Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Chess

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So who is going to win the Candidates? I'd put money on Aronian or Karjakin.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Karjakin is the most stable of them all. Aronian and Mamedyarov peaked last year, not sure if they can conserve their form.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
grischuk.JPG

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I watch the live coverage and it's incredibly funny. In the first episode Gustafsson seemed to be anxious of Sopiko Guramishvili's neckline, and never looked at her. Lately he recovers, often speaks like Pewdiepie and makes constant references to computer games and Eminem. Svidler looks like a shady Russian billionaire. I find it extremely funny to I once tried to look up negative stuff about him and nothing came up .. seems he is a completely respectable guy afterall :lol:

Burning Bridges

Karjakin is the most stable of them all. Aronian and Mamedyarov peaked last year, not sure if they can conserve their form.

I was rooting for Karjakin, but he is playing shit. I think his ego has been broken since the game against Misha Osipov.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Yea Svidler looks funny but is actually a real bro.
Karjakin plays abysmal. Also I like that apparently Kramnik, Aronian and Grischuk are going for it by not shying away from risky lines.

Burning Bridges

I still wonder what happened with Kramnik yesterday. He looked like he was going 3.5/4 which would put him clearly in the lead.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Well in that game both sides were about to win. At the end, it was the usual fatigue after 6h of deep thinking. Tbh most of these rollercoaster games are happening due to the shorter time controls. Qualitywise, a return to the classic controls, like 2h-40/1h-20/0,5h-rest would do.

Burning Bridges

Guess I am not enough into modern chess. But it's true what they were talking about in the commentary was more about time control. So yeah probably the situation was misleading because iirc Kramnik had a pawn waiting to promote.

I find these games somehwat instructional for a low level player like myself. In most games both sides create their own attack, there are pass pawns on the seventh rank in almost every game, and sometimes there are 3 or 4. I also like those games where pieces are spread over the entire board leading to virtually impossibly calculations. Such games would completely overwhelm a player like me because even if there is a secure exchange the move order in most lines decides everything. They also throw in checks with pinning or forking attacks. Looks easy when it's on the board but very complex to get to those situations.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Also he makes a lot of Hearthstone references during his commentaries. Apparently he's a beast Arena player and really likes Warlock. It's comforting to see a fantastic grandmaster enjoying stuff that's a bit more down to Earth.

Also, I think the usual crew from St. Louis Chess Club tutorial videos is pretty good at commentary, though I'm still a bit flabbergasted about that time Ashley went "Carlsen why are you so shit at this game, you missed a computer move, why are you slumping" and then everyone was very offended when Carlsen actually talked back.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Maurice ashley is a perfect embodiment of what I cannot stand about US-americans.

Burning Bridges

Also he makes a lot of Hearthstone references during his commentaries. Apparently he's a beast Arena player and really likes Warlock. It's comforting to see a fantastic grandmaster enjoying stuff that's a bit more down to Earth.

Also, I think the usual crew from St. Louis Chess Club tutorial videos is pretty good at commentary, though I'm still a bit flabbergasted about that time Ashley went "Carlsen why are you so shit at this game, you missed a computer move, why are you slumping" and then everyone was very offended when Carlsen actually talked back.

Those commentaries are very funny to a degree, because Chess Grandmasters are smart. It only becomes repetitive after when they repeat their repertoire. Gustafssons jokes are - like any funny German - mostly from home preparation and his pretended boredness is getting a bit old. But they are sometimes funny. Yesterday Peter held a monologue that everyone show always have a prepared list of bad movies that you can recommend and then recommend them again so the other person must watch them. Then when asked to name a few himself, he went *uhm oh uhm* and couldn't name a single one :lol: he then abruptly changed the topic to chess and Jan was so shocked he couldn't even joke about it.

Burning Bridges

If Caruana wins, this is gonna be a boring fight for the Title. Carlsen is almost 100 points higher than any of those guys. I would have like to see Kramnik who at least risks something, or maybe Grischuk, even Karjakin.

I can now understand why Reykjavik was such a historic fight, it must have been awesome to not know what happens. Even Karpov - Kasparov must have been amazing compared to this pawn pushing right now.

Burning Bridges

2843-2784 = 59

(my mistake was Carlsens highest ELO of 2882, I did not check the current standings)

Burning Bridges

Wow, I did not watch the live coverage and amazing things have happened. Karjakin has now won 3.5 points from his last 4 games, and actually taken the lead.

He and Caruana have 7 and 3 more players have 6.5 points

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Black could checkmate white on 15th move with knight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom