, so if Orm receives good response I might get to work on those.

Some of you asked if I would open up a patreon account. To be honest, I don't know what I can give you back for supporting me through that platform, so I am still reluctant on doing it. At the same time, I guess it would be a bad thing if I refuse people who are willing to support out of good faith. Here's the link for any of you who are interested. https://www.patreon.com/Till Now that I opened up the patreon account, I'll try my best to bring you something special and exclusive from time to time.

Thank you for reading this till the end. It was a pleasure talking to you guys. I'll see you guys around.

Till

TL;DR: Shrine of Orm development will continue.

because working on a project for a long period of time isn't healthy for both the game and the developer.

Is this an omen?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

For some reason this came to my mind today, and wondered how things fared since the failed KS campaign.

Video update from last August, the developer talks about playable builds for public and Pateron and shows some footage (which is not to far from that was shown during KS):

Apparently no playable build is out yet.

But the developer has been posting cool art pieces over the years: https://twitter.com/ShrineofOrm

Yeah, art may look cool but it seems sketchy on game design and actual development part, like how the KS campaign was.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah this is looking like pure vapourware at this point. The guys got some artistic talent, but there's no way this ever gets finished.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
+ i really like the dungeon music on that video update

+ the cutscene looks awesome and reminds me of sega CD FMV games

- only 4 party members doesnt bode well for depth

- would trade cutscene for better stuff in-game (budget and time-table wise)

- seems like the dev would be happier making the cutscenes and animatics than the game

Last edited:

Shinji

Savant
Damn, this made me want another anime in the style of 90's Berserk or Record of Lodoss War.

Nowadays there is so much kawaii/fan-service stuff it gets on my nerves.

Till

Arcane
Developer
Hi, I've been meaning to talk to you all in this forum. Thanks for keeping the interest in my small game. It means a lot to me.

I know it's taking so long to finish the game, unfortunately I can't do anything but to ask you all to be patient with me on this. I still have to make my ends meet and working in an animation industry doesn't give me much free time to work on anything else.
It's probably right to consider this as a passion project, so it will be very difficult for me to scrap the whole project unless I drop dead.
The reason there will be a bit of cutscenes is because I'm just so fond of the japanese games around the 90s that have cool animated cutscenes.
reason for 4 party members is simply to make the combat design something I can handle. Otherwise I probably won't be able to manage it. I guess we'll see if the game has some depth to it or not in the final product.
I'm getting bit more popularity nowadays and with some of the ongoing animation projects(that I can't disclose yet) that I'm participating, I think I will be able to do another crowdfunding that will be more successful than before. I've also met some very skilled animators who will help me out on the cutscenes.
Although I must say I haven't been following how crowdfundings are like nowadays to know if people are still into this sort of thing.
I don't hate the kawaii/fan-service stuff that much, but it does bother me that there aren't that much variety in the game industry right now.
If I can add some variety to the pool, that would be enough for me.

Maybe this will take me 20 years like that other dungeon crawler, we'll see. But seriously, I really appreciate you guys talking about the game.

I'll visit from time to time and answer whatever comes up. Although I don't expect to see much for a while.

Last edited:

jungl

Augur
people waited 6 something years for stygs underrail. Grimiore manual is coming out "soon". Its all okay though everyone on the codex is a elf and our life span is 400-1000 years.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

:)

Art is so good, the game must get real.

holy shit, the art and animation are fantastic. Much better than all that low quality animation and copy paste art the japs are making the recent years.

Still this seems more like an animation project than an rpg.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I don't hate the kawaii/fan-service stuff that much
record_of_lodoss_war_deedlit_x_pirotess_by_hes6789-da14xqd.png

waifus with giant ears when? :shittydog::shittydog:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom