Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

Silva

Arcane
Finished it with the Judocas. Super fun making bugs kill themselves, but overall a subpar team. Meanwhile just beginning with Flamers and it's the most OP so far.

My ranking so far would be:

1) Flamers
2) Rusts
3) Blitz, Rifters
4) Judocas, Laser Kids

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
Idiot unable to read the next two lines detected.
Dude, you posted literally the easiest fucking setup that one cannot blunder and cried about the game being impossible half the time.
You should keep larping cooldown buttons in FTL, brah, and keep this thread idiot-free.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
understanding the AI priorities
Multitile attacks are obvious and half the game really. It'd be more interesting if someone told me how their artillery decides between building and mechs.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
Faggots in here who cry about replayability actually want larping. By their standards Chess has zero replayability. Same dubmthink.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
keep this thread idiot-free.
That's quite impossible, I don't have any mod rights to silence you.
And I have a feeling those that do aren't going to as you offer quite some laughs.

Faggots in here who cry about replayability actually want larping. By their standards Chess has zero replayability. Same dubmthink.
Sure, if Chess was on a random board that keeps changing, your opponent was rolling dice to determine their turn and you'd have to win at least 12 times in a row to get anywhere :lol:
Go on, though, you are incredibly amusing.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Chess has replayability and depth that has lasted over a 1000 years.

Call me when Into The Breach lasts 4 weeks after the launch.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
Leave it to the FTL larpers to completely miss the point.

Go on, though, you are incredibly amusing.
Aye :lol: post more screens dumbfuck :lol:
I literally had doable turns with 8 enemies on them. You cant grasp your mind around a single fucking bug targeting one 1 building. :lol:
But yea, FTL, much replayability :wow:

Cross

Arcane
It's a fun gane, but it's far smaller in scope than FTL, and therefore less replayable. On the surface, Into the Breach's encounters appears to have more going on due to the tactical grid, but in reality the opposite is true. FTL, despite its simple presentation, has much more happening on a moment-to-moment basis. Obviously, ITB's turn-based battles scratch a different itch than FTL's RTwP, but I'm talking about the amount of variables at play.

In FTL, the outcome of a battle can range from damaging the enemy enough that they surrender, destroying them, having to flee or getting a game over. And the first two outcomes can range from complete triumphs to Phyrric victories, and anything in between.

In ITB, you win or you get a game over, and any damage taken is completely restored after every battle, you can never run out of pilots or mechs. The three things that are affected are the power grid, island reputation and the capabilities of your pilots and mechs.

In FTL, the following things are affected: hull integrity, weapons, drones, ship systems, ship augmentations, fuel, scrap, missiles, drone parts, whether your crew survive, the capabilities of your crew and probably even more things that I'm forgetting about. And obviously, FTL's galaxy map and non-combat events allow for far more different ways to progress through the game's content than ITB's straightforward island structure.

Take something like visibility. In ITB you always see everything that's going on. In FTL your sensors can get damaged/hacked, making you lose sight of what's going in your own ship. Conversely, you may or may not be able to see what's going on in the enemy ship if you've upgraded the sensors enough. Nebulas disrupt sensors. There's also cloaking which can render a ship effectively invisible. And that's just one game mechanic out of many that have no equivalent in ITB, like having to repair damaged systems, managing O2 levels, dealing with hacking/ion effects, putting out fires, fighting off boarders, etc.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
And that's just on a tactical level. But the progressions and the reputation system is also incredibly shallow. Yeah you can buy weapons and various bonuses and shit. But in practice, I'm not going to experiment with some weird shit in an 1 hour game that's already 20 minutes from being over. So most of the reputation ends up being spent on reactor cores and the cores always end up going to the same two upgrades of HP and movement since those are the cheapest and usually the most impactful. It's just a poorly thought out system all around.

Silva

Arcane
And that's just on a tactical level. But the progressions and the reputation system is also incredibly shallow. Yeah you can buy weapons and various bonuses and shit. But in practice, I'm not going to experiment with some weird shit in an 1 hour game that's already 20 minutes from being over. So most of the reputation ends up being spent on reactor cores and the cores always end up going to the same two upgrades of HP and movement since those are the cheapest and usually the most impactful. It's just a poorly thought out system all around.
Edgy exagerations aside, you're right. They should add a bunch more islands and raise the requirement to hit last boss. This way you would have more time to explore all the paraphernalia.

Ultimately though, the game is about exploring tactical possibilities by combining mechs/pilots/islands. if you don't have fun with this kind of thing, well, the game won't be for you no matter how much content they add.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyone unlocked the secret squad yet?

Toughest achievement? I still haven't run into a secret pilot, maybe I'm just blind/inattentive, maybe they just don't spawn on Normal (I'm not playing Hard yet), no idea what's up with that. Already 10 hours played.

Arulan

Cipher
hardfinisheds6u9x.png

Well, it's certainly easier than FTL. My first two runs were completions on Normal and Hard respectively. Both of which with all objectives completed. I used Steel Judoka for my Hard campaign.

Hard was certainly more satisfying. All said, it's a pretty enjoyable game. I'll keep playing with the other squads for a while.

590380_201803052222427gup5.png

A good start.

590380_20180305230828zxur0.png

I made a pretty stupid mistake on the final mission here. I didn't know you could push the bomb, and accidentally knocked it into falling rocks. I had to sacrifice a unit to bump it back in.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
As far as I am concerned Hazardous and Zenith teams have been most fun to play so far.
Success with Judokas is still eluding me; main mech is solid, but those support artillery pieces are tricky to use.

Unwanted

Pequod

Unwanted
It's a fun gane, but it's far smaller in scope than FTL, and therefore less replayable. On the surface, Into the Breach's encounters appears to have more going on due to the tactical grid, but in reality the opposite is true.
Which is hilariously untrue. Never ever will you ever stare at a paused FTL screen and think what to do for even a minute!

FTL, despite its simple presentation, has much more happening on a moment-to-moment basis. Obviously, ITB's turn-based battles scratch a different itch than FTL's RTwP, but I'm talking about the amount of variables at play.
All of which are completely trivial, braindead reactionary clickers.

In FTL, the outcome of a battle can range from damaging the enemy enough that they surrender, destroying them, having to flee or getting a game over. And the first two outcomes can range from complete triumphs to Phyrric victories, and anything in between.
All of which are different names for scrap. So either you got enough scrap equivalent or you didnt. And just like Grid, Hull is unrepairable. Pilots in ITB are more important.

In FTL, the following things are affected: hull integrity, weapons, drones, ship systems, ship augmentations, fuel, scrap, missiles, drone parts, whether your crew survive, the capabilities of your crew and probably even more things that I'm forgetting about. And obviously, FTL's galaxy map and non-combat events allow for far more different ways to progress through the game's content than ITB's straightforward island structure.
All those things require 0.000 thought. And are inconsequential too. All there is, is grinding for scrap so you can buy bigger guns and gear to fight the ridiculous final battle.
Oh, and one of the worst binary CYOA adventures ("events") on the market.

Take something like visibility. In ITB you always see everything that's going on. In FTL your sensors can get damaged/hacked, making you lose sight of what's going in your own ship. Conversely, you may or may not be able to see what's going on in the enemy ship if you've upgraded the sensors enough. Nebulas disrupt sensors. There's also cloaking which can render a ship effectively invisible. And that's just one game mechanic out of many
Are you actually agreeing with me? Has anyone ever manned sensor?...

no equivalent in ITB, like having to repair damaged systems, managing O2 levels, dealing with hacking/ion effects, putting out fires, fighting off boarders, etc.
This shit is so brain-numbingly boring - its the reason larpers need be hanged.

The only thing FLT does better is larp and have a softer failstate which is explained by its triviality.
Really, there are like 3 ship types in FLT and the amount of overlap makes its actually 2 ships. So 2 replays.

boot

Prophet
I did steel judo on hard too. Didn't upgrade weapons at all, spent everything on reactor cores Grid power, had nearly 50% grid defense. 2 generics and the Asian sidestep pilot.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

CptMace

Self-Ejected
Well I tried the game for the first time and played for 3 hours straight. Pretty addictive indeed. However in only 3 hours it already started to feel a bit redundant. Unlocked two extra squads, the flamethrower one and blitzkrieg, gotta try them next time to see how different it feels.
I could never get into ftl for some reason. I suspect it had to do with the realtime with pause combat. Or maybe the occasional busy work in between them.

Arulan

Cipher
used Steel Judoka for my Hard campaign.
How did you do it? What pilot? What upgrades?

I had Prospero on my Judo Mech, and the rest varied a lot throughout the campaign. I ended up with Silica on the Siege Mech, and Henry Kwan on the Gravity Mech.

As for upgrades, I only bought Grid Power to bring it back up to 6-7 bars. I mostly focused on Reactor Cores, and the occasional good weapon. Vice Fist was my main attack for the Judo Mech throughout. The upgrade to 3 damage is pretty important, given the lack of damage for this squad. I'd swap between the upgrade to move and health depending on the battle, but once you get far enough, health is pretty important. For the Siege Mech, I used Cluster and whatever ranged weapon I could find, which was a rock throw (2 damage, push back around). Make sure to upgrade Cluster to avoid building damage when you can. I found Silica towards the end, but she pairs very nicely with the Siege Mech (attack twice if you don't move). The Gravity Mech varied throughout. I found Confuse, which flips an enemy around which I found better than the default Gravity Well. Eventually I also found a weapon that jumps in a line and pushes back around me which is what I ended up with. This is obvious, but perfecting each island gives you a lot of options/reputation to work with.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Finally got a secret pilot event on Hard (makes me think they spawn only on Hard?). Alas, in my excitement I bumrushed it and all my buildings got crushed.

Btw if they really spawn only on Hard it's pretty crazy. You have to break the mountain and stand on the broken tile which basically wastes two actions, of which you have none to spare in the first place. Cheeky. Fucking cheeky.

Cross

Arcane
The most annoying thing about the Judoka is that the game doesn't allow you to use the mech's move to grab and throw an enemy behind them if there's anything occupying that square, whether it's a unit, a building or a mountain. That restriction not only makes it less useful, but it also makes it a very boring and static ability.

Black

Arcane
Btw if they really spawn only on Hard it's pretty crazy.
They don't. They spawn on all difficulties but apparently the further you are into the game the more likely they are to spawn (eg higher chance on island 4 than 2)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom